wildwilderness 27-Aug-14
Whackmaster B 27-Aug-14
12yards 27-Aug-14
scrapwood 27-Aug-14
Paul@thefort 27-Aug-14
fawn 28-Aug-14
Aspen Ghost 28-Aug-14
27-Aug-14
Thread to discuss how close to a road you got your elk. Pics validate stories.

27-Aug-14
Whacko,

If you don't want to go into the wilderness and you want to hunt close to a road then go for it. There's no need to start multiple threads designed to justify your decision. Just hunt where you want buddy.....and then (if you need/want further validation) share lots of pics. Good luck!

27-Aug-14
Umm... Last year my bull was shot at 600 yards from a major road way and dies around 448 yards?

I have had 1 bull shot and die with in 80 yards of a road. My first bull died 1/2 way on a road shot about 60 yard from road.

It can happen.... I also hunt a unit with a ton of roads!

27-Aug-14
coelker,

Since you provided no pics, your stories are not validated...sorry. LOL

27-Aug-14

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
Is 15' close enough?

27-Aug-14
Finally 'Validation'!! haha

That was a sweet bull W-Bob!

Good luck, Robb

PS.-TBM & Wacko, 'Brothaa's from a different Mothaa'ha

27-Aug-14
I actually think this is a pretty good idea for a thread. Anyone can go way back and kill an elk, but finding them near a road can be much tough to say the least.

27-Aug-14
You better earn a couple before you think you'll get lucky enough to drop one on the road. I took 3 of them out on my back but the 4th one luckily dropped over dead right in the middle of a forest service road. I finally got lucky! Ha!

27-Aug-14
Ha, Bob...too funny...you casually forgot to mention all of the chasing over hill and dale beforehand....grin

Two of the best spots I've ever seen in Colo are right off of a road; one is 1/4 mile off of a dirt road- plenty of guys driving by to get to the end of the road

No pics to give it away though

27-Aug-14

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo

elkmtngear's Link
There are no roads in the Wilderness where we hunt, HOWEVER...this bull was shot about 1/4 mile in from where we parked the rig.

Nice easy pack out!

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

27-Aug-14

Quinn007's embedded Photo
Quinn007's embedded Photo
3/8 mile.

27-Aug-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
1/2 mile

27-Aug-14
Depends entirely one how you define "road" and where it is.

27-Aug-14
The area I hunt has roads everywhere, so it's hard to get away from them. The further you get from one, the closer you get to another. You just have to know where to look. Of the 40 or so elk my buddy and I have killed, the furthest we've had to pack one is 3/4 mi. I'd say the avg has been roughly 1/4 mi, with the closest being about 15yds from an old logging road where we were able to get him in the truck in one piece.

It was 300yds from where I killed this one, to where the atv's sat on a road.

27-Aug-14

glass eye's embedded Photo
20 yards.....about where the bright sunlight is hitting.

27-Aug-14

Another view.......dirt road is visible in upper right.

27-Aug-14
Last fall I heard bulls bugling when I got out of my truck at my campsite.

I changed clothes, and shot this guys 15min later

photo BK_Archeryelk3_zpsba01c2f7.jpg

27-Aug-14
Glass eye, What state? beautiful Elk, that looks like a big old bull that was starting to go down

27-Aug-14

idacurt.....CA tule elk. Fish & Game took a tooth and later informed me that it was 6 years old. He had double drop tines but 4 days before opener he broke off the left side. But I fixed that :)

27-Aug-14
Wow,nice elk and not that old

27-Aug-14
careful, he might be getting GPS data off those phone pictures....(smile)

27-Aug-14

Ylpmin's embedded Photo
Ylpmin's embedded Photo
Cnelk that is pretty cool....flash hunt.

I shot this elk last year on the 13th day about 500 yards from my camp.

27-Aug-14

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I have noticed that it might be possible to kill an elk nearer to the "road" early in the season, and before an increase in road traffic/hunting pressure pushes them farther back.

Those near road elk pockets are worth checking out.

This one was during the first week of the Colorado season, 200 yards off a closed Forest Service road and then 1/4 mile to the truck. He was courting a cow and then walked by at 30 yards.

My best, Paul

27-Aug-14

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Shot this one right in the road... with my camera ;^)

27-Aug-14
1.25 MIle, .38 Mile, .75 Mile, 426 yds, 200 yds. No pics cause there were trees.

27-Aug-14
Of the 10 elk I have been able to kill, I was able to drive a Full Size truck to 4, an ATV to 3, and the Last 3 were killed 1 mile, 3 miles, and 0.5 mile from a road.

27-Aug-14
Thanks guys! I wasn't trying to be a smart @?? but I have read so many articles and such where everyone swears you have to be 10 miles in just to find elk. I just wanted to give some attention to the other story of being successful. Thanks again guys for your contributions and good luck this season.

27-Aug-14
Cheesehead Mike, that is a very skinny elk. In fact it don't look good at all. Nice rack though. LOL.

27-Aug-14
I like that picture Paul, with the arrow sticking out. Was there no blood? Or was the photo cleaned up to remove the blood?

27-Aug-14
Scrapwood, No blood was cleaned up. The BH hit the opposite leg bone so no exit wound either and in the forward part of the diaphragm and through the left shoulder scapula. Fair amount of internal bleeding.

The BH was a 125 gr 3 bld Thunderhead and the shot, 30 yards.

The bull ran over a small rise 60 yards away and then crashed.

That was a good year as I killed my Colorado big horn sheep 10 days later.

My best, Paul

28-Aug-14
Closest to the road was also my biggest, a 300", 6 X 6. Sorry, Can't find any digital pics to post. He had just walked down the middle of the road toward me. I shot him as he stepped into the bar ditch, broadside. Nice double lung quartering to me with a 75 yard run. Next largest bull, a 240" 6 X 6, was about 400 yards from a road and a ML camp full of hunters. He came in below me, with the arrow entering in front of the right shoulder and stopped behind left shoulder, no exit! He ran DOWNHILL toward the road and piled up just a couple hundred yards from the road. Getting back up the hill to him to pack out the meat was a bugger, but the walk out was great.

28-Aug-14
After reading all these posts it's obvious I've been hunting way too far from the road. From now on I'm staying within sight of the road. LOL

• Sitka Gear