Badlands 22-Sep-14
Rob Nye 23-Sep-14
Florida Mike 23-Sep-14
TD 23-Sep-14
motorhead7963 23-Sep-14
YZF-88 23-Sep-14
REX 24-Sep-14
22-Sep-14
I live in one of the most popular elk hunting areas in Saskatchewan, it is a limited draw-only region. This morning I walked to one of my treestands to hunt whitetails and was perched in it about 45 minutes before daylight. Within a few minutes a group of elk started talking, sounded like several cows and a "growler" bull who never did let loose an actual bugle. I guesstimated they were about 300 yards away and was wishing I had a draw tag but it is a very tough area to draw. As it got light enough to see they went quiet (the season has been on for a week and they know the drill.) A few minutes later I heard a truck coming down the road hell bent for leather. The truck stopped at the edge of my property, I heard the door slam and then the "hunter" let loose a couple of terrible sounding elk bugles. With no response within about 2 minutes the guy got back in his truck, slammed the door and took off. Not sure who was more amused, me or the growler.

22-Sep-14
To bad you didn't have a call to respond with then bust the nuckle head when he came onto your property. I bet elk in certain places see this kinda stuff daily.

22-Sep-14
Sounds like the Oregon coast.

22-Sep-14
I've seen that happen many times turkey hunting too. It works enough that guys keep trying it.

Was working a gobbler off a mountain in Idaho a few years back on NF ground. Truck came by and let out a couple of woodpecker calls. My gobbler was hot, but he didn't respond to them. When they got back in the truck and slammed the door, he gobbled at that!

As soon as they left I picked up where I left off and 15 minutes later he was dead.

On the other hand, I've killed a couple of birds that I initially got to gobble from the truck.

23-Sep-14
My wife sat the deer stand last evening, exact same thing happened 10 minutes before legal time was over. Wonder if it is the same road hunter or if it is just mass dumbassity?

23-Sep-14
MD.

23-Sep-14
LOL! "mass dumbassity" heheheheh.... that's good.....

Years ago working a raghorn bull (that BTW I would have tagged in a second) in MT, we were going back and forth pretty good, inside 40 yards a few times but hung up and pretty thick brush, mostly could just see his head and neck, no holes, no shot. He's hung up not seeing the other bull, I'm trying to work closer but it's tough....thick, bad set up.

A road pull out on the point straight up above us, maybe 150-200 yards, you could hear the truck flying up. A cloud of dust drifts over the edge, doors slamming and a couple of crappy bugles above us. I was looking up at them and glanced over at the bull 40 or 50 yards away and he was doing the same thing I was, looking up, staring at these guys.

We both sat there quiet and still, looking up, watching these guys.... they bugled a couple more times, doors slam, cloud of dust and they're gone. A bit later I fire off a bugle, he screams back and we picked right up where we left off before being so rudely interrupted....

But it seems you can't spend a good deal of time real close to a bull in the mountains without the wind doing it's swirl thing, and a few minutes later, just like that... all done.

Many years ago but I still get a kick at how it seemed like some cartoon sketch.

23-Sep-14
Road Callers...... BWAAAHAAA HAAHAA

23-Sep-14
I was in Idaho last week watching and listing to a guy on a horse go to town educating the elk while on a pack trail. He'd ride 100 yards, bugle and chuckle three times. Ride another 100 yards and repeat. Ride another 100 yards and repeat. The only responses he got was from a group of NR hunters.

24-Sep-14
Where I hunt in Idaho, we have our fair share of road buglers and guys who are part of what we call the "Hyper Hot Kazoo Marching Band." It amazes me that these jokers think that is a good way to hunt elk.

One time a few years ago, we were sneaking into a meadow before daylight listening to the bulls bugle up ahead and a guy pulls up in a diesel pickup on the road 200 yards below us, rolls down the window, and hyper called 5 or 6 times. He didn't even bother to shut his truck off. The bulls shut up and took off. That was the end of our hunt that morning.

Usually the "Marching Band" guys at least get out of their truck but all they do is educate the elk. This year, we got into a bugling bull several evenings in a row until some of these jokers must have heard him from where they are camped. The next thing you know, they were hiking through the woods hyper calling a dozen times every 100 yards or so. Educating elk, it drives me crazy.

• Sitka Gear