Medicinemann 12-Sep-14
CurveBow 12-Sep-14
rock50 12-Sep-14
fubar racin 12-Sep-14
DL 13-Sep-14
The Old Sarge 13-Sep-14
elmer@laptop 13-Sep-14
12-Sep-14
Looks like the northern lights will be putting on a show tonight. They are suppose to be visible all the way down to Colorado. It should be quite a show for those up in the mountains.

12-Sep-14
Farthest south I've ever seen the lights is right here in SW Idaho ... about 22 years ago.

I'll be watching. Any idea of best time?

12-Sep-14
A few weeks ago we spent several days watching them on the tundra. It was incredible.

I'll watch them tonight from my yard, then wake up and go moose hunting :)

12-Sep-14
Sounds like midnight will be best but they say as soon as it's dark some should be visible.

12-Sep-14
It should continue to improve through Saturday. Apparently, this is one heck of a solar flare.....

12-Sep-14

CurveBow's embedded Photo
CurveBow's embedded Photo
I took this picture in Upstate NY around 5 or 6 years ago. I used a tripod with my DSLR Nikon D200 with an exposure of 30 seconds to a minute. I used an ISO of 400 and an 18 - 200 mm lens, likely at teh wide angle end. The picture shows the aurora muuch better than it looked in real life, but I was able to notice it as I drove home from running with friends. It was one coooold night for pictures the way I was dressed! That part I remember....

>>>>-------->

12-Sep-14
The pics of the northern lights Tilzbow posted on the Stone sheep hunt thread were incredible.

On the moose hunt I took at Big Sand Lake Lodge in MB in October,2008 they were incredibly beautiful. Unfortunately, I took my camera for an unplanned swim with me and could not record any of it.

It's understandable why the Northern Lights in Alaska are one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World, right there with the Grand Canyon, Victoria Falls, the Great Barrier Reef, the Harbor of Rid De Janeiro, the Paricutin Volcano (Mexico), and Mount Everest.

I don't believe I will be able to see them all in my lifetime.

12-Sep-14
No sign of them yet in north east co will check back on them later.

13-Sep-14
Hey Old Sarge turn you're darn lights off, you're wasting electricity.

13-Sep-14
lol @ DL I have no idea what you're talking about. :0)

I tried several times over a few hours last night. Even set up a camera on a tri-pod and did time-exposures. Nothing. No sign of the lights at all.

13-Sep-14
Too cloudy and rainy to See them here in Anchorage area.

• Sitka Gear