Heat 15-Sep-14
Gaur 15-Sep-14
coelker 15-Sep-14
coelker 16-Sep-14
elmer@laptop 16-Sep-14
loopmtz 16-Sep-14
Rocky D 16-Sep-14
29-Aug-14
So I am sitting at work just mere hours from heading into the mountains. Over the last several years I have enjoyed great success on OTC tags. Most of my success has been directly tied to the help and calling skills of my wonderful wife.

Over 11 years ago my wife and I spent our first night together laying on an air mattress in the back of a small toyota pickup. That night we laid watching stars in the eastern Colorado sky. The next morning we awoke early and tried a coyote stand. On that first stand I hooked my wife on hunting forever! 10 minutes into that stand found my future wife face to face with a large male coyote eyeing her at around 10 yards. That fall I taught her the finer side of elk calling. Her first night with calls in hand found her calling in a large bull to 80 yards... The next day found us elbow deep into a 5x5 bull she brought into just 7 yards.

Since that time she has spent many days in the field with me. Always content to call, never willing to take that step of actually hunting for herself with a bow.

Everything has changed this year. Our daughter age 8 is now shooting her own bow, and inspired in part by the hunger games, is eager to hunt small game this with her bow. This interest expressed by my daughter has pushed my wife into being a hunter (a bow hunter)...

I am so excited, but what was I thinking? I had the perfect set up! A good looking hunting partner that was content to call and pack meat!

As our journey unfolds, I will give periodic updates. For now enjoy a few pics of our past hunts!

29-Aug-14
Can't wait!! Good luck!

29-Aug-14
I'm looking forward to it Coelker! Good luck.

29-Aug-14
Awesome! There is no better time spent in the woods than time spent with your wife and/or kids. I'm blessed to have a family of hunters, it makes me smile knowing that you have the same blessing! Best of luck to you and your wife!

29-Aug-14
Your a lucky guy!Does she have a sister?

29-Aug-14

coelker's Link
As promised here are some past memories and experiences...

This was a bull we called midday to our truck. He came to about 10 yards before leaving...

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Well that did not work... Let me try again... Mid day bull we called to the truck. I had just tagged out earlier!

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Earlier I had taken this awesome bull. He has 4 different antlers on his head. He was called in to under 20 yards and died literally right where he was shot. This was the second bull we took together... Sorry this was back before I started packing any sort of camera in the field...

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
A bull we called in on an archery buck tag in WY! He was a baby for the unit but had managed to gore another animal as his right side dagger was bloody... Needless to say it was messing with the bulls even though we were looking for bucks.

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
One of our earlier bulls. She called this bull into 8 yards. Our daughter was in hunting camp playing with grandma...

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Same bull as he laid...

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
One of her favorite pictures of an earlier hunt...

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Her success has been limited to Rifle. She has done well. This was one of her favorite hunts. Toddler in tow, she manged to sneak in on this buck at around 40 yards...

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Earlier on the same hunt she got buck fever really bad and was shaking too much to take the shot. She passed letting me take the shot...

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
A little more recent shot of her packing out a front elk quarter. My daughter in tow. This was the first time my daughter was on a successful hunt in the field!!!

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Luckily she is ok with hunting hard. This was sun rise after about a 2 mile straight up hike...

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Luckily she is ok with hunting hard. This was sun rise after about a 2 mile straight up hike...

The family setting up hunting camp...

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Family photo after setting up elk camp...

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
2 years ago, my daughter decided it was time to spend hunting in the woods with just dad... She had a good time...

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
My daughters first major find... She found this antler near camp while walking.... Daddy was taking a mid afternoon snooze and nearly had a heart attack when she started screaming in excitement...

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Success from 2 years ago. It was a hard hunt but she filled her tag. Only her second elk ever. Her first happened to be a 320 bull...

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Some late summer scouting... I am blessed with a truly amazing family!

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
And then there was last year. Our biggest typical bull yet... It was a great hunt. I can only hope that I can return the favor with great calling for her this year...

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
She even enjoys the work side of the hunt as well... At least a little bit!!!

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
A little more proof that women can love to hunt... This was the last trip out for us on our bull... Notice the look on her face... It says it all!!!

29-Aug-14
As I look through my photos and think back about it all. I can only hope that she has the opportunities and success that I have enjoyed. She has been a huge factor in my success as a hunter and I only hope hat I can now repay the favor... We leave for camp in less than 4 hours. She like me is filled with excitement and perpetual butterflies. Wish us I luck I will be sure to update our adventures... Its time to get moving!

29-Aug-14
Awesome. I'm envious.

29-Aug-14
Good luck, make lots of memories! I predict you will have a wonderful trip with a family like that.

And don't forget to update us when you can.

29-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
So I have arrived home from work... Was pleasant Y surprised that the majority of the gear was packed. She is currently in the shower using the scent shampoo... Sorry guys no photo pop there, I was not even allowed to join her! Maybe she is taking this more serious than I thought!

29-Aug-14
coelker... well played. You are a lucky man.

29-Aug-14
You are a lucky man and have been truly blessed with a great family!

29-Aug-14
Rob you certainly 'own us' on this type thread man!

What a great family you indeed have brothaaa.

Good luck, Robb

29-Aug-14
Livin' the good life. Congrats to all of you.

Oh, your daughter is going to look like your wife, and hunt like your wife, which wont' be a good combination when it comes to attracting boys!

You'll live...some of them may not. :-)

30-Aug-14
Seriously envious of you and the other fellows who have a hard core hunting spouse. Truly a gift. Keep at it!

30-Aug-14
Good deal, best of luck to both of you!

30-Aug-14
Awesome to have an awesome wife isn't it! We finally found a call my wife can work every time the first time so I have high hopes for this season myself! Good luck to y'all this year, hope she kills a giant!

30-Aug-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
So we came up last night. It rained a little on us. When we got to camp we had a few visitors. Once we got the herd out of the way we came into our little spot and found another camper parked 15 yards away from ours. It is a guy and his son. They are up from Denver area for the week. Son in his early 20s. I tried my best to help them with out giving up too much info. Here is our horse herd.

30-Aug-14
This morning we got up early and headed to a honey hole. The morning was cool and clear. Of course managed to leave camp before our neighbors got up.

At first light we sat in a canyon that always has opening day elk. We managed to spot only a lone cow. We decided to move north a canyon and look it over. As we entered the canyon it became apparent why my honey hole was not so good. A pair of ATVs had acceded the canyon to the north on an old cow trail. To get into the spot where they were they drove the better part of both canyons and within 50 yards of the spring where all the elk drink.

Needless to say we had to get a new plan.

30-Aug-14
The new plan took us over the top of the ridge we were parked on. The back side was steep and nasty.

Immediately we could see 2 bulls down in the hole... After a short discussion we headed down.

I need to pause for a minute And mention that I also decided to take a coworker hunting this year. He is a bowsite member and seems tone an ok guy.

So the three if us bail off the top down a steep nasty hill side. We manage to kick up a small buck on our way in. Once we got to 500 yards from the last known location we set up tying to call. It was just to steep and thick to get closer. We had a great spot, but 30 min of calling did not produce a bull. We decided to call it a hunt and climb back up.

Before heading back up I had to sneak up just a little further. As we got a 100 yards from where we had set up. I froze in place. I waved to Melissa but she did not se me right away. So I whistled and motioned that I had a bull. She tried to sneak up and got busted the bull was 20 yards in front of me broad side... I called once he stopped at 80 yards and was gone!

It was a good start. So far no real rut activity. We have seen a couple cows with out bulls and the bulls we have found were together.

Hope we have some luck this evening!

30-Aug-14
Coelker, envious as well. Its great that you and your family hunt together as most men could only dream of that! I on the other hand blow on the Bugle practicing in my computer room and my wife's in the kitchen thinking I'm F...ing nuts. However I do have a wife that is a fabulous cook and when I do bag that Big Bull in 2 weeks can't wait till she cooks that dude up. I have 1 Elk steak left in the freezer, time for a fillup. Good Luck this year!

30-Aug-14
Congratulations.

31-Aug-14
Sounds like a good start. Am counting down the days til I leave on my hunt.

31-Aug-14
Thanks for taking us along. I'm looking forward to this! My wife loves to hunt too and now that our kids are getting a little older, she will probably start getting more serious about it. It's great to be able to share what you love with your family.

31-Aug-14
You're living the dream. Good Luck on this hunt!

31-Aug-14
Coelker, envious as well. Its great that you and your family hunt together as most men could only dream of that! I on the other hand blow on the Bugle practicing in my computer room and my wife's in the kitchen thinking I'm F...ing nuts. However I do have a wife that is a fabulous cook and when I do bag that Big Bull in 2 weeks can't wait till she cooks that dude up. I have 1 Elk steak left in the freezer, time for a fillup. Good Luck this year!

31-Aug-14
So last night we had a great chance at an elk! Unfortunately it did not happen! We were set up glassing at the head of a large canyon! After a 1/2 hour or so I got bored and let out a whimsy bugle. Instantly I look up and see a cow elk hauling freight our way.

It was leaping over sage and bouncing towards us. I quickly scramble to get set up. The cow ces in perfect. And fast. My wife came to full draw and the elk passed in front her at 20 yards. The second guy was nearly full draw when the cow spoted him. My wife nearly got the shot off.

She was pumped! She was so excited to have drawn on an elk on her first day. That evening we had no other action. The elk very quiet and not calling even the herd on the private river bottom were silent.

31-Aug-14
Today we were up early again. Looked over a lot of country. No real elk action. About 9 am I was looking through the spotting scope and found a lone cow. She was soon joined by a couple more. Then a bull I ned last year. Needless to say we are now getting ready to head in after a bull named daddy big tops.

Wish is luck. Sorry pics not transferring well to phone!

31-Aug-14
Today we were up early again. Looked over a lot of country. No real elk action. About 9 am I was looking through the spotting scope and found a lone cow. She was soon joined by a couple more. Then a bull I ned last year. Needless to say we are now getting ready to head in after a bull named daddy big tops.

Wish is luck. Sorry pics not transferring well to phone!

03-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
So time to update some pics...

Opening morning we had a luck dropping into a steep nasty timber patch. Of course I ended up with a shot on a little dink, but passed as my two hunters need to kill an elk first.

That evening we sat up on this canyon. It is a good location and every year I walk into the location saying we will kill something in here.... Every year we get real close... We started by simply sitting, glassing and listening.

03-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
The canyon view we had. Great location where you can see several ridges. As I grew restless from just sitting I had to try a call...

03-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Right after I called we both herd a possible cow call from our right. I snapped a quick pic and hit the call again. Before we knew it we had a single cow coming in hot. I left Melissa and Daryl sitting and scramled to get out of sight to finish calling this cow into range. The cow ended up at under 25 yards with my wife at full draw and settling in her pins... Daryl however had his arrow fall off his rest. as he let down to reset the cow spooked and headed off. Not a bad start, first day hunting with her bow and she was at full draw and just split seconds away from letting one fly!

I am very proud that she kept her cool and did not take a rushed shot or let the arrowfly when the animal spooked...

The rest of that evening we spent glassing and calling different locations...

03-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
On Sunday morning we had a weird wind and spent most of the morning just spotting from the truck. We finally found some elk a long ways off at 9:00am. It started as just a couple cows and then he showed up. A really good bull I had named last year! He has awesome tops, made a plan to make a move for him that evening.

We went back to camp to relax and adjust everything for the evening hunt. I dropped all extra weight from my pack. Having hunted for this bull in the same location last year, I knew it would be a challenge just to get to him...

Camp was nice and relaxing, although I was on edge thinking about a bull that consumed most of my hunting thoughts for the last year!

03-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Sunday afternoon we left the truck and headed in after big tops.... It was hot in the lower country, but we did manage to find elk immediately after starting out hike. We messed around with the first elk we found for about 45 minutes. In the end those 45 minutes could have been huge...

We hiked hard for 3 hours to the last known location of big tops. We arrived right at last light to the location where we thought we could find the elk. As we entered the edge of a burn we ended up face to face with a cow. I made it clear to both of the hunters that packing a cow out of this spot was not an options (ok it would have been fine but still a lot of work for a cow). As the cow spooked out we decided to call for a few minutes. The calling worked, just not as we had hoped.

This little bull charged in and gave us some entertainment... He would have been easy to kill!

03-Sep-14
After messing with the cow, my wife tells me about a bull she heard bugle on our way in... She did not tell me earlier because she knew we were on a specific mission. All weekend was silent. This frustrated me as we had not heard a call all weekend. Needless to say on our way back out we found the bull after dark. He bugled at us the whole way out. For almost 2 hours of hiking he dogged us letting us know he was there and very lonely...

I was extremely proud of my wife. When I got on google earth and traced out hunt for Sunday evening I came up with a round trip hike of just over 9 miles.

Unfortunately she was pushed to far and could not make it out of bed on Monday!!!

We will be leaving camp on Saturday morning at 4:30 am and heading directly to the Big tops. Hope we can find the big guy this next weekend!!!

03-Sep-14
Awesome thread - your a lucky family!

03-Sep-14
Very cool! You are truely fortunate.

03-Sep-14
Thought I would clarify! My wife was never a hunter before she met me. She had never really shot a gun, camped in he wilderness, etc. She had an open mind and I saw a great opportunity! It has taken years for her to reach this level. She had a hard time pushing into new things and it has taken great patients to get her to this point! Infact her bow was purchased over 10 years ago! She shot a little here and there, but this was the first year she got serious! It was hard when our daughter and son were first born! She wanted to stay at home, keep them safe etc...

Like I said it took time to get to this point! I am still trying to convince her that a guided hunt in Africa, New Zealand, etc. Could be a vacation! She is not sold on that yet but hopefully in the next 10 years!

For now she is thinking a Texas hog hunt with the bows might be good!

05-Sep-14
Ok we are off for weekend 2. Got a really long hike in the morning. Daddy big tops is going down!

We will keep you up dated! To late to hunt dtonight!

05-Sep-14
Enjoying this! Good luck!

05-Sep-14
Man . . . this is an Awesome Thread so Far, one of my favorites with all of the family involvement. I'm a young father/husband as well . . . so I hope my future endeavors are as happy as yours seem to be.

06-Sep-14
Great thread...

06-Sep-14
Good luck family hunters. Really awesome for you and your family. enjoy the great outdoor!

12-Sep-14
Wow what a week. Things have been crazy. Last weekend we started off by heading I to the area where Daddy Big Tops was last spotted. There was a ton of sign and tracks. We hunted slowly through the area checking all bedding, feeding and travel areas. In all that time and miles covered that morning we never found an elk. As we neared the end of the hunt for the morning we found tracks of other hunters. The area can not take much pressure before elk leave.

As we neared the 5.5 mile mark the sun was high. We decided to stay on the mountain for the day. The three of us found a shady tree and took nap.

Around 3:30 we got up and started a 5 mile hike hunt back to the truck. At last light we were heading down a trail when we ran headlong into our first elk. A single cow was watching us closely. I slipped back and let out a couple calls. I could see my wife come to full draw and hold... Then the agony of wind on the back of my neck... The cow slipped away. She was 42 yards out head on never gave a good shot. We at least seen an elk in a 11 mile hike. The entire time we kept seeing the foot tracks of the other hunters...

At very last light we did find a little tiny legal bull... Like 100 inches but a full four point. We tried a move and got a laugh as he tried to pee on himself and act all big.

Sunday morning my wife could not hardly move. The day before was brutal... Hot dry long, hard. She never managed to get out of bed.

Daryl and I hunted lower and found a single bull and a couple cows near noon. Everything we would call it made the elk move further away....

Daryl headed home at lunch time Sunday. Leaving the afternoon hunt to my wife and I. We headed out and looked over some great country. At first things looked really bleak. At 4:30 in the afternoon we were driving past the same area where we killed my bull last year. This year instead of being thick trees, the area burned hard to bare ground. As we passed the area, I got the urge to empty the bladder. So I pulled over and tried watering down the black ash.

Mid stream a good bugle sounded from up on the ridge. Good enough I had to cut off mid stream.... LOL!

The hunt was back on. That afternoon we travelled around 4 miles. Again, we ended up seeing lots of tracks and no elk. We never again heard the bugle. We covered a lot of ground with no luck.

About 30 minutes before sun set we sat up and called off into some private ground. While we sat things were quiet, still and boring...

About 20 minutes into the sit we hear all hell break loose behind us. We turn just in time to see 2 cows busting out.

My wife was frustrated and let down. I pushed her one last time before dark. A 1/2 hour later we found our selves in the middle of a small group of elk. My wife eased up and in the trees she could smell the. Hear them and knew she was close. As the light faded we had to slip out and leave the elk. Good weekend, but not what we had hoped!

I will share photos soon.

12-Sep-14
This weekend I have lost all my partners and will be hunting solo. My wife is going to a wedding and Daryl is having family in town. I will be attempting to call and kill myself.

Wish me luck... Hopefully I do not see a bunch of smoke pole guys running around!

12-Sep-14
You are truly blessed! Goodluck, Mike

12-Sep-14
Good luck, Rob!

12-Sep-14
Maybe you should kill the bull and not "call and kill myself" lol Have a great hunt.

13-Sep-14
So tonight I found a rag horn bull all by himself. Just after dark. I told my wife he was to little. She laughed then made me guilty if this was the first year we ever went without an elk.

She wants me to shoot a dink... I know that if I do she will shoot a bigger one and I will spend the next year hearing about it!

What to do?

13-Sep-14
one in the hand...

13-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
We'll here is how my solo morning went... Just a teaser

13-Sep-14
Wooo hooo!!! I really appreciate these semi-live hunts! I know it takes time to write all this up, but WOW! Thanks so much for sharing, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

13-Sep-14
Thanks for Sharing. Congrats!

13-Sep-14
Congrats! Great job with the semi live write up, story telling and pics!!!

Mark

13-Sep-14
I will have pics and full story. Had the meat to the packing plant before 11 this morning... Now I am going to focus on a bear...

13-Sep-14
Sweeeeeeeet.

13-Sep-14
Congratulations. Can't wait for the story.

13-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Well I am at home now and have sometime to update pics and tell the story...

We will back up to last weekend. We made a huge push to find a really good bull. It was a 4.9 mile hike in a straight line according to Google earth. Of course we wondered back and forth and on Saturday of the second weekend we easily hiked over 10 miles. The sunrise that morning was great.

13-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
The troops were in high spirits early...

14-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
The high spirits had faded by lunch time as we all found a shady spot to wait out the mid day heat. We hiked most of the day. Only found older track a rub or 2 and a bunch of tracks from another hunter....

My wife would kill me... Lets keep this a Bowsite Secret!!!

14-Sep-14
Well that long hike on Saturday wore my wife out. She slept in on sunday. That evening we snuck into a spot off a main road. We had a cow and calf bust us. Then right at last light we got in the middle of 5 or 6 elk. Smelled them, heard them called them, but none stepped out where we could shoot.

14-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
So as mentioned this weekend was going to be just me. My wife was off to Denver for a wedding and Daryl had family in town.

On Friday I sat anxiously in the worst professional development ever. At lunch on Friday I hustled home to pack the truck and get ready for my solo weekend. I finally was freee for the weekend at 5:00 pm and managed to make into a hunting spot around 6:00. I made a 2-3 mile loop before dark on Friday evening but ended legal light with only a couple tracks 2-3 days old. As I headed up to my camp I stopped in feeding areas and listened for elk. On the 4th or 5th stop I heard a faint small bugle down in a sage bottom. With that I had a starting point for the next morning.

I called my wife and asked her what she thought. I was tempted to pass as I knew it was a smaller bull. She talked me into hunting for the bull. Afraid we might run out of meat (that has never been an issue). I think she wanted me to shoot a dink so that she can have bragging rights for shooting a bigger one.

I settled into camp on Friday night imagining what the bull behind the bugle looked like. I also envisioned where I would kill the elk.. Funny I had 2 places in mind. It just so happened that the first place I thought of happened to be where I killed...

On Saturday morning I slept in a bit. Instead of getting up at 4:30 when my alarm sounded, my feet instead hit the camper floor at 6:30 am. Knowing I was a little late I hustled and left camp without breakfast. I drove to where the I heard the bull the night before... Shut the truck off and stepped out with a bugle. I got an answer first thing, and the chase was on. As I head east down the road I got another nice Sunrise.

14-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
I hustled down the main road for about a 1/2 mile before letting out a second bugle... The only purpose of this bugle was to determine if the bull was north or south of the road. Again a quick response... I then headed south across the canyon for the trees. By this point I knew with pretty good certainty where the bull was...

As I made my way to the last location I watched the wind closely. It managed to stay cross, despite a few scares of cool breeze on the back of my neck. As I neared the side canyon where I thought I would find the bull another truck with muzzy hunters drove the main road. This was somewhat concerning but since the truck passed without slowing etc. The bull would stay put. I snapped a quick shot while sneaking through the tress. At this point the bull was about, 500 yards out dead ahead, but I did not know for sure!!!

14-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Just as I felt good about my position and the wind I prepared to bugle again. Knowing this time I would be close. I removed the cap on my ELK power bugle and took a deep breath, just as a coyote down the main howled. this distant howl was enough to make the bull bugle... He was close. I made a quick move and got set up with a good cross wind. I set up under a large pinon tree and let out a cow call. Across the canyon I could easily see the bull in the trees. He racked a tree for bit until I let out a second cow call. At that second call he faced me square and took a step towards me disappearing in the tree. I sat up just 40 yards from the bottom of the draw. Hoping the bull would come on a straight line... Instead I watched as the bull crossed in front of me out in the open bottom. He crossed at 80 yards heading down wind. As soon as he got just out of sight I made my move. I hustled fast down wind keeping a tree between us. I cow called twice hoping the noise I made sounded like an elk trotting instead of a fast guy with all his gear flopping around... It worked perfect. I peaked my head out around a tree and could see the bull heading uphill and broadside at around 20 yards. I tucked my head back and drew my bow. At full draw I stepped around just as the bulls head was behind a tree. I almost remember finding and centering my pins before I let it fly (lots of practice makes finding my target extremely quick).

The launched hitting the bull with a very solid whack. I knew the shot was good, but as the bull turned I could see a good chunk of my arrow still sticking out the entrance hole. Not sure how much I Watched as the bull spun and ran back across the open burned bottom.

The bulls head was behind the little tree in the middle here facing to the left. Luckily he stopped with he full vitals showing from behind the tree. The close little trees on the left side of the picture was the tree I stepped out from behind...

14-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
At first you always second guess the shot. As I hit the cow call I begand to dig for the camera as I knew the bull was going down. Unfortunately, I was too fast and the camera did not wake up in time. I did manage to catch this blurry image... It was just as he was piling up about a 150 yards away...

Sorry is it blurry, but the bull is in the middle getting ready for his dirt nap.

14-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
As soon as I seen him drop I got on the phone and called up Daryl. He had his dad and mom in town. While he could not get out hunting he could come up and help pack out. So At 7:23 I made the call. He managed to get his younger son up and his dad up and out the door to help with the retrieval.

I then took a second to document the scene... Here we have the spot where the arrow made contact. Not much but he definitely dug in...

14-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
About 10 yards down the hill I found 1/2 my arrow maybe a little more... And a single drop of blood. I followed the entire track and in all honest there was hardly any blood at all...

14-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
little blood... not much!!

14-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
I followed his tracks and approached from behind...

14-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
As I got closer I could easily see where he skidded to his final resting spot...

14-Sep-14
Huinting solo, I forgot my tripod and did not get any self pictures. The bull is an OK 5x5.

I gutted the bull as quickly as I could and managed to get a few logs to prop up the bull on a full logs to help with air flow. Luckily it was only 32 degrees out when I killed the bull. By the time I finished gutting the bull the temp had only rose a little. I managed to get the broadhead and remaining arrow out.

As I snapped a pidc of the arrow (note I was still shaking by the blurr? I realized I was only 10 yards away from an old 2 track road we used to drive deer hunting when I was a kid. However years ago the road washed out really bad in the bottom and was impassible. Overtime the the washed out road turned into a nasty cut bank. About 10 years ago the BLM came in with a dozer and damned off the cut bank hoping to keep it from cutting more. As I put all of this together I realized I could easily drive the fence line road to the dozer damn and drive up the 2 track.

How lucky am I? So instead of breaking it down for back packd and trying to figure out how to scale the cut banks, I was able to get things handled fast. I hauled but back to my truck without any of my gear.

By the time I hit the truck I called and confirmed that Daryl and his dad and son were only about 10 minutes out. So I grabbed a water and waited. We were able to drive right up to the bull and managed to find a dip that lowered the tail gate. in a matter of seconds the bull was loaded...

Eat your hearts out... No need for packs and all that hard work (although I have done that plenty)...

14-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
All loaded up... I headed straight for the packing plant. I was on the road to the packing plant quickly and had the elk in the cooler by 11:00 am. Even as I made it to the packing plant the temp had only rose to 46 degrees... Huge break as it can easily be mid 70s to 80s in this area...

14-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
After all was said and done. I hit up camp took a quick shower and packed up things to hunt my way back to the house. I was out looking for a bear. At last light I managed to see a good bear at a water hole a 100 yards off a main road. I made a move and closed the distance to 43 yards before he spooked out.

I was close but did not get the right the shot...

At any rate thought I would share my new favorite way to shower. Heat the water on the stove and the little 12 volt pump works great...

14-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Since I failed at a selfie... You have to deal with the camp table antlers...

14-Sep-14
Sweet. Good job on the "ok 5X5"... LOL Thanks for sharing..

14-Sep-14
So I just checked on all my stats. This was the 10th bull I have taken in 11 years. All OTC public land. It is someplace in the middle of the pack when it comes to size, I have had a few smaller and few larger ones. Of the 10 I have killed my had been calling for all but 2. The other one was taken with my best friend from high school.

So far 3 have died close enough to a road to be taken out whole. Others have ranged from 500 yards to 1.8 miles from a road.

60% of them have been shot on the opening day of muzzle loader. 30% were taken the 2nd weekend of the season or earlier and only one has been taken on the 2nd weekend of muzzy and none taken the last weekend.

In the last eleven years I have had one clean miss and a single animal hit and not recovered. The single animal hit was wounded due to a small branch I did not see and the arrow cut the bottom of his brisket. The clean miss was a solo hunting shot where I was trying to call move etc. And totally misjudged the yardage shoot straight downhill missing high.

Some other fun facts. According to my log, up to this mornings hunt we had waled just over 32 miles going into today's hunt. I added only about 2 miles today.

I managed to get up late today and not actually leave camp in the truck until almost 6:30 and had the bull down before 7:20... Do not tell my wife that you can sleep in and still kill! She is not fond of the usual 4:30am get up....

14-Sep-14
Congrats on a nice bull! Thanks for taking us along.

14-Sep-14
Very, very cool. Thank you for the story and pics. Love the shower idea!

Have a saying that is not original with me, but holds true quite often "I kill animals on my time" Doesn't always work that way, but enough to believe it!

Congrats again!

15-Sep-14
Congratulations on a fine bull. You are truly a blessed man. Be thankful. Thanks for sharing.

15-Sep-14
Congratulations on a great bull but more importantly congratulations on a great family and life!

15-Sep-14
Congrats! Love when a plan comes together.

15-Sep-14
Congrats.

Keep posting of the hunts and when your wife gets one.

15-Sep-14
Congrats. Way to keep the success going. Very nice bull:-)

15-Sep-14
Great stuff! You still going for bear?

Mark

15-Sep-14
Nice!

15-Sep-14
nice ending.

15-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Nice ending... I am just getting started lol..

Not with a now but the kids got in on the action

16-Sep-14

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
So Sunday night we took a ride into some country I do not normally hunt... It is busy with too many people for my liking but I had talked to several people who had seen multiple bears. Melisssa packed her bow and we spent time trying to locate either a bear or a bull. We saw lots of deer, but nothing else. There were lots of hunters around as well. We found a little canyon with some bear sign and a little pond. We also found the remains of a couple freshly kill mule deer that had been quatered out...

I had to work today and kids had school. As soon as I was done for the night at work I hustled home and picked up the kids. Melissa is a night nurse and works a crazy 1 pm to 1 am shift.

We loaded up in the truck and were at KFC getting a dinner to go by 5:30. The kids ate as we drove up to the canyon where we had seen the bear sign.

At around 7:15 we made it to the canyon. We eased down the road with the truck. Just as a little ways down the road I spot this bear laying down under a tree up the hill. I look quickly to make sure it is solo and not with cubs etc. My daughter is getting upset telling my to get after it...

I eased out of the truck while my kids sat and looked on. I made a small stalk in order to get off the road and get an angle on the kill zone as the bear was bedded behind an aspen tree. Once I was clear I raised the gun (Yes it is a rifle kill, but there is no way I could pull off a bow kill with my kids at this point).

With a squeeze of the trigger the bear bolted from its bed running straight down hill. It rolled into a ball about 50 yards from the truck. I screamed jumped up and down as my kids were exiting the truck like they were heading down stairs on Christmas morning.

Once we confirmed the bear was dead we checked out all it parts, posed for a few pics and headed to the packers. My daughter is so excited to tell all her friends and teacher at school.

16-Sep-14
Awesome!

16-Sep-14
Sweet!

16-Sep-14
Great!!!

• Sitka Gear