orionsbrother 29-Sep-14
TREESTANDWOLF 30-Sep-14
Caddisflinger 30-Sep-14
ridgerunnerron 23-Nov-14
TREESTANDWOLF 23-Nov-14
12-Sep-14

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
Bet you thought it was about " that other guy " !

Well, it's not! Lol, and as his adventure is unfolding, mine starts tomorrow. To say I'm excited is an understatement. The training, weight loss and shooting will make this trip more enjoyable.

I'm flying out to Denver to meet up with a good hunting buddy from Louisiana, then onto Idaho to start chasing elk on Sunday.

We will be hunting with Corey Dailey in the same area where I took my Mt. Lion with him. This is really going to be fun, no question.

I admit, I enjoy posting photos from the experience, successful or not, but with my mindset and preparation ( Thx to so many Bowsiters ) I am ready.

I do wish TBM all the luck in the world, we are both rookies, and that's a great feeling in itself.

I will be sure to post some photos during if I can, and definitely after I get back.

You guys that gave advice, thank you. And I have the WVArcher arrow in the number one slot!

12-Sep-14
Have a safe and blessed hunt.

12-Sep-14
Best of luck to both of you my friend. Make the experience everything you want and bring home some great memories ( meat and antlers are an added bonus of course, but I know you are truly after the experience first , harvest second).

12-Sep-14
Have a great time!!!!

12-Sep-14
You've already got the attitude to make it a success. Good luck!

12-Sep-14
Don't have too much fun!!! :0)

12-Sep-14
Good luck, Rook!

12-Sep-14
good luck and have fun.

12-Sep-14
Have a great hunt Rich

12-Sep-14
Even though you may be a rookie- you have listen to experienced people who have tried to provide you with information and you are not going off half-cocked and with an humble attitude.

Await to hear your tales. Best of luck.

13-Sep-14

Thx everyone.

14-Sep-14

Proof we didn't go to Vegas!

See you in a week with an update.

14-Sep-14
Good luck!!

14-Sep-14
which unit are you hunting in Idaho?

16-Sep-14
Salmon-Challis National Forest in game unit 51.

16-Sep-14
Good luck. And I'm looking forwards to the rest of the story.

16-Sep-14
Go get'em Rich. I'm looking forward to the story.

20-Sep-14

My first elk hunt is in the books.

Pushing my body to the limit and experiencing high country hunting and all comes with it has given me the biggest satisfaction on this hunt.

From lightning and hail at 9,400 feet to exhausting hikes daily in the roughest country I've ever been in has brought a heightened respect for all that chase elk.

I'm no longer a " rookie" even though there is much more to learn.

Enjoy the pics and story to follow.

20-Sep-14

20-Sep-14
After a quick bite, we headed straight to the summit above camp to do some glassing.

This elevation was over 10,000' and would be the starting point for tomorrow morning.

20-Sep-14

20-Sep-14
Did you get a quick bite? :)

More pics!

20-Sep-14

20-Sep-14
Day 1:

Breakfast at 4:30, then we got a ride to the summit for sunrise.

No early bugle or elk in the glass, so we where on our way around the rim rock to the meadow below us.

Traversing loose shale ( That is what i think it was ) was quite a eye opener with a pack and bow. After about 30 steps I started getting it, sort of, Lol! Holy crap, what a long way down!

20-Sep-14

The " WVArcher" arrow in slot one.

20-Sep-14

After arriving above the meadow, some 3 hours later, time for more glassing.

20-Sep-14

20-Sep-14

The plan was to slowly work our way down, all the way out to base camp,calling,glassing and searching for elk.

All the proof I needed was in every meadow and ridge we crossed, but no responses until .....

20-Sep-14
Sorry i missed this Rich i thought it was a TBM thread.You and Jody this should be good.

20-Sep-14

One half hour before dark,2 miles from camp, 3 bulls bugle right below us as we are coming down.

They were not together, naturally we went after them as quick as possible. One quick bugle back at them, and one was responding. It's now getting dark fast and I'm set up 30 yards off the trail.

We can hear them below and wait the closest out until dark. Ugh! What a day one.

My thighs are on fire on the way down, almost like rubber! But I press on realizing I took care of every other leg muscle group except the quads. I realize the next am will not be pretty.

Arriving back to camp after 10pm, I force some food down and get some much needed rest.

20-Sep-14

Day 2:

Today was painful in the sense of my quads. After some stretches and breakfast, I was on my way to a 4 mile morning hike at around 8,000'. We hiked into a ravine below treeline and immediately got a response...on the next ridge, so off we go. Heading to that bull, I saw a cow and calf below me and dropped to the ground. Peeking around a tree I could see a nice 6x6,and the heart starts pounding.

20-Sep-14

Before I knew it, I was busted by that bull, even though the cow didn't see me.

The 3 ran out in front, some 80 plus yards in front, leaving the bull to take a look back at me.

What a sight for a whole 4 seconds,but one I will never forget.

By this time, the first bull was long gone.

20-Sep-14

21-Sep-14

21-Sep-14
Keep it coming!

21-Sep-14
Dude, someone needs to bring a you a triple shot mocha and stand over your shoulder....

Bring it!

21-Sep-14
Good luck on your hunt, thanks for sharing and posting some pics

21-Sep-14
Love it JLS, lol, in between flights, I will finish shortly.

21-Sep-14
JLS- it was a seven day hunt!

22-Sep-14

Day 3: Out back to the area we where at seeing the 6x6 bull from the day before.

I thought about that bull all night, didn't sleep really.

Today, after the morning hunt, we where headed to spike camp, 3.5 mile hike in, below some nasty rock cliffs, I'm told with a 800' elevation to start each day up there, yippee!

It's 5:30 am and the yotes are howling like crazy! This went on for 3 plus hours!

What's a rookie decision here? I hiked to the top of the ridge and cow called every 100 yards or so softly hoping to get a response.

It was dead, no answers, no bugles, just coyotes. I HATE THEM DAMN YOTES!

22-Sep-14
Change of plans for the afternoon. The temps warmed up and I decided to sit a brook coming out of the side of the mountain where I had seen the 6x6.

I hiked up into the canyon and set up on the head of the brook between 2 blow downs.

At 7:00 exactly I heard a faint bugle, then another and another, headed directly towards me. I looked at Tyler and we both where in a bit of disbelief. Then at 7:15 pm, the cows started and they where only 100 yards or so away on the opposite hill of the stream. Tyler set up behind me a cow called very low, with soft mews.

One more intense bugle by the bull and I could see the bull, a really nice 5x5, muddy antlers and body, headed down to the stream to get a drink. He was only 10 yards away at this point and I was ready.

Tyler whispered wait till he comes out of the cedars and let him have it.

With the bow up and ready to draw on his first step, a breeze came across the backs of our necks and Tyler whispered " Oh No".... I new exactly what he meant, I was crushed, the bull whirled and took off back up the ridge taking the cows along.

Amazing and dejected at the same time, but that's elk hunting, full of lessons.

22-Sep-14

22-Sep-14
Keep it coming, great so far!

Much better than the other "rookie" thread going right now!

22-Sep-14
End of Day 3 was mesmerizing on the hike down to camp.

Sunset and reflecting on what just happened.

All the preparation payed off, no question about it. It felt as if I was getting stronger with each hike.

22-Sep-14

22-Sep-14
Day 4:

Hiked in to spike camp,roughly 3 miles in off the main trail head.

Once set up, a 800 foot vertical climb to a great looking area.

Hiked another 2 into a hidden wallow that held super potential.

No luck that evening other than lightning, rain and hail with a little wind kept the night exciting.

22-Sep-14

22-Sep-14

22-Sep-14

23-Sep-14
Day 4:

Up and over and 2 more miles, then down into a hell hole!

But what a view once we got there! The most beautiful meadow and wallow. I was hard not to get excited here, mud thrown everywhere, the wallow smelled like you know what, LOL!

My set up was 25 yards away, set up and waited... and waited...and waited... and then another hellacious hail and lightning storm.

Here is where a Bowsite tip came in handy, carry a plastic garbage bag some one said and you will get multiple uses from it.

I slit it open, found an overhanging tree which I tied off and made a garbage bag umbrella that kept us quite dry until the storms passed us. All smiles

23-Sep-14

23-Sep-14

23-Sep-14

23-Sep-14
Having a hard time rotating this photo, but you get the idea, what a set up!

I apologize to those who have been following, got back to work and of course I'm slammed.

Thanks for being patient. - R

23-Sep-14

23-Sep-14
No luck at this beauty of an area.

on the hike out, about 1/2 mile before spike camp, we heard a bull screaming but it was way past shooting light.

Keeping my spirits up and enjoying every minute, that was the plan for the am.

A quick MH chicken and rice, hit the bag and I was out.

23-Sep-14
Day 5:

Bad start, already 1/2 hour late and I practically ran up the steep hill to the top, only to be greeted by a distant bull, then another, then 3 in all different directions.

I opted to stay put and try to get the closest to respond. He didn't.

Sent a bugle over the ridge over camp and got a response on the opposite ridge, off to the races.

Funny thing was now I had legs and air and we took off. Seemed like we where in there in 10 minutes ( more like 25-30 )but I felt really good now.

We got set up, Travis some 50 yards behind me and ....nothing, and I mean nothing! I just sat there and said to myself, I or we are making mistakes here, wind was good, but I couldn't figure it out.

Sitting there, in the area, I just felt great to be alive and appreciated this opportunity. time is winding down and it felt like this " rookie" was not going to get it done.

23-Sep-14

23-Sep-14

Day 6: The last day feeling has taken over. Optimistic is a perfect word at this point.

I sat the water source and hiked a few miles, then back to the water source for the evening.

No bugles or answers to calls all day or evening.

In my opinion, I was personally challenged and made the whole trip, every hike, every mountain. What a great feeling, the only thing better would have been my first elk. I'm prepared to do it again.

That evening, marinated mule deer heart, wrapped in bacon with an adult beverage.

Life is good, thanks again for the good wishes and help everyone.

23-Sep-14
Great job buddy! Really enjoyed the thread and no doubt it will be sweeter when it happens.

24-Sep-14
Congrats on many "firsts" for you personally on this hunt!

24-Sep-14
Thx for the kind words guys.

Hackbow, I will keep you posted, if you do head out, let me know I'm planning on being there quite a bit.

They said elk hunting is addicting, they where right!

24-Sep-14
Thanks for sharing!

24-Sep-14
Great read Rich. Gotta love those storms the way they sneak up on you! I'm sure the first of many great elk hunts! Best of luck this season .

26-Sep-14
Rich, thats one sorry arse looking group of hikers in the first pix! Just found this thread yesterday, Glad you made it back no worse for ware.

Sounds like you had a good time and Thanks for taking us along.

Bill V.

26-Sep-14
Great story,thanks for sharing!

29-Sep-14
Great story Rich. The emotional roller coaster of bowhunting any species makes for an unforgettable experience. Good luck on your next hunt.

29-Sep-14
Great story and details. Thanks for sharing.

29-Sep-14
I missed this thinking it was from "that guy". At least I was able to read and follow in one sitting.

All elk hunts are successful. Thanks for sharing and taking the time to post.

29-Sep-14
Great pics and story Rich. I really like the the pic with you in silhouette with your bow on your pack and your trekking pole. I'm going to have to steal that idea and try to copy that shot.

30-Sep-14
You know, as I sit here and read the comments, without question, I am thoroughly convinced,

I CANT WAIT TO GO AGAIN!

Make sure you read HUNTMAN's thread, it's what elk hunting is all about.

30-Sep-14
Sucker!! now you are hooked for life! Better start prepping for next years hunt. Sounds like a great hunt bull or not.

23-Nov-14
Keep us posted of your next elk hunt plans... Have any points for WY? CO?

23-Nov-14
Yes on Wyo, Utah, Az. and Co. But with other commitments, it's going to be awhile ;)

• Sitka Gear