Toby 22-Aug-14
Archer Assassin 22-Aug-14
Archer Assassin 22-Aug-14
76aggie 16-Sep-14
BowCrossSkin 16-Sep-14
PAOH 16-Sep-14
TD 16-Sep-14
21-Aug-14
Looking for some decent base layers to wear as the day heats up. usually its in the 20's when we start early in the morning and gets up to mid 60's during the day.

I have looked at some camo light weight "under shirts" as I call them. Sitka, core4, under armour -

these freaking light weight shirts / pants are $60-$80.

Any one have any input on a dark colored light weight - moisture wicking base layer ? I don't care if its not camo - as long as its a dark color - and I surely won't spend that much money on a base layer.

any input ?

21-Aug-14
I really like Icebreaker merino wool which is available in a variety of colors and you don't have to pay the camo premium.

21-Aug-14
Merino wool for me. Dries fast, doesn't retain odor, multi-day wear without washing.

21-Aug-14
Merino wool for me too.

21-Aug-14
I use the Sitka Merino, and after having used others, it's my favorite. Wouldn't go with out it!

21-Aug-14
Looked up the icebreaker Merino wool - a long sleeve crew t-shirt is $119.00

21-Aug-14

buzz mc's Link
Look at Sierra Trading Post for Icebreaker stuff.

21-Aug-14
I use Patagonia bottoms and sitka tops. But neither of them are budget friendly.

21-Aug-14
I like the cabelas MTP base layer. I buy the silk weight.

21-Aug-14
I have some tops and bottoms that are made in the USA by Talent sport that I bought at Fleet farm.They come in two different weights and are reasonably priced.I also have some merino wool that I bought at walmart that are great but can't find them around here anymore.

21-Aug-14
Patagonia sells base layers in different thickness. I've had good luck with them and they dry out quick. I also use sitka if I want camo shirt.

21-Aug-14
X2 Backcountry & Russell as much as I wear them I can justify the cost, comfort is hard to put a price on if you've sweated out and then froze out skip the under armour , I've got several UA shirts in the closet that weren't cheap but I have little use for buy the good stuff on the first try I like a very light minus33 T shirt under everything, a lot of days I'll peel down to just it and wont stink like synthetics

21-Aug-14
http://coolclothingusa.com/

I'm going to try some of these.

21-Aug-14
olebuck,

I feel your frustration.

I bought a Merino Wool zip-Tee on Camofire for less than $50 bucks. I only wish I got two or three as they are high quality and comfortable. I still have a Cabela's Tec Silk that I like on warm days and a polypropolene/wool blend undershirt that works well on cold mornings on stand. I don't use longjohns unless it's real cold or under a rain pant of some kind. I overheat easy at my present size. The Core-4 merino is is in mothwing camo and I have warn it alone on occation to avoid getting overheated. Add a layer when I finsh my climb or to glass for any length of time. Expensive stuff but still a value!

LaGriz

21-Aug-14
Core 4Element merino wool from Camofire for me too. I have 3 sets, 2 camo and one black. I love them and just the right weight for a base layer.

21-Aug-14
you get what you pay for....merino is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. Keeps you cool when it's hot and warm when it's cold and doesn't smell bad like synthetics.

21-Aug-14
I haven't paid full price for any of my merino wool.

Camofire for camo layers (Core4, FirstLite)

Steep and Cheap for everything else (Smartwool, Icebreaker, Stoic, etc)

Love it all.

22-Aug-14
Ditto Cheesehead Mike.

For me merino wool is the only way to go. Core 4 Element is cheaper than the others and it shows up on Camofire all the time.

22-Aug-14
Most have stated above and are correct. You get what you pay for. Merino is the BEST material available right now. Once you own it you will know why. It's worth the money.

22-Aug-14
what about for extreme cold temperatures? which one will be your recommendations?e

22-Aug-14
I use the Base Layers by Medalist - http://medalist.com/products_huntgear.html good quality clothing that doesn't break the bank.

22-Aug-14

Archer Assassin's Link
I use the Base Layers by Medalist - http://medalist.com/products_huntgear.html good quality clothing that doesn't break the bank.

16-Sep-14
First Lite merino is hard to beat in my opinion.

16-Sep-14
Good will or a thrift store. You can get light merino wool sweaters for $3-6 I'm sure they did cost $80 new. Only problem you don't get to choose the color which sometimes is a little too dark.

First light, Kuiu and yes they are a little expensive.

16-Sep-14
Core 4 Element for me also

16-Sep-14
Merino here too. Some of the synthetics are very good, wear like iron, dry super fast, etc. But the thermal range isn't what merino is and most of the synthetics can get pretty rank after a few days where the merino is much better.

Kuiu has some new ultra light weight merino shirts for hot weather. First light is the highest quality IMO but more expensive. Kuiu really isn't too bad on price.

Honestly if it's price that's bothering you, hit ebay, etc. I've gotten several items in new or like new shape for much less than new prices. You'd be surprised how many folks dream about a back country adventure, buy all the latest greatest and then find out the back country adventure is too much adventure for them....

Do a little shopping, used, sales, etc. Be surprised how it all adds up over a few years and you're all geared up.

• Sitka Gear