JLS 12-Sep-14
TD 12-Sep-14
Jaquomo 12-Sep-14
twojump 12-Sep-14
arctichill 15-Sep-14
huntnmuleys 15-Sep-14
Yendor 16-Sep-14
11-Sep-14
I leave in a few days for my elk hunt. I'll be hunting an area where I expect to encounter relatively little hunting pressure. The minimal number of [expected] hunters in this area is likely a result of the fact that the area has fewer elk than other parts of this huge unit. I prefer to hunt an area with fewer hunters even if it means fewer elk. What are your preferences or thoughts?

11-Sep-14
Same here

11-Sep-14
I have picked a unit with a little lower success rate because the amount of huntable land Vs. the number of hunters is better. May take longer to locate some elk but hopefully we wont have much interference from others.

11-Sep-14
Less people and less elk for sure!

11-Sep-14
count me in. finding areas where there are less hunters has become more of a priority then finding higher numbers of elk.

I know guys that hunt areas with lots of elk, and they rely on the high number of other hunters to push the elk to them. Elk often get scattered pretty early in the season, and seldom talk. Reminds me of the deer drive method that was/is common in many areas of the east and mid west. Not my cup of tea.

11-Sep-14
Less elk means take advantage of any opportunity you get. You may only have one shot so make it count :)

11-Sep-14
Much more enjoyable to hunt elk in their natural patterns, it's not necessarily easier but it allows a hunter to move slower once elk are found and really savor the experience.

Although the best thing is to have a low pressure area with lots of elk!!

11-Sep-14
I mostly agree with you, but in some situations you can capitalize on other hunters being in the area if you know where to position yourself...only thing is you may only get one chance to make it happen and the elk will be gone like a wax record! Easy answer, less people less elk.

11-Sep-14
I moved from a high-elk/high hunter density area to the opposite this season. The area I relocated to has low hunter density, low elk density (except for some pockets), and one of the lower success rates in the state.

Just came down for a few days to dry out, but I've had a blast for the past 14 days. I have not seen or heard another hunter in the woods, have seen or heard elk every day, have called in several good bulls and had a chance at a really good one that I blew when I got sidetracked trying to shoot a bear.

I find myself smiling a lot, slowing down, not worried about other hunters running in on a bull (or into me) whenever there's a bugle. Even if I don't kill an elk, the overall experience has been well worth it. And I still have more than 2 weeks to explore and learn, improving my chances in subsequent seasons.

11-Sep-14
Great to hear, Lou!

11-Sep-14
flippin' retirees..... they're everywhere....

well, everywhere you want to be.... =D

Cool Lou, what do they look like, these "bears" you speak of? heheheh....

11-Sep-14
TD, might have been a fat, hairy hippie chick in a black hoodie....

11-Sep-14

12-Sep-14
You only need one elk right?

12-Sep-14
I will take undisturbed elk over lots of elk any day.

12-Sep-14
It is hard. If there are so few elk that you go days with out any action then Otis hard to push on. I have found that if there are lots of elk and lots of hunters, you can often times find elk that are I disturbed. Look for areas that are overlooked, etc. At the same time fewer elk with fewer hunters means that maybe the same 3 guys are constantly hitting the same small herd making it very hard as well. The best is the area where you know the ground and animals extremely well!

12-Sep-14
Lou,

That hippy chick would clearly be wearing a brown and gold U of W hoodie.

12-Sep-14
I don't seem to have any problem at all finding the places with less elk....in fact I have moved on from a number of them.

12-Sep-14
LOL! SA, nearly hit the screen with a mouthful of coffee... good one...

See Lou.... they have color phase as well... plus you know it harvest time....

12-Sep-14
Since I'm in CO, I suspect she was wearing a black CU hoodie, out foraging for roots and mushrooms and such. Plenty of hairy earth muffins in that corner of hell called Boulder.

12-Sep-14
I didn't know that SA and I were hunting the same area!

15-Sep-14
Thanks for the input guys. I leave in the morning and will let you all know how it turns out.

15-Sep-14
I can tell you, too many elk can be a HUGE problem. even if there are no other hunters... sounds to me like you have a good plan.

16-Sep-14
I have hunted the same area for 25 years in Washington. We have way more elk and especially bulls, since it went to draw for branched antler bulls. The hunter numbers have stayed pretty stable. However, even though there might be 18 vehicles at the gate I have seen three hunters wlak by me in 12 years. I have a sweet honey hole where there is lots of pressure all around me, but they never go through my area. The great thing is that the elk move through this area all dy long. Opening day I had 4 5x5 to 6x6's within 30 yards. One was the biggest bull that I have ever seen. Damn, no bull tag. But the freezer is full with a great cow. So for me, I like lots of elk, and hunters all around, but never in your area.

• Sitka Gear