Rick M 22-Aug-14
Fulldraw1972 22-Aug-14
TurkeyBowMaster 22-Aug-14
Quinn007 22-Aug-14
Big Bull-E 22-Aug-14
22-Aug-14

Big Bull-E's embedded Photo
Big Bull-E's embedded Photo
My group usually heads East around September 15th. This year we are going to switch it up and head over opening weekend. Seems like every year we have headed east later in the hunt, the animals are scarce, aren't bugling, or if they do, they are moving away. I think the early season is better for finding the bigger bulls. What are some calling/stalking tactics you guys use early in the season? Areas to look for? Thanks all!!

22-Aug-14

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Early on I usually try to locate bulls and stalk them. Don't call much. Just stalk/ambush

22-Aug-14
Get out and glass then mostly spot and stalk. They are curious and will come in to a call, raking etc. They may very well be silent so keep that in mind.

22-Aug-14
I am no expert by any means. Our plan for next weekend is to get to a good vantage point and spot them and move in on a stalk. With that said We are planning on some cold calling later in the morning thru early afternoon. Close to the bedding areas. We also know from last year a few areas they will be feeding and a few areas they bed. So we will be in between them areas.

From what I have heard things are really green. Lots of food for them. SO I hope things are close to what they were last year.

I am betting the bulls will be up a little higher and we plan on getting up there to find out.

22-Aug-14
I was told not to call to mantana elk because they will go the other way every time . The guy said he only hunted public so that might be the reason.

22-Aug-14
That early we will find an area with elk then set up and call for 30-45 minutes. Mimicking excited herd talk about every 5 minutes. Then move on. Bulls usually come in silently so be watching. I hope to bring one into my son next weekend doing it!

22-Aug-14
Thanks for all the tips guys...Getting the itch to get out there, this next week is going to be a long one!! Just about done getting stuff ready, all that is left to do is stare at it and watch the clock! Know of a few good spots to get set up and watch some wallows and feeding/bedding areas. planning on doing some light cow calling and minimal bugling, nothing too aggressive to test it out for a few days and go from there....Good luck Quinn007, hope your son gets that rush and your successful! Good Hunting Y'all!!!

• Sitka Gear