JLS 14-Sep-14
2rope2 14-Sep-14
JLS 14-Sep-14
Shedhead 14-Sep-14
JLS 14-Sep-14
2rope2 14-Sep-14
onXmaps 15-Sep-14
13-Sep-14

I have the onxmaps chip for garmin Oregon 450t and I also have the onxmaps App for iPad. When I try and use the gps coordinates from the iPad and plug them into my GPS. The waypoints are off. I think it is due the decimal places on the app Example. iPad app. W 108 2 48.146104 N 35 0 13.835955 GPS N 35 00.138 W 108 02.481

Help me please. I have marked tons of stuff on the iPad and at the time I tried to export them. The app was not working correctly. Now I am 20 hours from home and all my way points I manually enter into the gps don't match. I just walked three hours and discovered this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13-Sep-14
I have just experienced the same thing in AZ. Marked 107 tanks and thier all about 1/4 mile off. Talk about pissin a guy off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13-Sep-14
Yea. Bad deal. I had the same thing. I hiked three miles into a huge canyon in nm. I gonna call Monday am first thing. Guess I am screwed for now

Shed. Are u still hunting or get it fixed. Cause I just got here.

13-Sep-14
You need to change the position format on your GPS. Turn on unit and go to settings>position format>position format> select whichever format you need. I think it is "hddd.ddddd"

14-Sep-14
Backcountry is right. Position format in gps must match the format of points you are entering.

14-Sep-14
Yea. I tried that. I don't have format in gps same as onxmaps. And I can't figure out how to change the format on iPad app.

Thanks guys. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Prob cause I was ticked a little. Thanks again

14-Sep-14
Call thier help line...for sure the best way to get to the bottom of it...

14-Sep-14
Make sure you're using the right datum!

14-Sep-14
Thanks again. I have no idea what a datum is. But think I am getting closer. I tried today while hunting an got it pretty close. I changed some settings.

14-Sep-14

JLS's Link
The datum is the reference system the GPS uses to locate the point coordinates. If the datums are not the same, then you are using a different point of reference and your coordinates will not be in the same location across different datums.

What you are describing sounds exactly like that. There is a way to set the datum in your GPS and should also be a way to set it in your iPad (or at least find out what it is and match the GPS.

If you enter coordinates using one datum, the GPS will take this into consideration when you change to a different datum and adjust the point.

14-Sep-14
had some time on my laptop this afternoon. I had some coordinates of tanks i took the last couple days and crossed refernced them with what is now on google earth and they match. When i entered the other coordinates from GE in WI they are all off. Now that i am in AZ they are good on GE. Declination issues maybe. any how i just had to a little re-research and have been plugging them in as i go. Still a major pain and loss of precious time.

14-Sep-14
Declination will have no bearing on your GPS coordinates.

14-Sep-14
Thanks again. I am having to manually plug them in and once I changed. I think they r all good. I am sitting on a water hole this afternoon. Not much bugling going on here. If they r I haven't found them yet. But still looking. Thanks again

15-Sep-14
Hey @2rope2, Marcus from onXmaps here. As others have alluded to, it looks like the units that you're using on your GPS unit are different from the units on the HUNT App. Looks like you've got it mostly figured out, but please let me know if you're still having problems.

Thanks, Marcus (406)-540-1600 ext.245

• Sitka Gear