Contributors to this thread:
ga_ffemt 11-Sep-14
Prairie Dog 11-Sep-14
Marc W. 11-Sep-14
BowCrossSkin 12-Sep-14
oldgoat 12-Sep-14
ga_ffemt 12-Sep-14
11-Sep-14
My hunting buddy and I are leaving for unit 4 (Colorado) Sunday, we've hunted this unit several times but always the first week of the season. Its for the most part hot and dry that early. So this year we are going to try the last 10-11 days of the season. Just wondering what to expect with muzz season opening this weekend, any other advice is welcome.

11-Sep-14
I don't know about unit 4 but where I hunt they are hard at it the first weekend, then kind of fizzle out through the week and hardly any are left the last weekend. PD

11-Sep-14
Never had them by me in unit 81. Go hunt and forget about it.

12-Sep-14
It will vary from year to year, last year someone gets a big bull word spreads and then its over crowded. This year same people didn't get a bull last year and they won't go again maybe can't cause of work, change plans like you did.

You won't know until you get there.

Also, the internet people post everything where they're going, what ridge line, GPS coordinates?

GL either way.

12-Sep-14
There are some dedicated black powder hunters out there, but by and large I haven't seen very many off the roads by very far. Me and my wife put blaze orange of some kind on our packs. I figure if they are following the rules and wearing blaze orange and are in front of me I'll see them and if they are behind me, they will see me! Since it went to all draw for black powder tags, I've only ran into one in the field and he was already tagged out and was packing meat and that was seven seasons ago counting this one. Your results may vary though;-) I know others that have had different experiences though. I'm heading out tomorrow after work and hope my experiences hold true, lol!

12-Sep-14
Thanks for all the responses, been watching the weather - cooled off a little, really looking forward to next couple of weeks. Being there during the rut will be a new experience.

• Sitka Gear