sfiremedic 05-Sep-14
fairchase 06-Sep-14
Sage of the Sage2 07-Sep-14
twojump 12-Sep-14
Ermine 14-Sep-14
gogittem 21-Sep-14
fnshtr 21-Sep-14
05-Sep-14
Hey guys - being a few days away from leaving for my archery elk hunt, and having been skunked the last 2 years, just wanted to start a thread to get some feedback from the bowsite.com experts!

When you guys are elk hunting the rut (mid september) what is your go to strategy? I would love to see all the different ways guys get it done.

This is what I generally did 2 years ago when I had a good archery elk tag in the rut (keep in mind where i am hunting is really think and spot and stalk isnt really an option):

1 - Either listen for a bugle or throw out a locator bugle. 2 - Once I heard a bull, I would use the wind to get within 100 to 200 yards and cow call. I got into this scenario probably a good 7 or 8 times.d I would never bugle once I moved into a few hundred yards of the bull. 3 - The bull would USUALLY make his way towards me. Sometimes a 2nd bull from a different direction would move towards me.

Doing this, a couple raghorns came into view, but the bigger bulls that were bugling would come into 80 to 120 yards and then move off. I never had any come in.

This year I think I am going to focus more on locating a bull, through a locator bugle or just listening, and then I am just going to go stealth mode. Use the wind, move in on the bull, and try to get a shot without him ever knowing I was there.

I also think I am going to try following the bull more often if he starts to wander off and try to piss them off with more bugling.

Any feedback or thoughts on my strategy? What have you guys found to work? What would you do differently?

05-Sep-14
I've had more DO NOT call advice than anything...I going to call. That's what I do.

05-Sep-14
Locate them like you know and get yourself in close to the cows then get yourself worked up with some bullish attitude and take his cows and don't take any of his sh*t, I am pretty sure he wont let you!!

05-Sep-14
I forgot to mention, match his demeanor and as you get him worked up start cutting his bugle off and then shut up when you feel he is getting closer, you might also tear a tree up while you are talking to him.

05-Sep-14
Toss the cow call if you want to get the herd bull. He has cows and will usually only come in if threatened.

05-Sep-14
Great feedback guys! All I did 2 years ago (When i failed on a good elk tag) was basically cow call when I get near him. Oh, well. Live and learn right?

05-Sep-14
If you think he's coming after you cow call, move downwind some. They like to circle downwind when they get close.

05-Sep-14
+1 otcwill-All you are doing is giving him something to look for that he won't find with that cow call. I also don't try to threaten him. If you get close, try to sneak in or hope he walks past you and gives you a shot. Most of the herd bulls I meet would rather take their cows and run than get into a fight. The longer I hunt elk the more I realize that calling has very limited benefits. If you can slip in silently, you will probably be better off.

05-Sep-14
IMO the tactic you are going to try this year is the tactic i basically use all the time, locate a bull, go into stealth mode and close the distance hard, check the wind, and move into bow range. If you do this 7-8 times as you previously did, I believe you WILL be rewarded with an opportunity to fling an arrow. This tactic has worked many times for me.

Let us know how it works for you.

06-Sep-14
Lots of elk hunters on this site to learn from. I think for me if Bigdan said to forget the cow call, I would do just that. I remember my dad saying , keep doing what your doing and you'll keep getting what your getting. Best of luck on your hunt, stay safe.

07-Sep-14
Hunters that don't call... don't call in elk.

Anyway, having said that, I had an interesting conversation this weekend with a couple of guys I hunt with occasionally. They are brothers and told me that several times they've set up early in the morning a couple hundred yards apart and just bugled back and forth at each other, acting like they are trying to intimidate each other. They said this tends to bring bulls in silent. My theory is that satellite bulls might come to this sort of strategy thinking they can steal a cow while the more dominant bulls are screaming at each other. I'd really like to try this some time.

12-Sep-14
I listened to a tape one of my hunting buddies gave me a few years ago about a guy that "silent calling" I think he worked or rep'd Primos hunting calls?

Anyway he'd blow a few cow calls like ordinary heard talk and then he'd do a "hyper-estrus" call, followed by a bugle.... He claims the Bulls will come in "silently"

I've actually tried it and it does work...

I guess what ever works.... works.... kind of like fishing with a yellow lure.... if it works and the red one don't.... stick with that yellow one!

Good Luck!

14-Sep-14
I usually don't call. I just sneak in on elk. Public land elk I hunt know a human vs a real elk. I'd rather them not know I was there and just sneak in on them.

21-Sep-14
I'm new to calling. Used a hyper-estrus call this morning to bring a six point satellite bull to 72 yds. from forbidden ground over a fence to me(2-300 yds). He came in downwind, although there was very little breeze. He started to lose interest and head back to where he came from. Like a fool I called again and he returned one step closer looking right at me. Then he must have caught my wind and he hauled back to where he came from. It is 10:50 AM and they are still bugling on private around me. What can I do?

21-Sep-14
I have heard many people say leave your bugle tube at home when hunting public land or where hunting pressure has been considerable. HOWEVER, I have found that they are wrong... at least in the early part of the season.

This year I did some blind calling (hadn't heard anything, but had reason to believe the elk were close by in the dark timber... late evening) and only bugled. I called in a beautiful 6X. He circled and came in downwind and my son and I had set up wrong. He winded my son before either of us could get the shot.

I believe, based upon my experiences, that early in the season, before they gather their harems, bugling is very effective for calling in the larger bulls.

The bull that I called in was moving into other bulls and shutting them up.

Good luck!

• Sitka Gear