Ylpmin 25-Aug-14
idacurt 25-Aug-14
Brun 25-Aug-14
Brun 25-Aug-14
Backcountry 25-Aug-14
Billincamo 25-Aug-14
Ermine 26-Aug-14
25-Aug-14
Could use some insight from everyone in this problem.

About mid July my hunting partner and I scouted a new area that was fantastic. High burns on top with lots of feed and dark timbered slopes with saddles, wallows, benches. At that time there was sign and tracks everywhere.

Fast forward to today. Absolutely nothing for sign, no tracks, water in the wallows is clear. I'm confident this area is not just a summering spot. Lots and lots of rubs from years past and other sign.

Two weeks until the opener and I'm not too sure on what to think now. Several scenarios have gone through my head and most seem doubtful at best. Anyone have an idea?

25-Aug-14
You didn't say where you are, but where I hunt in N. CO the elk move around during the summer, even with no pressure. They move a lot during the rut, even on unhunted "refuge" ranches.

I scouted an area in early July that had everything elk want, except no elk. Went back in early August and several herds have moved into the area. Wherever they were before, there's a bunch of month-old sign now and likely no elk.

We've also learned that cows and bulls gravitate toward specific areas for the rut, where they may not be in the summer. Not sure why this is, but it happens every year.

If you found rubs and wallows, elk will be back there when the rut happens. Don't give up on it. If you tell me where it is I'll go check it out and let you know what I think.

:-)

25-Aug-14
What state?

25-Aug-14
Western MT

25-Aug-14
Could wolves possibly have pushed them out? happens here in Idaho.

25-Aug-14
Only seen one pile of questionable scat. I would be surprised if it were wolves.

25-Aug-14
Things will change a lot over the next two weeks. I bet those wallows aren't clear in 14 days.

25-Aug-14
I would guess if the area is as nice as you say the Elk will soon filter back in,I would bet a pack of wolves,cat or just Elk being Elk have just temporarily moved out.Elk in my area even though they have everything they need to be happy will move to another area but they always return.

25-Aug-14
Elk are very mobile. I wouldn't give up on an area that fast, but don't be married to one spot either. If you go there again and nothing is around, then you should move too.

25-Aug-14
Elk are very mobile. I wouldn't give up on an area that fast, but don't be married to one spot either. If you go there again and nothing is around, then you should move too.

25-Aug-14
Thanks for the responses guys. I feel a lot better about the situation now

25-Aug-14
Best time to scout is the week before the season. The only thing I get from scouting earlier is the caliber of bulls in the area, access, and water. I don't expect to find the elk I see in July and early August in the same places come opening day.

26-Aug-14
Elk cover large amount of area. They make big rounds.

Rubs don't always mean elk are there during rut. Bulls will rub trees prior to the rut. Often in areas where they aren't during the season.

Thrashed trees/saplings are more an indication of elk in a rut area.

• Sitka Gear