Jaquomo 13-Sep-14
weighttrain_2000 13-Sep-14
Jaquomo 13-Sep-14
weighttrain_2000 14-Sep-14
Z Barebow 14-Sep-14
JLS 14-Sep-14
weighttrain_2000 14-Sep-14
13-Sep-14
Will elk and moose cohabitate with one another? I recently got a young bull moose frequenting my hunting area and the elk seem to have move out.

13-Sep-14
I sure hope so as I am leaving for 2 weeks in Wyoming with a tag for both!! Seriously, I have seen them in the same terrain a lot...of course the moose like to feed in the river/creek bottoms and the elk in the grassy meadows......but the same mountains often have both.

Joe

13-Sep-14
I've seen them both in the same area in Wyoming.

13-Sep-14
Definitely have seen them in the same area. Especially in the late evenings when its warmer and elk come down to drink, while the moose come out from their beds. Both like to bed on benches with access to water if that helps.

13-Sep-14
The area I've been hunting has provided amazing results, with regards to harvesting elk, since 2007.

Short version of the story

I've had my trail camera set up since July 1st and had gotten a lot of elk on film with multiple bulls. This last Monday I walked in to check my t-camera and I jumped a young bull moose right above my treestand (bedded down about 50 yards from my stand) and right next to the watering hole where my stand is located. I notified our local fish and game officer and he had indicated that they had received reports of a few moose several miles north of my hunting location but they had never seen nor heard of any sighting where I'm hunting. The officer didn't appear to be very happy about this moose moving in to this area (fairly close to homes and right off the inter-state).

Since this moose moved in, the elk seem to have moved out. I walked in there yesterday afternoon for an evening hunt and jumped him again right off the trail as I walked in. He ran about 80 yards and headed right back up the trail I was walking in on, it was obvious he didn't want to leave the area. As cool as it is to see a moose in an area I'm a little concerned that he's going to run all the deer and elk out of the area.

I sat in my stand until dark, calling periodically with no results. I became more aggressive with my calling and eventually got one elk (forked horn bull) to answer but he was barking non-stop for about 15 minutes. I became even more aggressive with my calling and he eventually ran in but wasn't stopping for anything (ran right past my 2 Montana decoys). You would have thought he had been kicked or was being chased by a predator.

Approximately 30 minutes later that moose comes walking in for water coming from the same area where the young bull elk had just came from. I've come to the conclusion that unless that moose moves on, the elk aren't coming back anytime soon. I know very little about moose but I do know they are very territorial and prefer to be left a lone.

13-Sep-14
Yes

13-Sep-14
If I harass him enough, throwing rocks at him while in my stand, jumping him ever time I walk in there, etc... will he eventually move on??? I had over 600 photos in 4 days (mostly elk) and since he moved in last Monday, I haven't had a single elk on film. I'm just a little discouraged.

13-Sep-14
If he's lost his velvet he'll be moving on soon anyway. All my local bulls have moved since rubbing and are roaming more.

I watched a 5 point bull chase a cow moose last week. She was curious about his wallowing and walked up for a closer look. When he noticed her he jumped up and took off after her, shaking his antlers.

Elk are moving more now that the rut is kicking in. Might have just cycled over the next ridge

14-Sep-14
Thanks for the info Jaquomo. The bull moose is hard horned and and with any luck he will move on soon.

14-Sep-14
They are in same area. You are overthinking it. There can be any number of factors why elk are not there. (Testosterone) Elk aren't generally homebodies. They have no problem in booking it over to the next drainage, or 3 drainages away.

In 2009, I was boning out my elk. I had a beautiful bull moose come within 35 yards, moaning away. I pulled out the bear spray because the moose showed no fear as he kept coming as I waved my arms. Me on the other hand,,,,,,,

14-Sep-14
Z is right, stop overthinking it.

Elk and moose both move for no real apparent reason sometimes. The other factor is they prefer different food types. Maybe the forage foods are not as good in quality and the browse is, hence the reason the elk moved out and the moose moved in.

You are completely wasting your time and energy in trying to get him to move on. Instead, you should be moving on finding where the elk went to.

Good luck.

14-Sep-14
Having the moose on film, jumping him twice walking in, having him walk in and water after we jumped him and having absolutely no experience with moose I probably am over thinking the situation a little bit. The area I'm hunting boarders tribal land so I really can't go chasing the elk so having him (the moose) pushing the elk out of the area is a little disheartening. I've been watching these elk for months and after 7 years of hunting them I feel as if I have them pretty well figured out. 99.9 percent of the time they will return, however we have never had a moose in this area, that we (myself and local residences) know of anyway. I guess time will tell. I really do appreciate the information because as I mentioned previously, I gave absolutely no experience with moose.

• Sitka Gear