fattire 12-Sep-14
rgwaldron 12-Sep-14
rgwaldron 12-Sep-14
rgwaldron 12-Sep-14
mn_archer 12-Sep-14
mountainman 13-Sep-14
rgwaldron 16-Sep-14
12-Sep-14
I'm going out for my first archery elk hunt to GMU 34 this year. I'm planning on being out the final week of the season. Can anyone with experience in that area offer any suggestions ? I've been on a few scouting trips and saw lots of sign but few animals. I'm also a little anxious about all the bear sign. Any advice on keeping the bears away once you get an elk on the ground, especially if it's just before dark. Seems like a lot of work to do while looking over your shoulder for bears.. but maybe i'm just paranoid.

12-Sep-14
I suggest you buy a bear tag. If your fortunate enough to harvest a elk, hunt its gut pile for a bear.

12-Sep-14
That sounds like a good stratedgy but I really don't know what I'd do with a bear. I've heard the meat is different than anything you've ever tasted.

Most of the area I scouted was a little south of white owl lake. I've heard there are elk farther south, but without a OHV I couldn't really get too far in my truck. I was thinking about trying south of Coffee Pot Springs Campground, but I'm not sure how rough that road is and if I'd be able to travel it in my truck.

I'm hoping the weather holds out and snow doesn't come too soon. I've heard it can get pretty deep up there and I can't imagine driving down the mountian with ice on that road.

12-Sep-14
All the elk are going to be way down in the bottom of Grizzly Canyon and Deep Creek Canyon by then which is difficult to access without horses but I have known a few who claim to go down in there.

It's a crowded unit early in the season and labor day and the sheep will have been through everywhere by then. I have not had good luck in that unit myself even during opening week when I have hunted it due to the pressure but have been on hunts where at least some of us took some elk.

MN Archer was attacked by a mountain lion up there late in the season he might have some advice for you.

You are right about not driving down that road with ice on it! You better take chains if you go up there that late.

It is a great place to snowmobile in the winter!

Best of Luck. PM me or post us a report as I have not been up there in a few years now.

12-Sep-14
The roads are up there are pretty good compared to some units. Your biggest problem is taking enough gas. I have never been able to drive as far as I wanted and I have dang near been all the way over to Glenwood springs and up on the Ute trail in the other units (33 and 24 are two of the draw units up there I think)

You should be good to go in that area you are talking about by coffee pot campground but there will have been a LOT of people up there by then.

That's pretty close to where MN Achers lion encounter was....

12-Sep-14
Thanks for the info!! I didn't see any signs of cats the last two trips I made and hopefully it stays that way. I'll keep my eyes open for sure.

You're right about it benig tough to get to the bottom of those canyons. I don't have a horse and wouldn't want to think about hauling and elk out on my back from there.

I saw all the sheep both times I went before, but how do they impact the elk? My last trip was during the 1st week of archery season and I saw a few hunters but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. A friend of mine that's hunted there before said the weekdays aren't quite as bad as the weekends. I'd like to go more often but it's hard to get time away from work and it's a long drive from Colorado Springs so I'm planning on the entire last week of archery season.

I'm hoping to be there during the peak of the rut and be able to locate something. I'd like a bull, but I really just want some meat for the freezer.

The first trip I made there I headed up the mountain with just over half a tank. I didn't realize how far you have to drive to get around up there so I took several gas cans on my second trip. I didn't drive around as much so I didn't really need it, but I'd hate to run out at the top. And I've already got the chains ready to go just in case, but so far the forecast looks favorable.

12-Sep-14
There is a road on your right after you go past the Deep Creek overlook near the artesian well. I have had some decent action up there.

12-Sep-14
Are you talking about the road immediatley after the well, or is it a little ways away?

Man that is some good water!!! I bring back as much as i can each time.

12-Sep-14
send me a pm, I might be able to help you out a bit.

I just got in and am headed to bed but maybe we can talk tomorrow.

yes, there are a bunch of lions in there. I bet in several years hunting all over 34 we seen well over 20 lions and many more bears.

michael

13-Sep-14
MN archer, is there a thread on that lion attack?? I would be very curious to know the circumstances,outcome,etc.

16-Sep-14
Has anyone in 34 heard any bugling? I've got a few days to go until I get there and I'm hoping I hit the rut.

• Sitka Gear