DonVathome 20-Sep-15
WV Mountaineer 20-Sep-15
tobinsghost 20-Sep-15
Surfbow 21-Sep-15
CurveBow 21-Sep-15
Brotsky 21-Sep-15
Tracker12 21-Sep-15
23-Sep-14
This will be a long story with plenty of pictures along the way. This trip all started when I graduated college back in the spring of 2013. My parents told me before I started college that if I graduated on time and with honors I could pick a trip that I wanted to go on. I told Dad more than anything I wanted to do was a backcountry Elk hunt. However, immediately after graduation the fall of 2013 was counted out because I fell into a job opportunity that I couldn't turn down. So the trip had to be delayed until the fall of 2014. After much research and homework Dad and I settled on putting in for the New Mexico draw and trying our odds. We both drew first season archery tags in April. Dad and I are were both physically fit before, but from April until September we started training extensively with the Elk Hunt in mind. Our schedule on a weekly basis would be running 4-5 days a week of an average of 3-6 miles and then pack training 2 days a week. Along with the training we were shooting our bows out to 60 yards almost on a nightly basis.

It seemed as though the summer was flying by as I kept a countdown going on a daily basis. Before you knew it was the middle of August and we were laying out all of our gear to make sure we had everything we needed. We took off for New Mexico from West Virginia on September 4th. We planned to drive the 24 1/2 hours straight through the night after we both worked a full day.

23-Sep-14

switchback229's embedded Photo
We left the house at about 5:30 and were off on our adventure. The sun was in our eyes heading West but it offered up an incredible sunset.

23-Sep-14
Keep it coming!

23-Sep-14

We decided to make our route through Dodge City on the way out so that we could see the famous town. It was very cool seeing the old town with lots of history. We even got our picture with the Wyatt Earp statue.

23-Sep-14

23-Sep-14

We arrived in Northern New Mexico about 6 pm on the 5th. We were beat so we set up the tent fairly quick grabbed a bite to eat and tried to catch up on some sleep. We woke early the next morning and decided to get up and doing a 1/2 day of scouting from the truck to go over different spots we had located on Google Earth. We settled on a spot that was the most remote in the unit because our plan was to get as far away from other hunters as we could. We were wanting to hunt unpressured elk in hopes that they would be talking early with less presssure.

Once we got around to the spot where we were going to hike in from it was about 2 pm on the 6th. We loaded up our 55 lb packs and started our hike into the backcountry. About 2 miles into the hike we encountered elk already! They were about 150 yards out in a mix of a meadow and spruces. There was a very good 5x5 bull raking a tree with 2 cows in front of him. We also spotted a smaller 3x3 that was tagging along behind the group. We dropped our packs and tried to get in front of where they were headed but never got within range and they moved into thicker cover.

We ended up heading back to get our packs and continue our hike to where we initially planned. Once we broke on the other side of the meadow we dropped down into a drainage into some dark timber. In the timber we had another small bull come within 45 yards but no shot opportunities. We continued to work down the timber and got to a nice glassing point for the evening. We liked this spot so much it's where we decided to setup camp for the week. It gave us an awesome view of the whole drainage and we could hear anything that was bugling.

23-Sep-14
I drove by that statue this afternoon on my way home from work. What part of NM you go to? We have a condo at Angel Fire which is around Eagles Nest, NM.

23-Sep-14
Sounds like you had a great start to your hunt! Anxious to hear the rest.

Boothill... I've hunted the colin neblett several times before it went to res only. Have family near angel fire, beautiful area!

23-Sep-14
This is one of the main reasons I am on Bowsite! Give us the rest of the story.

24-Sep-14
Sorry guys had to get up for work at 5. I'll try to finish the rest of this story when I get home this evening.

24-Sep-14
Can't wait to read the rest. Thanks for posting the story, they are my favorite part of the Bowsite and you are off to a great start!

24-Sep-14
So far so good, keep it coming!

24-Sep-14
Very good so far! Waiting for the rest of the story.

24-Sep-14

Once we decided this was our spot for the week we dropped backs and began unloading the tent, sleeping bags, and sleeping pads. Working as a team we had the tent setup in no time and had our beds all ready to go for the first night. By the time we were done it was around 6:45 pm and we broke out our spotting scope and tripod. We both sat down and began glassing the whole drainage and that was when we heard our first bugle. I'll never forget this moment it will forever be engraved in mind, every little detail of that moment. There was a little bit of a drizzle of rain but other than that the sky was clear. We got comfortable for the evening and decided that we would do our homework this evening to see how the animals reacted naturally before we made a move on them.

As the evening went on we heard bugle after bugle. We looked at each other and by the look in his eye we both thought the same thought, we were in an elk haven. The evening continued and we saw many cows and a few bulls with those cows in the meadows. However, we heard many more bulls than we could glass. My guess is up until dark we had heard way over 200 bugles coming from our drainage, man was I pumped for the next day! That evening served up one of the coolest sights with the sunset dropping over the hill and all of the bulls carrying on like a broadway symphony.

We cooked ourselves a Mountain House meal while still listening to the bulls talk after dark. After we were done eating we climbed into the tent in hopes of trying to get some sleep for the next day. The plan of sleep didn't really workout because the bulls kept bugling all night long. It was one of the best nights without any sleep that I've ever had. We were more than excited to see what the next day had to bring we just had to wait for the sun to rise.

24-Sep-14

Picture of our camp for the week.

24-Sep-14

We got up about a 1/2 hour before daylight to still having some bulls bugling, but not as many as the night before. The bulls we were hearing were already heading back into the dark timber. After getting our Pop-tarts down quick we loaded up our packs and headed after a couple bulls that sounded like they were bugling together. We moved around the hill to try to cut these bulls off, but they got into what we thought was their bedding area before we could get there. We talked back and forth with them a little bit but they weren't wanting to move. We threw in the flag and circled back around to camp. We decided we would head down to the creek to refill our water supply, and plan to hunt the meadows we saw the bulls and cows in the night before.

We hiked the 850 vertical feet down to the creek and began purifying our water. We ate our lunch at the creek and took a little midday nap to rest back up for the evening hunt.

24-Sep-14
Keep it coming. Sounds like you had a great trip so far.

25-Sep-14
Keep it coming. No elk hunt for me this year. Living vicariously through others.

25-Sep-14
Cool you even had a good creek to bath in and everything... What a lucky spot!

25-Sep-14
coelker- Spots like that provide good drinking water for those downstream ;) Especially when they don't use a filter!

25-Sep-14
Switchback

very cool, keep posting. Want to hear the end of the story.

25-Sep-14
Thanks for sharing,keep it coming!

25-Sep-14
10orbetter- Yep that is my Dad he is 56 as well and I thought he handled the trip great.....He puts in a ton of work by means of running and biking to keep himself at the top of his game year round

25-Sep-14
Very cool ! We want more !

25-Sep-14
After we rested up we hiked back up to the meadows at the edge of the dark timber where we saw a good bit of cows and bulls the night before. Our plan was to both setup a little blind to setup on them coming down through the meadows instead of trying to call to them the first night. We setup our blinds about 150-200 yards apart to increase our odds so that we could cover more of the meadow. Once both of our blinds were setup, we told each other good luck and got settled in for the evening.

Once we got settled in I could see a storm was brewing and it was headed directly our way. This wasn't just going to be a drizzle we were in for a severe thunderstorm. One thing I did notice was the thunder sounded about ten times louder than it did back in WV. As the storm was moving closer I got my top half of my rain suit on trying to keep myself somewhat dry. As the rain started to fall it was an absolute downpour, and not to mention not long after the hail started to come down. At the point I was beginning to feel miserable I happened to look up the hill and a pair of elk legs moving through trees about 150 yards up the hill. This got me excited, popped up to my knees to get ready just in case.

I happened to peak around my tree to the left and I have no clue where came from but 8 cows were coming my way from left to right. I guess it is a lot easier to slip up when you are in a thunderstorm and can't hear a lick. The mix of cows and calves came right through one my perfect openings at a tree I ranged at 30 yards. The next thing I notice is where I first noticed the cows there was a bull following behind them about 100 yards. I didn't have time pull up my binos I just knew he would meet my standards. He came through the exact same path that the cows took. I locked on my bow and got pulled when he went behind the first spruce tree. As soon as head hit the opening I began squeaking him to get him to stop, and he locked up and looked right at me. I settled in and let the arrow fly and the next sound I heard was a thwack!

I knew I had hit him, but in the midst of the downpour I never could see the flight of the arrow. He ran off about 50 yards not having a clue what had happened because the Muzzy tipped Full Metal Jacket had buzzed right through him. I got the binos up on him and could see a bloodspot on his entry side about 3-4 inches below what I thought would've been an ideal shot, but no doubt it was perfectly behind the shoulder. He stood for another couple minutes and then slowly walked off.

25-Sep-14
I am in for this !

25-Sep-14
After watching him walk off I snuck back over to Dad with a big smile on my face. His response was "you shot him didn't you." We were high fiving and I was replaying the whole sequence to him and he told me how he saw the bull heading right towards me at about 90 yards from him. Wouldn't you know it as we sat there talking the rain stopped and sun came back out and so were the blue skies.

We waited for another 30-40 minutes before starting the track. We walked over to the spot the bull was standing and found my arrow. The arrow now looked like I had never shot anything because the rain had washed it all off. We then went over to thicker patch where he stood for a couple minutes and there was huge pile of blood laying there that was frothy and bubbly that was a very encouraging sign(Lungs like I thought from the blood spot). So we began to track him through the meadow where he walked which was fairly easy with the newly soft ground. Every track we would find blood right with it. We continued tracking across the meadow and I was getting pretty nervous after we had went close to 350 yards. By this time it was getting fairly close to dark and we had made it to where he had entered the dark timber.

We had a decision on our hands, do we continue tracking the animal with the chance of jumping him with dark fast approaching. Or do we back out and wait till morning to continue the track. Our rule when hunting whitetails back home is if we are in doubt at all we back out to give the animal time. So this is the choice we made and marked the spot where he entered the timber with the arrow and hike back to camp.

Once we got back to camp we cooked ourselves a Mountain House meal and I kept trying to replay the whole encounter over and over again in my head. I knew that I was not going to get any sleep that night, but we climbed into the tent anyway. It seemed like the night just crept by but I managed maybe an hour or two throughout the night. All that was on my mind was how that bull could lose so much blood and not have went down in the distance we tracked.

26-Sep-14
Your killing me smalls!

26-Sep-14
Some coyotes were probably pretty happy that night. Hope you found him intact.

26-Sep-14
Great story, keep it coming.

26-Sep-14

We got up that morning a little before daylight and loaded up to where we had found last blood. We headed into the timber and the tracking became tough in what almost liked potting soil with no leaves. We made it 100 yards into the timber with some effort of getting down and looking for every drop. He ended up coming up out cross a very small opening and we ended up finding him about another 200 yards on the other side.

I had so many mixed emotions when we found him. I was pumped to had found my first elk, but at the same time I was dejected that coyotes had beat me to him. It absolutely tore me up, I began second guessing our decision from last night. There are a lot of what if's that came in to play for which was the right decision.

I was more than happy to put my tag on this bull. But now our focus shifted to getting Dad his bull. All along I was really hoping Dad would get the first shot at a bull. I planned on putting out my most forth effort for the rest of week for Dad to fill his tag.

26-Sep-14

26-Sep-14

26-Sep-14
Congratulations that's a great bull. Thanks for taking us along.

26-Sep-14
Beautiful country. Nicely done.

26-Sep-14

The next couple days we hunted hard and got close on some bulls in our drainage. We ended up deciding that we would cross over one more drainage and see if we could run into any good bulls.

We cross over to the drainage the next morning and see a huge herd of elk of about 60 head. Through the spotting scope we can make out to see at least 12 bulls, but we were glassing from over a mile away. They were heading back into the dark timber from the meadows down below. We spotted a certain draw that a majority were heading into. Our plan was to get as close to them as we could and try to call one of the bulls in to come over and check us out. We got over and into position and I let out a bugle. Almost immediately I got a response from the meanest sounding bull that I've heard all week. We got him to talk to us for over 30 minutes, but it seemed like he didn't want to budge. We decided that for the evening we would head back down to the meadow and hopefully get a shot as the elk headed back down for the night. Dad got setup and I headed back up to the opposite hill so I glass the hillside so we could have a better idea where they were coming out.

We both got setup for the evening and I got locked in with the binos and spotting scope. At about 6:30 the elk started filing out from all different places. The closest they got to Dad that evening was about 100 yards and he didn't have the opportunity to make a move in the wide open meadow. However, at about 7:15 I glassed up the bull that I had talking to me. He exited the dark timber about 150 yards from where Dad was. He was awesome and he had it all. He was now the only bull we would focus on for the last day and a half that we had left to hunt.

26-Sep-14
Still in !

26-Sep-14
great story so far.I'm pulling for your pops!!!

26-Sep-14
Sounds like the seventh inning stretch. Can't wait for the final two innings!

26-Sep-14
Great Hunt Congrats!

26-Sep-14
Congratulations on your great bull!! Looking forward to the rest of the story!!

28-Sep-14

The next morning we woke up early to take the long way around to try to cut off the elk heading from the meadows back to the timber. We circled around and came in and got setup to where we thought the herd would be coming through. From my Dad's position he could glass down into the meadow. The herd had grew bigger than we thought and it was close to a head of 50 elk now. As they started moving it looked like they were coming right at us. However, as they got closer they angled around the hill and came by us at about 80 yards. With rifle/muzzleloader the big 6x6 would already be dead. They ended up going into the next draw and bedded down for the morning.

Since it was our last day to hunt and we wouldn't be able to hunt that evening we decided to try to pull out all the stops to get this bull down. We climbed up parallel to the draw they were in trying to get as close as we could before calling. The big bull was still bugling frequently which gave us a good pinpoint on his location. We got setup to what was probably 150-200 yards from the bull and began cow calling. As soon as I let out a bugle he responded immediately. It sounded like he was coming closer and then he began bugling like crazy at about 100 yards but we could never see him through the timber because he was right over a point, and it was super thick in there. All in all the big bull wouldn't commit to come the last 100 yards to come check us out. I guess that's what has helped him grow so large on public land. He ended up going back to where we first heard him.

It was very tough saying that we had been defeated by this bull. It felt like if we had a couple more days we could've pulled out a shot opportunity. All in all it was one of the best weeks of my life, and I wouldn't have asked to spend it with anyone else. We loaded up our backs and had to head back to reality. I'm definitely hooked for life on elk hunting now. There is nothing that can compare with an elk screaming back at you. Until next time I'll continue to dream about the beautiful elk country we got to live in for a week.

28-Sep-14

28-Sep-14
Sounds like you had a great experience, one you will never forget. Hope you get to have many more. Thanks for sharing.

28-Sep-14
Congrats on your bull Alex! Great story as well! Can't wait to read next year's story about you & your dad doubling up!

It's also great that you both could share the experience together.

29-Sep-14
Congrats! Great story. Where in WV are you from?

29-Sep-14
Mountain man I'm from the Parkersburg area more specifically Williamstown if you know WV well enough

30-Sep-14
Congrats, nice to see a fellow West Virginian successful on an elk hunt. Sounds like you had a blast.

19-Oct-14

The finished product of my bull. Thought the skull hooker product turned out real well.

19-Oct-14
A wonderful adventure with your dad! I can tell you firsthand that your dad is perfectly happy and prefers that you were the one to get a bull instead of him. You may not realize it but what you guys pulled off is pretty amazing. Memories for a lifetime! Congratulations!!!

19-Oct-14
What a great read man!

Thanks for sharing.

Good luck, Robb

19-Oct-14
Great Story, Congrats to you and your Dad, you guys did very well!

Best of Luck, Jeff

19-Oct-14
Great stuff! Memories for a lifetime! Congrats!

19-Oct-14
Enjoyed your story,congrats to you and your dad.

21-Oct-14
Thanks for all of the kind words guys!! Can't wait to get back out to elk country again! Until then I'll have to stick to chasing whitetails and turkeys around.

27-Oct-14
Great story and thanks for sharing it with the Bowsite nation! Once it's in your blood your hooked for life!!

18-Sep-15

For anyone that was following this story last year, just wanted to give an update of Dad's success this year. We hunted the same area and our hard work and persistence paid off! Couldn't be any happier for my Dad on this great bull!

18-Sep-15

18-Sep-15
I bet hes happy with that one! Congrats to both of you!

18-Sep-15
As would any one! This doesn't happen twice by accident. Congrats once again!

18-Sep-15
NICE!!! Congrats!

18-Sep-15
This is a great story and some super trophies. Thanks for sharing and taking us Bowsiters along with ya'll.

18-Sep-15
Great bull for your dad!! Awesome you are able to share that time with him....

19-Sep-15
Simply priceless...no other way to describe those memories.

19-Sep-15
Congrats to you both!!! Nothing better than that!

Mark

19-Sep-15
Man, I can't believe I missed this thread last year! Great story, and awesome bulls for you and your dad. Too cool. Congrats!

20-Sep-15
I firmly believe 90% of your success is determined before you leave home. Preparation, training, research etc. You are a perfect example.

Congrat's

20-Sep-15
Congrats to you both! God Blessed you both very well!

20-Sep-15
I followed last year and loved it. Congrats to the Ol' Man!!

21-Sep-15
Great bull!

21-Sep-15
Congratulations to you both and thanks for sharing!

>>>>-------->

21-Sep-15
Awesome! Loved following along on years past. Congrats to you and your dad. I'm blessed to still be bale to hunt with my dad and every day we have in the woods becomes more important as he reaches "maturity"! Thanks for the update!

21-Sep-15
Takes drawn in NM two years in a row. Suns like you guys are pretty lucky to start with. Nice Bul.

• Sitka Gear