coelker 14-Sep-14
Mule Power 14-Sep-14
JLS 14-Sep-14
Bullnbowcell 14-Sep-14
THEBUGLER 15-Sep-14
Bullhound 15-Sep-14
Mule Power 15-Sep-14
13-Sep-14
I hunted last weekend in a place where there were a lot of elk and it seemed most of the bear grass seed stalks were cropped off short. Yesterday I was trying out a different spot, not many elk (won't be back), but the seed stalks on the bear grass clumps were as tall as me. I guess I've never noticed that before.

13-Sep-14
Yes, they definitely eat the longer stalks. Very rarely will they nibble the grass itself.

14-Sep-14
It depends on the grass.... Where I hunt we have the big basin wild rye that the elk will not touch but the moo cows will... On the other hand they will eat created wheat, Indian rice, etc all the way too the ground. The best way to tell what is eating in the area is to determine what is also pooping in the area...

14-Sep-14
He mentioned bear grass. The stuff is very coarse with serrated edges and apparently they don't care for the taste... or it doesn't offer much nutritional value, or both, because they rarely if ever touch it. On occasion you'll see where they ripped a clump up and just dropped it on the ground. Nothing eats the stuff. Only the stalks.

14-Sep-14
Bear grass is only barely valuable for wiping your butt with. There are many other much better alternatives for food and emergency items!

14-Sep-14
bear grass on your arse???!!! nooo thank you ill find something better before i drag a toothy blade of grass across my behind. careful chewing on the beargrass as i have sliced my tongue right up before with that stuff.

15-Sep-14
Elk and deer love the Bear Grass blooms. They will eat it when it is fresh and soft and also when its all dried up.

15-Sep-14
THEBUGLER is right. the blooms are like cotton candy to elk!

15-Sep-14
On your butt... heck no! But I have used it to clean some stubborn stuff off of my cooking pan like a scouring pad. Only use I've found for it.

• Sitka Gear