MathewsMan 05-Sep-14
R. Hale 05-Sep-14
Phez1970 05-Sep-14
MathewsMan 05-Sep-14
JTreeman 05-Sep-14
overbo 06-Sep-14
sbschindler 06-Sep-14
04-Sep-14
I was just told that I will no longer be given permission to camp on and cross through my friends place in So Co. The the new ranch manager announced he can sell hunts for 5-10k to folks from Oklahoma. Super bummed.

04-Sep-14
Sounds like your friend needs to have a little chat with the new manager. He is his boss, right?

04-Sep-14
Been there. It sucks. Hope your situation improves.

04-Sep-14
Pretty easy to designate a camp spot and access area.

04-Sep-14
Damn Okies!

04-Sep-14
when money gets involved, everything goes to hell ... church, Govt,, schools -- hunting .... everything

05-Sep-14
Your friend is the owner??? Sounds like someone, maybe the "new manager" leased the hunting rights. If so.... you're kinda screwed.

If not....bribery sometimes works, liquor, girls, whatever .... =D

05-Sep-14
Maybe look at a map? You can still find some good hunting close buy without the trespass thing? Bob.

05-Sep-14
Call your "friend", the OWNER.

Sounds like there's more to this story.

05-Sep-14
The rest of the story is the price of production in farming & ranching as well as taxes keep rising yet the commodities are controlled for lower food prices. The difference has to be made up and sadly leased hunting is the ticket.

05-Sep-14
Imagine if a friend of yours kept finding a few attractive rocks on his place every year. He had no real use for them so he'd give you one every year because you liked to collect neat rocks. At some point someone said to your friend "hey, those rocks are worth a lot of money to me, I'll buy them from you for $5000 each. Would you expect your friend to keep giving you a free rock every year, and would you accept it knowing that you were taking $5000 out of his pocket?

Situations like this are hard but all you can do is look back and be thankful for all those $5000 hunts that you got for free.

05-Sep-14
Yup, it's all part of the big tent theory, leasing is good for all. Least wise that's what I keep hearing.

05-Sep-14
Good analogy Aspen!

05-Sep-14
Doesn't sound like he was hunting on the property, just camping on it and crossing it.

05-Sep-14
Sounds like your friend is several decades behind the times. Hunting has been the bread winner for most farmers and ranchers, it's more a way of business for many.

There is a spot just a few miles from my house, some 200" class Mule Deer right off the main highway. Landowner wants $20k for the lease and only 3 bucks can be taken off the property. Hence nobody wins- that's why the bucks are that big and there.

05-Sep-14
"Hence, nobody wins-" Not following you on that. I would think the landowner and the leaser both win. The deer win.

05-Sep-14
It's a family owned ranch. They are wealthy already. The father who purchased it passed away a few years ago. They have people run cattle and horses. I understand wanting to have a source of income to pay the taxes. I'm a trades person so 5k to access is not really possible. I have no hard feelings toward anyone. I'll just miss the elk,deer,bears, sheep, turks and lakes loaded with trout for midday chilling. It's all good.

05-Sep-14
Nobody wins because with a lease fee of $6666 per deer no outfitter or guide is actually going to take it. So it does not get leased or hunted. It is great if the bucks migrate out but that does not help as they come into town where they are also not hunted.

05-Sep-14
MM- I honestly find it odd that if there are actually killable 200" mulies on the property, that nobody will lease it for $20k. As you stated $6666 each for 3 guys. Sure that is a big chunck of change, but I certainly don't think it is out of line for true free range trophy mulies. Hell, I know guys that spend more than $20k to kill ONE 200" whitetail buck! It is all relative. Sounds like the owner isn't marketing it very well.

And as stated previously, the deer are winning, they live long, grow big, and pass their genes on to several generations over their lives.

Just my thoughts. --Jim

06-Sep-14
After 18 years of hunting a ranch in NM. The outfitter got all tide up w/ Primos and now I get to watch Brad, Jimmy, and the boys hunt the elk on that ranch. Some good things come to an end!

06-Sep-14
all the while these ranches who lease their land rely on low grazing fee's from BLM and forest service lands and farm and ranch subsidies that all taxpayers help them with. maybe its alright maybe it isn't

• Sitka Gear