Adventurewriter 14-Sep-14
Coyote 65 14-Sep-14
Adventurewriter 15-Sep-14
smarba 15-Sep-14
THEBUGLER 16-Sep-14
socoguide 20-Sep-14
JLS 20-Sep-14
14-Sep-14
I have my Hunt X maps chip in my GPS and really like the concept and how it works. Trying to work the edges of some public and private and there is a section that has an old looking "No Tresspassing...violators prosecuted" ETC ETC. Looks like the sign has been there for a long time... My Hunt X map says it is national forest.... I have heard that this is a big selling point is that these maps are dead on. I know sometime people put up thier own signs...but thinking if tyhat was the case this old looking sign would have been taken down by the forest service...

Any thoughts?????

14-Sep-14
In my neck of the woods, forest/private boundry normally is fenced. No fence, I am betting that if there is no fence there is no boundry

15-Sep-14
yote 65...Colorado is as serious as 20 heart attacks on hunting on private property w/o permission and it isn one of thier most serious violations.....

They point out that fences are not required and posting is not reqiured

15-Sep-14
I would not be surprised for forest service to not take down (or miss) a sign.

Tough to be sure 100%. I was in the field with my buddy and his OnXMaps showed public; mine showed private. I had updated my chip; he hadn't.

The signage & fencing in the field was obviously old and it was apparent that property had not recently changed land status.

So in that case I believe that the OnX update had incorporated additional land ownership info, which goes to show that it is not correct 100% of the time.

Does any paper map show it public? If you had both a paper map & OnX I would think that is beyond doing your due diligence; however, only way to be sure would be to call the forest service, which I would recommend.

Carl

16-Sep-14
Some counties have land ownership maps on their websites. That would be a 100% reliable way to check it along with a call to the USFS.

20-Sep-14
I have had the same issue on showing a BLM/private boundary... Best advice is to play it safe because you will not get a break in most cases if caught on the wrong side...

20-Sep-14
Go to the County Assessor's webpage and see if you can look it up there. If not, get the T, S, R and call the assessor.

• Sitka Gear