Quinn007 22-Aug-14
Big Bull-E 22-Aug-14
Turkey Hunter 26-Aug-14
Stick1@work 26-Aug-14
Stick1@work 26-Aug-14
twojump 27-Aug-14
Big Bull-E 27-Aug-14
19-Aug-14
Hey All, New to the site. My group is planning our week long hunt for opening day to the Desolation Unit. I know in the past it has been a pretty popular area for early bow. Since the unit has gone to Bull only, has the amount of people in this unit decreased? I've been hunting up there since 2000, but took a few years and went to Northside and Santiam instead, which was pretty barren. Im hearing the numbers in and around Desolation might be descent this year.

20-Aug-14
Sounds like the population is healthy. You will just need to get off the road a bit.

20-Aug-14
Hoping so. Yeah we usually pack out around 5 am and walk out about 5-7 miles a day. Not a believer in the road hunting tactic. We have some good wallows and bedding areas that seem to usually have animals around. A good hike to get to but worth it.

20-Aug-14
Don't expect them to be bugling. They will be sneaking in silently most likely. Good Luck!

20-Aug-14
Can't say that area has ever been real hot with the Elk screaming...always get a few random bugles or grunts, or you get one answer and that's it. Had a 4 point come into within 15 yards of me and never made a sound, the guy that was calling for me didn't even know he was there. Unfortunately was never able to get a shot off. thanks for the tip!

22-Aug-14
The pressure there quiets em down, but they are never talking that much during the opener. I look for serious partying to start more around the 15th or 16th usually. Last year I chased screaming bulls for 4 days solid before I dropped mine. Then it stopped like a switch was flipped...

22-Aug-14
Were changing it up a bit...we usually go over there around the 15th or 20th of Sept. Going opening week this year, so hopefully the animals will be a little less pressured and we can get into them. don't expect them to be screaming, but hoping we can use cow calls and get something to come in on us.

26-Aug-14
Good Luck May your arrow fly straight and true. We Will try them in October!!!

26-Aug-14
I'll be down Thursday night. Setting up camp off the NF 1010 road across from the Basin Creek trail head. White 4 door Z-71 with Alabama plates. Y'all swing by and we'll have a beer!

Warren

26-Aug-14
....and welcome to The Bowsite!!

27-Aug-14
I'm heading over on the 18th and I'll hunt the rest of the season.... I've tried early middle... now I'm trying late.... We will see! Good Luck

27-Aug-14
Thanks guys, just might take you up on that Warren, were going to be in the Cow Camp Meadows area, Camp Trailer and a Tent. Good luck to you too...you came a long way to hunt, you got family around here?

• Sitka Gear