Beav 26-Sep-14
ozarkmanp 26-Sep-14
mn_archer 26-Sep-14
ozarkmanp 28-Sep-14
mn_archer 28-Sep-14
ozarkmanp 28-Sep-14
20-Sep-14
3:33 AM LIVE from Mt*
Well here we go. Leaving and headed west. South Dakota tonite then Montana tomorrow. Hope I didn't forget anything.

20-Sep-14
Safe travels and best of luck.

20-Sep-14
3:49 PM LIVE from Mt*
Made it to Mitchell South Dakota. In Cabelas walking around.

20-Sep-14
9:43 PM LIVE from Mt*
We will be at out destination in Montana about 1pm tomorrow. We will shoot our bows and listen around dark. The weather looks warm for us this week but you never know.

21-Sep-14
8:34 PM LIVE from Mt*
Heard 5 different bills bugle right before dark tonite. Start hunting in the morning.

22-Sep-14
9:50 AM LIVE from Mt*
I can't post pics but I will so that after we get done and home. First setup this morning we worked a herd bull for 45 mins or so , no luck. We left him about 930. Had 2 other bills respond to is but no luck did have a spike bull in on us. Great start

22-Sep-14
11:18 AM LIVE from Mt*

ozarkmanp's MOBILE embedded Photo

Small rub we found this morning.

22-Sep-14
11:27 AM LIVE from Mt*

22-Sep-14
9:23 PM LIVE from Mt*
This evening was beautiful an the bulls were vocal. We boogered a bull walking in to our setup but he never smelled us. Once setup that bull responded with multiple bugles. We got a good look at him from 60 yards or so when we boogered him before. He was a nice 320 class bull. A bull either one of us would shoot. Our setup seemed perfect and it looked like he was going to cooperate but he walked behind us 75 yards or so . I attempted to cut him off and I did but he caught me moving. I still had a uphill shot at 70 yards but I would not take that one. He eased back toward my hunting partner and I was hoping he would get a shot. I eased back towards my original position. I caught him slipping back thru the timber towards our decoy. It looked like he was standing on top of Cam. He was, no shot. He finally caught a little wind and was gone. Cam was 15 yards and the bull was broadside but too many saplings. No luck tonite. We saw another 7 -8 bulls in a green field. It's warm but the rut is kicking. Back at it tomorrow.

23-Sep-14
1:55 PM LIVE from Mt*
Tried to get in front of the elk as they left the fields this morning. We accomplished that but they did not come our way. We adjusted and made a setup between two bugling herd bulls. After an hour the herd bulls were still screaming but not moving . Finally a small 4x5 comes thru at 20 yards and we both pass. Cam had a better shot than I did. He had him at 20 yards broadside and stopped. We are hoping this afternoon we can get one on the ground. It's as hot here in Montana as it is in Arkansas. Not the best weather for trying to kill a stud bull.

24-Sep-14
11:59 PM LIVE from Mt*
Got lucky tonight and saw a bull we call the beast. A 7x6 that will be in the upper 370s to 390 is our guess. What a beautiful animal. He had his cows in a meadow with another herd bull and his cows. That bull we think is 340 or so. We got setup trying to call the beast in but that didn't work but the other bull came in with his cows. One cow was 16 yards downwind she boogered a little. The bull was at 35. I had two limbs to shoot thru. I drew when the cow boogered and let the arrow fly. Complete pass thru. It looked good. I saw blood 1/3 up his body right behind the shoulder. I thought it was a heart shot but it can't be because we trailed him 1/2 mile. Really good blood out of both sides . These dudes are tough. We resume the trail in the morning at 630 am. Wish me luck

24-Sep-14
Good luck, hope you find your bull.

24-Sep-14
Thanks for sharing your hunt. Good luck on finding your bull. If your shot is as you describe, he is dead. I'm sending positive waves you way!

24-Sep-14
3:18 PM LIVE from Mt*
Still haven't found him. Good blood and found where he bedded. Blood coming out both sides. I just can't imagine that my shot placement wasn't fatal. Anywho, we had a great morning we had 4 or 5 bulls all within 60 yards but no shots. Even tho the weather is warm the rut is rocking. Cam still has to shoot one before we leave. We think we will still find mine it's just going to take some time I'm afraid.

24-Sep-14
Don't make me come up thereā€¦

24-Sep-14
5:15 PM LIVE from Mt*
It's rocking simple man for sure. I am hoping we can get one on the ground for Cam and then hopefully find mine. We have spent 8 hours looking from last night until noon today. Will pick it back up tomorrow. For now we hunt.

25-Sep-14
10:27 PM LIVE from Mt*
Left a little later this afternoon due to the heat. The first 30 minutes out we heard no bugles. Then it started about 615. We headed towards them and got in the middle of 2 good bulls in the thick timber no shot. We the headed south and picked them up as they eased thru some clearings toward the alfalfa. Cam and Abe moved toward they as Dave and I held back and called. We layed in the grass and waited as they tried to catch up to these 2 bulls. They couldn't. As we called just sitting in the grass a nice 6x6 walked up within 50 yards. No shooter present so we had to watch him move off. Another great day in Montana.

25-Sep-14
Are you still looking for your bull?

26-Sep-14
10:45 PM LIVE from Mt*

Here's a pic of Cam's bull he killed this afternoon in 90 degree weather with me calling in blue jeans. We were out looking for my bull. We think tomorrow we have a decent shot at finding him . We found some more good sign and direction he traveled. Looks like he made a big circle. Hopefully we get that done. Back to Cam's hunt. We decided to back out after finding new sign from my bull when a satellite bull ran in us at 50 no shot. Then another no shot. Cam was drawn on both bulls but no opportunity. A big herd bull was moving bothy of them away from his cows. He was a big 5x6. We worked him for 20 minutes or so when a 5x5 can in 30 yards but he came in between me and Cam so we had to let him go . Then we moved 40 yards to inch closer to the herd bull when a nice bugle ripped out not 70 yards south of us. The bull came I. To 12 yards head on. He stood there face to face with Cam at full draw. He started to booger when I cow called and he stopped broadside WHACK!!!! Double lung 130 yards he ran. I put a tape to him and he will make pope and young at 280 or so. A beautiful 6x6. Cams first bull but probably not his last. It's been an unbelievable week. Although I may go home tomorrow nite without my 350 class bull rack In the truck it's been amazing.

26-Sep-14
Congrats! Good luck on finding your bull.

26-Sep-14
8:43 AM LIVE from Mt*
Still not luck finding mine but hey it's hunting and we gave it our all trying to find him. After 40 plus miles of walking while hunting and looking my feet are worn out. I have a rather large cut on my pinkie finger from gutting Cams elk . Overall it has been by far the best elk hunt I have ever been on. I'm more of a whitetail hunter but if I lived closer I think these beast would be number one. Now on to Kansas in a month or so. I am thankful for the blessings from my Savior , my wife's patience , my kids and the ability to enjoy Gods creation. We leave for home about 2 today thanks for following. I will post a couple live hunts from Kansas in November if you want to follow.

26-Sep-14
great job, where were you guys hunting?

michael

28-Sep-14
11:22 AM LIVE from Mt*
Mn we were In central Montana. Thanks for following.

28-Sep-14
ahh I see that now, silly me. sounds like a good hunt.

28-Sep-14
again I struggle with pics on this site. I have no idea why they come in upside down or sideways.......any answers? I use a IPHONE 4s

• Sitka Gear