txhunter58 22-Sep-14
TD 22-Sep-14
TREESTANDWOLF 22-Sep-14
Woods Walker 22-Sep-14
moosenelson 23-Sep-14
Surfbow 23-Sep-14
Zbone 23-Sep-14
22-Sep-14
I just spent over a week hunting for elk paying special attention to thermal winds while I was hunting. I came up with 3 hard and fast rules for thermals:

In the absence of a prevailing wind, thermals will:

1) Go down slope before the sun comes up

2) Go down slope after the sun goes down

3)Between when the sun come up and goes down, there are NO hard and fast rules.

During periods of sunshine last week, I had up themals, down thermals, and swirling thermals at ALL times during the day. There are so many variables, you just can't predict.

Yes, if you are on a sparsely treed slope facing directly east, the thermals will go up after sunup, but not so on the west/north side of the mountain. Clouds going between you and the sun, they switch, etc.

So, it is interesting to try and play the thermals, but when the sun comes up, you just can't rely on them.

22-Sep-14
My experience is they tend to change direction simply with the nocking of an arrow......

Correct about the slopes, a hot slope with rising air has to "pull" the air displaced from somewhere, sometimes the opposite slope or an adjacent dark timber face, etc. The air can't just all rise from everywhere at the same time, not physically possible.

22-Sep-14
I'm not so experienced but totally agree with TD after what I witnessed last week.

22-Sep-14
And don't forget BAROMETRIC PRESSURE and RELATIVE HUMIDITY.

Both of these things have an affect on thermals.

23-Sep-14
Here in Manitoba we fixed that problem.......No hills! As a younger man I climbed a couple mountains and didn't pay any attention to or have knowledge of thermals.

Wanna hunt CO before they turn into CA and experience it first hand. Just gotta suck two other guys into coming along.

23-Sep-14
I find that the thermals will change right after you make a plan to set up and call or approach an animal, and then they change again after you alter your plans...

23-Sep-14
"Wanna hunt CO before they turn into CA"... Now that's funny right there. I lived out there a couple years and remember the bumper stickers - "Don't Californicate Colorado"...8^)

• Sitka Gear