Elkaddict 28-Aug-14
wildwilderness 28-Aug-14
bugslinger 28-Aug-14
wildwilderness 28-Aug-14
bugslinger 28-Aug-14
JLS 28-Aug-14
Leadspreader 29-Aug-14
27-Aug-14
I'm looking at buying a pair of sitka pants and a jacket for a September hunt in Colorado. Being that it is a large investment and I want to get it right the first time (can't afford multiple items) what is your jacket and pants combo you would recommend?

27-Aug-14
90% Jacket (I'm not a hood guy, so prefer it to the Jetstream).

Ascent or Mountain Pants. Mountain a little warmer and robust/durable. Can't go wrong with either pair IMO.

27-Aug-14
The new 90% are awesome. Merino undies, a Traverse shirt, and a Kelvin vest (or what you have similar for those 3) and you are good from 20-80. Now mind you I have not worn this set elk hunting yet, but used it in Africa in July and understand how it compares and contrasts to all my other Sitka Gear. My son just got back from 10 days of elk hunting in Utah and he did not want to give my 90s back.

27-Aug-14
Mountain pants, Merino core Zip-T, Traverse shirt and Jetstream vest. The 90% Jacket is great, but I personally favor the vest and shirt. Best of luck!

27-Aug-14
Mountain pants, core crew long sleeve shirt, Jet stream vest. 90% jacket for early season. Jetstream jacket for colder weather.

27-Aug-14
Don't forget a breathable rain jacket/pants!

27-Aug-14
The Jetstream jacket is awesome but might be a little heavy at times in September. I haven't seen the new 90% but the old 90% wirked great for me. The ascent or the mountain pant would be my choice. Another option is what Ron mentioned and go with the traverse top and Jetstream vest. Extra versatility that way.

27-Aug-14
90% Jacket and ascent pants. I have used this combo for the last 5 years and it has been great. Throw in some merino wool base layers and you can hit all the temps.

27-Aug-14
Ditto to Tracker's post. I've used 90% jacket and ascent pants with great luck. Throw in merino base layers and you're golden.

27-Aug-14
Mountain Pants or 90%, Merino base "either long johns or undies" Merino core zip T shirt, Kelvin light vest, Jetstream light Jacket This worked for me with temps from 30's-70's

I've got an older pair of 90% pants in L 34" waist I'd sell if you need them

27-Aug-14
I am a timberline pants guy, I like the water proof knees and butt on them for glassing and stalking. I am a jetstream coat guy as well. I love that coat. I wear a core top as well. First lite boxers and darn tuff socks. I do have sitka gaitors but I like the cabelas gaitors as well. I wear them all day everyday in the mtns.

27-Aug-14
Do not get a Merino wool sitka shirt, they break down way to easily.

I have sitka ascent pants that i got 1/2 price and Jet stream jacket 1/2 and as said above its to warm for moving in Co in Sept. They are both great. The only Sitka product that I have that sucked was the wool shirt, one year and it fell apart. A kuiu shirt of the same is breaking down after 4 years.

If i hike hard its in a merino shirt any color type and Ascent (Sitka) or Attack (Kuiu) pants. I hunt where it can snow in August. Then i switch to a Kuiu merino shirt to hunt, they are 1/2 wool now and poly. So when they break down i might go to First Light.

However, I also have found light merino wool shirts at the thrift store in green for $3-5. So they will work too, the wool regulates better than anything which keeps you comfortable and stinks less than full polypro.

However with all that, I had some snow flakes coming down on me last weekend, not a lot but its going to snow in the next 2 weeks.

GL

27-Aug-14
Thanks for all the great input guys! Is the jet steam or jet stream light jacket noisy? It looks like it might make that swishing noise.

28-Aug-14
90% Jacket & Pants are what I used in CO last year elk hunting. I thought they worked well. I carried Cabelas Space Rain Gear as its the lightest, most compact raingear on the amrket. WOrks well, but avoid heavy brush as it can tear.

Also usd a combination of Sitka & other shirts for varying temperatures.

It all worked well and my hunting methods involve a lot of sitting, moving very slowly as well as hiking & calling. Point being, I stayed warm and survived! :)

>>>>-------->

28-Aug-14
I have a Sitka sticker and a KUIU sticker...both have served me well.

Chicks dig'm!

28-Aug-14
I have the original jetstream, and it's not noisy at all. In my opinion you don't need a "jacket" for the warmer weather. I just wear my base layer and another layer or a cheaper vest. For cooler weather the jetstream is a quality piece, especially when hiking with the pit zips open.

I'm not sure about the jetstream lite, but figure it has to be about in the mold of the 90%.

I'm not 100% sold on the fact that they are worth the price you have to pay, but it is quality gear, and if you can get it on sale then you are definitely doing something. Unfortunately you probably won't get it on sale right now.

As others have mentioned, you will likely want some sort of quality rain gear.

28-Aug-14
Merino wool bottoms and Mountain pants. Merino Wool top, Traverse top, 90% Jacket, Jetstream Vest. It is the perfect set-up. I can shed a couple layers a bit after I get moving, and I can put them back on for a little glassing or some calling set-ups. It is the perfect combination.

28-Aug-14
If you get the pants in a solid color you can wear them all the time, greatly increases the value of the clothes.

I pretty much stopped buying camo the last couple years and wear my gear 10 times more.

I have both the ascent and mountain pants, and prefer the mountain since I don't like to wear long bottoms under unless its below freezing. I also have a kelvin vest instead of the jacket and wear it all the time, I really like a vest for Bowhunting. though I have thought about a jetsream lite since its the wind that will chill you.

28-Aug-14
Mountain pants, traverse hoody, Jetstream vest. You are going to warm up quickly walking around the mountains, I think I get to wear my vest for about an hour each day. I also agree wildwilderness about buying solid color pants. My mountain pants are my favorites I'd wear them all time if they weren't in open country. I should say they were my favorite pants until I got my firstlite Kanabs.

28-Aug-14
Not to throw the thread off, but I just got a pair of Kuiu Attack pants (in Solid of course) and have worn them to work a few times. They seam to be right in between the ascent and mountain pants for weight and very comfortable.

Maybe worth a look (cheaper for you), and they come in a couple solid colors.

28-Aug-14
Mountain pants, traverse hoody, Jetstream vest. You are going to warm up quickly walking around the mountains, I think I get to wear my vest for about an hour each day. I also agree wildwilderness about buying solid color pants. My mountain pants are my favorites I'd wear them all time if they weren't in open country. I should say they were my favorite pants until I got my firstlite Kanabs.

28-Aug-14
If you routinely hunt very hot conditions, the Ascents are very nice pants. For most elk hunting conditions I wear my Mountain Pants.

I agree on the Traverse shirt. I also very much like the Jetstream vest. I also love the Jetstream jacket, but there aren't many conditions I would wear it while hiking. It's for glassing, etc when I'm not moving. I rarely hunt with the vest on. If I'm hiking hard I wear a long sleeve 1/4 zip, if I'm slowing down and it's cool I'll throw on the Traverse.

29-Aug-14
I just recently bought the Mountain pants and all I have to say is that they are awesome, I used them to chase antelope all over the prarie (roughly 10 miles total) a few days ago, never was too hot given the conditions, and they held up well to every single stock we put on those speed goats, I also used the 90% jacket but no matter what your wearing in that scenario your gonna sweat. Still love the jacket but I think its more of a late September early october jacket

• Sitka Gear