The Old Sarge 24-Sep-14
beachbowhunter 24-Sep-14
WapitiBob 24-Sep-14
JLS 24-Sep-14
Hoythunter 24-Sep-14
Glunt@work 24-Sep-14
23-Sep-14

Striker@home's Link
Sad to read this again. More judicial legislation from an out-of-touch judge trumping sound science and state rights.

24-Sep-14
Received email glorifying this today from the CBD... Total BS, and can't believe we the people give this much authority to a judge...

24-Sep-14
Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable. The next person I meet that tries to tell me how great these damn things are is going to get left tits up

24-Sep-14
lets hope this idiot judge gets her ruling overturned. montana wants to de-list grizzly now and have a hunt because they are over populated in some areas so we are going to have to go through all of this all over again with the griz.

24-Sep-14
S. S. S.!

24-Sep-14
One sympathetic judge in this country can throw a monkey wrench into everything

24-Sep-14
CHEYENNE - A ruling today by a federal district court judge in Washington, D.C. places gray wolves in Wyoming under federal protection. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department notifies residents and hunters that this suspends the take of gray wolves in Wyoming.

The State of Wyoming anticipates filing a motion to stay this decision this week.

“There are many positives in Judge Jackson’s decision. However, she held that Wyoming’s plan was not sufficiently formalized to support the Fish and Wildlife Service’s 2012 rule allowing limited take of gray wolves. We believe an emergency rule can remedy this, and I have instructed the Wyoming Game and Fish Department and the Attorney General to proceed accordingly,” Governor Matt Mead said.

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department has suspended all sales of gray wolf licenses and will establish a system to refund hunters who have already purchased a 2014 gray wolf license. Hunting in the trophy game area in northwest Wyoming scheduled to begin in October is suspended pending the outcome of the motion for stay. The judge’s decision also impacts year-round hunting in the predator area and landowners protecting livestock and pets.

“The Game and Fish Department believes in our sound management of wolves over the last two years. Today, we want all wolf hunters and landowners to know that the take of wolves in Wyoming – hunting and lethal take provisions in Wyoming statute – are suspended because of the federal court ruling,” said Scott Talbott, WGFD director.

If changes to the status of gray wolf hunting and other lethal take arise, they will be immediately announced by the State of Wyoming.

(Contact: WGFD (307) 777-4600)

-WGFD-

24-Sep-14
The sky is not falling here folks. If you read the suit, you will find that there are not major hurdles to overcome.

In fact, the court upheld Wyomings "predator designation" zone, and also upheld that there was no concern with genetic connnectivity because of the predator zone.

24-Sep-14
Wyoming's still "paying" for the stance they took. Will they "get on board" or will this keep cropping up every few years.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for states rights and sticking to the Constitution. However, you also have to pick your batttles and enter each one with both eyes open. You don't fight battles you cannot win.

Sun Tzu anyone?

24-Sep-14
JLS is right. This is a technical legal issue, not a philosophical ruling. Sounds like Wyoming didn't set up their wolf hunting regs right and can do a quick fix.

24-Sep-14
Hitch your wagon to SFW and BGF, you get on the Cash Cow treadmill. MT and ID are still hunting Wolves and immune to challenge.

24-Sep-14
WapatiBob,

Actually, MT and ID could still be subject to challenge if there were any significant changes to their management plans, or if wolf numbers all of a sudden dropped precipitously.

The delisting decision itself is immune to challenge and cannot be linked to Wyoming's mess.

I'm sure the SFW/BGF fundraiser emails are flying out by the bajillions as we type.

The simple crux of this whole issue is the fact that Wyoming does not have an articulated plan in place to manage at or above 10 breeding pairs/100 wolves, as well as a response to a situation if numbers were to fall below that.

24-Sep-14
I was just posting this same topic. Unbelievable that they can do this.

24-Sep-14
I've read Wyomings plan and their addendum to address population. Its pretty straight forward. They set license quotas with a target population in the wolf recovery area above the minimum required so they have a buffer in case of a high mortality year. They also don't include the wolves inside Yellowstone (2 million acres) in their population target so that is another 10 packs that primarily live in the park. In the event the population did drop below federal minimums, they get relisted and Wyoming loses management control.

The other side simply doesn't like the "predator" status in the rest of the State where they can be taken year round without a specific tag and of course many oppose any management through hunting.

I think an unbiased reader would have a hard time looking at their plan and finding issue with it. Its one of the rare times something from a government agency is straight forward and based in common sense.

• Sitka Gear