sureshot 02-Sep-14
Rocking R 02-Sep-14
T-Rex 02-Sep-14
Crockrj 02-Sep-14
02-Sep-14

Rocking R's embedded Photo
Rocking R's embedded Photo

Rocking R's Link
Thought it would be fun to start a meatpole thread for 2014 since the trail camera thread is over for the year.

Hunted opening weekend for 2 1/2 days. Four archers. All hunters were hunting bulls only. Three out of four hunters had shots. Took one bull. Both misses were close shots. One arrow blew up on a branch and the other misjudged the distance.

Bulls were bugling consistently in the mornings and inconsistently in the evenings. Wind was terrible in the evenings but predictable in the mornings.

No more hunters until the weekend of the 13th.

Good luck to everyone hunting elk this fall.

02-Sep-14
25% success and 75% opportunity on a 2 1/2 day hunt is pretty darn good. Colorado success on bulls is around 10%.

02-Sep-14
Awesome Dan! See you in a few weeks, I'm pumped!

02-Sep-14
I was thinking the same thing as Glunt!

And kudos to the outfitter for telling it like it is. I respect that alot more than only posting pics of big bulls and just the successes!

02-Sep-14
Many people would be happy with an elk of that size, and 3 out of 4 hunters releasing arrows on a 2 1/2 day hunt is pretty good odds.

02-Sep-14

Rocking R's Link
All four of the hunters were guides, including myself. Herd bulls and 6 points are not on the menu for us. We respect our clients way too much to go out there and hunt the herd bulls before our paid hunters arrive. Thats why we limit it to opening weekend with almost two weeks before our hunters arrive.

Very happy with the management bull that was taken. His 5th point on the right was really gnarly. Nice to get him out of the gene pool. Thanks for all of the positive comments.

02-Sep-14
Congrats to the lucky hunter!

02-Sep-14
Congrats! Look forward to seeing more pics during the season.

• Sitka Gear