Ace of Spades 03-Sep-14
Leadspreader 03-Sep-14
Leadspreader 03-Sep-14
Hoot 03-Sep-14
R. Hale 03-Sep-14
nemobowhunter 05-Sep-14
TurkeyBowMaster 05-Sep-14
03-Sep-14
Every book has a list of what to pack but seldom ever is mention of a Packing Strategy....this could mean life or death...defiantly would lead to sdiscomfort. Those items that get wet don't need to go back whith what needs to stay dry. Life and death equipment needs to be handy. Fire starter should be easy to get too. This is as complex as playing chess with a computer..

03-Sep-14
I buy the 3 and 4 gallon size ziplock bags and everything gets one. Sleeping bag has its own, sleeping pad has its own, food has its own, clean clothes and dirty clothes have their own, etc.

Keeps everything dry. Opening goes down just in case.

My dry socks for sleeping in have their own small plastic bag that goes inside another plastic bag for insurance. Nothing beats sleeping in dry socks when everything is wet and cold.

03-Sep-14

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
Go to walmart, buy 2 of the 3pc outdoor research roll top bags and put your stuff in there. They're like $9. Safety and first aid I put in quart zip style vacuum bags.

03-Sep-14
Make sure your hydration bladder doesn't leak into your pack... Haven't had it happen to me but it happens... Could ruin your day! Also, keep the last bullet in your sidearm for yourself! Could be the difference in tons of discomfort or no more at all.. TBM, that was a joke..

03-Sep-14
What I always do is 1. Put matches in 2 Ziploc baggies along with a lighter,(lighter and matches, baggie, then a baggie around that)it keeps them dry

2.keep a film canister/pill bottle with Vaseline soaked cotton balls in it, they are great for tinder as they are easy to light and stay lit for a long time, you can get a few years out of a bag of cotton balls and a thing of Vaseline for less than 10 bucks, double bag those too.

3. Take something with you that could kill a bear, it's unlikely you'll need it, but you'll wish you had it if you didn't bring it. For me I take a Taurus .357

4.Keep a small first aid kit dry and handy as well

5.Always take at least 2 extra pairs of socks, and make sure these stay dry especially, nothing ruins a hunt faster than a foot problem.

6.The weather can change fast and drastically in Montana, Have a rain jacket handy, don't need to go spend 400 dollars on one, I bought one at Sportsman's Warehouse for 60 bucks and it came with rain pants

6.Pack heavier items closer to your back, helps keep your center of gravity and also aids in keeping everything together.

7. Take the roll out of a roll of TP, flatten the paper and double or even triple bag it, this is important.

8. Cliff bars are awesome sources of energy, I keep about 8 in my pack at all times. That's enough to last ya a few days, jerky, peanut butter sandwiches, all great back country food.

Just a few tips from someone who has been a Montana elk hunter since before he was old enough to hunt.

03-Sep-14
Oh and water purification of some method is a must

03-Sep-14
A well organized pack bag is just a series of smaller organized bags. I have various sizes and colors of silnylon bags and dry bags, keeps you simple and your load together...

03-Sep-14
TBM,

Anyone loan you a pair of boots yet?

05-Sep-14
Definitely need to adhere to what Leadspreader has listed, good info/advice.

I would also recommend a small bow repair kit.

3 allen wrenches(sight, rest, draw stops, etc) 1 extra set of broadhead blades (taped together) 2 Extra nocks D-Loop Material Extra rangefinder battery 4 zip ties Small thing of superglue Small thing of dental floss

I've crammed all of this in an Altoid container that I've washed and lined with bubble wrap...it never leaves my pack. Plus I had most of this stuff already purchased so I just put it together.

Oh yeah, don't forget some electrical tape (1/2 used roll to save on weight).

05-Sep-14
I'll be leaving Sunday nite or Monday morning depending on how I feel after work Sunday nite. I gotta get packing. I pretty much have everything out and ready to roll up. Never done anything like this so little worried about forgetting something.

• Sitka Gear