idacurt 16-Oct-14
HeadHunter® 17-Oct-14
BULELK1 18-Oct-14
cityhunter 18-Oct-14
t-roy 18-Oct-14
cityhunter 19-Oct-14
t-roy 19-Oct-14
06-Sep-14
Finally in less then a week I can escape from New York !!!!! its been a tough year in NY ! Time has flown by this year, all work no time to hike /train :< Traversing the mountains will be a vacation, I look forward too . The drive out is over 2,200 miles first stop is Iowa set some stands check on plots. Then push forward to MT !!!! Its a long drive for one person but well worth the effort. Best of luck to all heading West !!!! Louis

06-Sep-14
Be safe Lou

06-Sep-14
If your passing through central PA pick me up. I hate living east this time of year, drives me nuts!

06-Sep-14
When are you leaving, Lou?

I'm heading west, solo early Fri am.

06-Sep-14
Good luck Louis. What part of Montana are you hunting in?

Keep the Dodge upright and on the road!

06-Sep-14
Good luck and stay safe. I'm flying into Bozeman on the 11th and hitting the mountains on the 12th.

06-Sep-14
Louis - I hear you, brother. Drive safe, hunt hard, "don't get et by no bahrs". Enjoy every minute.

I have no doubt you'll be successful, but good luck.

06-Sep-14
I cant wait till I escape from Ny permanently......

06-Sep-14
I'm with you Lou, but I'm flying!

Best of luck!

06-Sep-14
Good luck Snake! "I heard you were dead..."

Always had a thing for Adrienne Barbeau...

Get em Lou! Have a great hunt!

06-Sep-14
Good Luck Louis!

06-Sep-14
GL Louis

We head out Tuesday

06-Sep-14
I'm heading west myself on Thurday till the end if the month.. Been very lucky hunting elk the last few years. I hope it continues that way.. Everyone heading out have a safe and fun time. eD

06-Sep-14
bogey yes one stop in PA to a tannery have to drop some critters off

06-Sep-14
Where's that tannery and what's the name?

06-Sep-14
Leaving Monday. Still dont know exactly where I'm going but I'm going somewhere.

06-Sep-14
Leaving Monday. Still dont know exactly where I'm going but I'm going somewhere.

06-Sep-14
First time hunting MT, city? Griz country?

I'm headed out on the 12th, treestands were hung yesterday.

Best of luck, buddy!

06-Sep-14
Good luck City

07-Sep-14
Teeton Its in aspers Pa keystone fur dressing !! do u own it!!!

07-Sep-14
No Cityhunter don't own them.. But I have heard of them... eD

07-Sep-14

Charlie Rehor's MOBILE embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's MOBILE embedded Photo

The life of a bow hunting bachelor! Enjoy!

07-Sep-14
Escape New York, who are you "Snake Pliskin" LOL remember that movie? Just Jealous leavin on the 16th. GOOD luck

08-Sep-14
All I can say is BooHoo. This will be the first year in 7 that my partner and I have missed. Called him Saturday and he's already got the DT's. New York bow season starts October 1 and that might take some of the sting out of it, but I've been waking with cold sweats.

08-Sep-14
Get'em Louis! I leave on Wed. A steak dinner says I kill one first. Good luck my friend!

08-Sep-14
Good luck Lou,

08-Sep-14
Have a safe trip

08-Sep-14
Good luck on your trip. If you need to stop and rest near Chicago let me know.

08-Sep-14
sure Will Thanks Tody my goal is to make it to Iowa first stop 1180 miles , spend a day there working the farm then up into WY .It will be a pleasure to escape into the mountains !!!

08-Sep-14
Hope you and the little guy have a great time!!!

08-Sep-14
Have fun city!

08-Sep-14
Good luck Lou, I am leaving Monday for western Wyoming and cant wait!

08-Sep-14
good luck, Snake!!!

14-Oct-14
now the bad part back to NY :<

15-Oct-14
So City, you should have some good stories to tell. You have been out there for a month.. Did you hunt just elk or did you hunt other game and in what states did you hunt?

eD

15-Oct-14
It's always tough going back to the concrete jungle after a good trip!

15-Oct-14
Teeton ive been home for weeks only out west for about two weeks. I did fill my two elk tags !

15-Oct-14
So, where are the stories with pics city ? We " only dream about elk hunting guys " are hungry !

15-Oct-14
I will guys just a little down in the dumps these days My dog Rudi passed away ohh how i miss him !!!

15-Oct-14
Cityhunter,just went through this with my dog of 13yrs,sorry to hear about your buddy.

15-Oct-14
Sorry about your dog! Tough deal. I went thru it this summer. Miss my guy too!

15-Oct-14
city, get another one right away....it won't replace Rudi, but you'll love it just as much. I guarantee it!

15-Oct-14
Idacurt thanks sorry for your loss also . Dogs really are mans best friend !!

15-Oct-14
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

I have a dachshund and they are great dogs. HUNT

15-Oct-14

cityhunter's embedded Photo
While In Montana i got a call asking if I and Rudi would help track a lost elk !! Rudi lived for this he was bred to track blood lines. The morning we woke to a steady rain , the hit was over 25 hrs old ,I was told by guide and hunter hit looked perfect . I gave Rudi the hunters arrow and off he went !! Only two drops of blood were seen.Bull was seen bedded by hunter /guide yet no blood in his bed day before. Rudi knew what we were there for, He loved to hunt more then me LOL . Rudi was hot on the wounded bulls trail i can tell by his body language , we were tracking for some distance at this point i never seen any sign on the track , yet i had to trust Rudi. We came to a point were Rudi looked a little confused in the track we continued on .. but i told hunter guide and friend it wasnt looking good . I didnt see any blood or any sign at all At this point we all split up .. Rudi circled the area there was plenty of fresh elk and cattle sign to confuse and ruin a blood trail . Below us was a herd of elk screaming bulls cows!!! Rudi went back in direction we had past he went up high !! I followed his leash. .Rudi stopped for a moment his nose went up in the air. At this moment i told him getum he tore down jumping blowdowns about 100 yards was the dead bull In a circle of brush . Once Rudi found a kill its best to let the little guy have his way with it lol. It took the others about 45 min to find us.Finally all together the hunter was so happy even when Rudi wanted to maul him when he got close to the elk !!!! I was so happy to see Rudi recover another lost bow kill It was like my kid had hit a grand slam HR One of my best hunting moments !!! the track was over a half mile in rain. After this Rudi was a wanted fellow in Montana i was offered 8 grand for him but no mans money can buy mans best friend !! Rest in peace Rudi May 16 2012 Sept 23 2014 His life was short but ohh so full !!! Louis

15-Oct-14

15-Oct-14

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
Nothing beats a good dog city ! Sorry about Rudi. I have a Jack Russell that is my best buddy. He is five now, still in his prime. Good tracker too ! I'm with midwest, get another !

15-Oct-14

Haha Rudi was great at pulling the hair off the back section .

Yea Hunt Man they do have a great desire to hunt dont let there little size fool u . Only dog that can work above and below ground .

15-Oct-14
He also could make the pack out a few pounds lighter. Drycreek im working on doin a dachshund rescue as we type . Im also on a breeders list these wirehaired can be tough to come by . I love hunting with dogs and using dogs. When i move out west some lion dogs are in order!

15-Oct-14
Wow, City, so sorry to hear about your pup. When a fellow dog lover hears a story like this, we all immediately think about the dogs we've lost, and how hard it was to adjust to life without our best friend. For a very long time, you'll think of something he did, or have a specific memory, and you'll shed a tear and a smile at the very same time. Only another dog person will understand that.

Not looking forward to the inevitable myself, my GWP is 11 and she's slowing down.

The pain will ease a bit over time, not go away, just ease.

15-Oct-14
Ace thanks

15-Oct-14
Ah, man, thanks for the Rudi story.

Short on legs, long on attitude and confidence.

Sorry for the loss, but glad you're getting another one as soon as you can. Sounds like too good of home to not have a blood-trailing, badger-digging, deer-tracking, heart-melting dog.

We've fostered seven or eight dachshunds for the local shelter. No wirehairs.

15-Oct-14
Sorry to hear that Louis. Good friends, hunting partners, great times together. They will be missed.

Dog is man's best friend. You know how to prove it? Lock your wife/girlfriend in the trunk of your car with the dog. Come back a few hours later, open the trunk and tell me which one is happiest to see ya!

I'm with the others, get another dog soon. It won't make up for the loss, only time heals those things, but starts an entire new path of adventure in life.

I have GSPs, 3 of them. They live in the house, sleep in our bedroom, part of the family. I try to pick up a new dog about every 5 years or so. That way you always have at least two fully functioning bird dogs. They are 2 1/2 (3rd season coming up), 7 and the ol man is 13 or so, I forget. I'm quite sure he has forgotten too, pretty much just does as he pleases these days. His backs legs barely work, falls down the stairs from time to time, but you can't make that ol piece of leather quit. I know we're on borrowed time, it's all gravy from here.

He doesn't hunt with us anymore, he was a machine in his day. It's great to raise a pup with the older dogs that know what they are doing, they pick it up so much faster. And they learn to work together as a team real well. When all three were in the field the other club members used to call us the vacuum cleaners. They didn't leave much behind.

Keep us in touch when you get a new pup. It will be a great partner for sure.

16-Oct-14
sorry to hear about your dog City .....

16-Oct-14
Sorry to hear about your hunting buddy city

16-Oct-14
City...I sure was enjoying your thread until you got to the last part. Sorry about the loss of your big hearted friend. Mind me asking what type of little guy he was?

16-Oct-14
My condolences on losing Rudi. Dogs are like broadheads. The best ones leave big holes.

16-Oct-14
Louis, you already know, but I will say it again. Sorry about Rudi. I know it gutted you. Turned a great hunt sour.

Time heals.

Rick

16-Oct-14
Sorry City to hear about Rudi. Years after my pup Teeton died at 16 in 2001 I still think about him and the things we did together. Teeton was the coolish English setter ever.. He would ride on the quad with me, him in front sitting on the seat with his paws on the handle bars with his own full face helmet on. His snoot would stick out some. I would kinda duck behind him as cars would pass by. It looked like he was driving. In the truck he would wear ski goggles with his head out the window. Got lots of looks on that one too. I ski as I live right by a ski resort Teeton would wear his goggles at the resort and all the regulars knew him. I guess you can see where I got my handle from.

As for me thinking u we're out west for 4 weeks dating your first post and then your post "now the bad part back to NY :<" I was thinking you just got back.

What states did you hunt in?? 2 bulls or Bull and cow ?? eD

16-Oct-14
Teeton the drive home was the hardest drive i ever did in my life ! I was in MT and WY two bulls this Sept.

AT Rudi is a Dachshund wirehaired type used for blood tracking Rudi has been all over the USA MT WY AZ Iowa NY Fla .

16-Oct-14
city, Did you just keep Rudi in a crate while you were hunting during the day? Would be fun to have a good dog along.

16-Oct-14
Tough stuff City. Pups are the best companions for sure.

16-Oct-14
Nick Rudi would either be in the Rig or back at camp!Waiting for the blood !!

16-Oct-14
Louis- Sorry to hear of your loss of Rudy. As a Vet, my life has been built around my love of dogs. PM me if you want to talk about what happened. Good Luck.

16-Oct-14

Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
city, sorry for your loss. I lost my best friend and hunting partner 2 years ago when my neighbor ran him over in my driveway. Pike was a a 7 year old Deutsch Drahthaar and I still struggle with him not being there to greet me when I get home from work.

16-Oct-14
Sorry about the loss of you dog! Congrats on the two elk!

16-Oct-14
Vernon Im so sorry. Dooner will do thanks . Just want to say thanks ! so many have been very helpful .

16-Oct-14

idacurt's embedded Photo
idacurt's embedded Photo
Vernon,sorry about Pike.Your dog reminded me of my dog Duncan who's a Small Munsterlander.

17-Oct-14
I have to add to this story .... Lou did shoot and kill 2 - 6 x 6 bulls with his bow in Montana and Wyoming. For a 'city boy' and from New York of all places, he has drive and does get the job done! Plus by his lonesome and packing out (several trips) in very harsh terrain to camp and back to the kill over & over till the job is finished! ... he has real stamina .... and IS a BOW hunter and he is very selective on what mature animal he does shoot!

-}}}}}}}}}}}-------------------->

18-Oct-14
So very sorry about your Rudi Lou--

After 13 1/2 years I had to put down my Nicia---(Great Perinesse)

I never have replaced her---scared to loose another one---I guess??

Hang in there buddy.

Good luck, Robb

18-Oct-14
Herm this year has been tough last Oct my childhood friend Anthony Giordano past away . Anthony and I hunted as kids with home made bows and arrows , in Illinois we both took PY bucks a day apart same sycamore tree. Then this summer Tanner Sinclair was murdered in the Yukon . The two bulls I bow killed this Sept were in Memory of my two friends Tanner and Anthony. Herm thanks for opening your door in my time of need . You Judy Butch and Baby were a big help !!!

Robb thanks If we dont take another chance then we are playing on the side lines .

Im about to Rescue a dog from Louisiana!!! Xavier is his name .

Its great to see the other dogs on this thread. Thanks to all for the words of support louis

18-Oct-14

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Sorry to hear of your loss, City! I had to put my dog, Poochie Mama, down last year. Somebody dumped her off on our dead end road in 2002. Best dog I ever had.

Like others have posted, they are members of the family.

What happened to Rudi if you feel comfortable telling us?

19-Oct-14
t roy is Poochie mama a border collie spanel mix hard to tell in the plot sorry.

19-Oct-14
Lou, according to to vet, she was part collie & part Australian shepherd. Not the best dog to have in the timber, but I'm sure glad that I didn't take her to the animal shelter when she first showed up!

• Sitka Gear