Contributors to this thread:
LIBuck 19-Aug-14
Fulldraw1972 19-Aug-14
oldgoat 19-Aug-14
Barty1970 20-Aug-14
LIBuck 26-Aug-14
Fulldraw1972 26-Aug-14
19-Aug-14
I have been trying to make it out to CO for a few years, and have carefully read every elk post for the last 3-4 years learning everything that i can, but have never been able to get away from work etc... i found out earlier today that I will be able to make the trip this year Sept 12-22 so I quickly booked a flight, ordered a map from mytopo, and called the DNR in gunnison.

I don't know much about 53 except that it is close to gunnison, has OTC tags, and according to past posts i have read on bowsite, it gets alot of pressure.

to be honest, i was a bit surprised that the DNR rep didn't seem too knowledgeable, and i was very surprised to hear from the DNR person that there are only 3 access points into Unit 53... minnesota creek, kibbler pass, and smith fork.

i'm not looking for any secrets here - but if anyone can provide any info on these access points? the most important question being is there any of these points that DON'T have good water around?

at 5-11 170 lbs i'm in pretty good shape for a flatlander, but i'm realistic. i'm not used to the altitude, and i haven't been training super hard although that changed today.

i won't have horses, but i will have a buddy to help w/ any potential pack out. I am thinking that I will be best served by staying within 3-4 miles from a car - or at least a major trail.

i have read enough elk posts on bowsite to know that alot of guys talk about needing to get way back in the back country, and alot of other guys say that they never understand why they walk past all the elk that are a mile or 2 from the roads.

based on all my reading here and my own limitations (flat lander w/o horses) i think my best strategy will be to identify 3 likely areas, and then prepare to spike in for 2-3 days at each of these spots. if i find stinkin' hot sign, i'll stay in the area. if not, i'll move onto the next spot. I also realize that there aren't many areas where you can drive in unit 53, but i think i would be well served by driving and glassing as much as possible - are any of the 3 access points better suited for this?

any and all advice is appreciated! especially by PM if you don't want to put anything out there....

thanks

19-Aug-14
I would get on google earth or bing and look for Elky areas. Another good map I like is the nat geo trail maps. I can't help you on where to go but I have thought about coming in thru 53 to hunt soap park in 54. I do hunt in 54 really close to 53.

Maybe try and look at all areaa up to 3 to 4 miles from all access points. Maybe Bake will chime in. I believe he has hunted it in the past.

19-Aug-14
Haven't hunted there but something to think about, if there are only three access points to the unit then you will probably be swimming in people around those points. Some places close to road can be fine, but in a place with limited access you will probably need to get farther in.

20-Aug-14
The CO stats for 2013 [for what they are worth] show an overall success rate of 16%...14% for 2012...and 14% over the five year average...'cum grano salis'

From the regional guide:

"Winter weather is almost guaranteed during any season in this area which borders the high country of the West Elk Wilderness. Altitude ranges from 5,400 feet near Hotchkiss to more than 12,000 feet in the wilderness. The range in elevations and the topography create volatile weather at all times of year. These GMUs contain abundant public land: 90 percent of GMU 53, 60 percent of GMU 63. When snow falls, herds move quickly to lower elevations on the western ends of the units.

GMU 53 contains rough terrain and access is on rugged 4WD roads and foot/horse trails. Hunters should be prepared to hunt in difficult terrain. Packing an animal out in this area is challenging. Do not count on moving a vehicle close to the kill site.

If there is no snow, elk will likely be scattered throughout the high elevation landscape. Hunters will be most successful by walking along transition areas up high."

Good luck and good hunting!!

26-Aug-14
questions for anyone who knows Unit 53.

i realize its a big unit, but if you can generalize that would be great. if you can PM we so we can talk more specifics thats even better.

1) water access - looking at a mytopo map - there are lots of streams etc in the unit. they are down low. is it safe to assume that most of the mountains have some sort of natural springs that are leading down to the streams?? or will i be going up and down to the streams?

2) any thoughts on gaiters? not sure how high the grass/vegetation etc is. i'm sure it varies, but any generalizations appreciated.

thanks

26-Aug-14
I know that area has been getting rain. The grass should be tall and green. I always wear gaitors. They help with the dew in the mornings and help keep your boots and pants clean from mud, sticks, dirt etc. I am guessing there will be some natural springs since I have found some in 54 and I hunt close to the line of 53.

• Sitka Gear