Bill VanderLaan 26-Sep-14
8point 26-Sep-14
otcWill 26-Sep-14
LINK 26-Sep-14
Bill VanderLaan 26-Sep-14
FLGator 26-Sep-14
flybyjohn 08-Oct-14
25-Sep-14
I need some help. The neighbor kid has asked me to take him bowhunting for elk. Since this is on my bucket list, I like to do what I can to promote yute hunting and the kid a good egg, I told him that I would "look into it". I have read a slew of threads on this forum and I have a lot of questions. I would appreciate some insight from all of you with elk hunting experience.

I have never hunted elk (or anything west of North Dakota for that matter). I am thinking that since we are newbs and flatlanders, we should try for any elk in a SW Colorado OTC unit. My thought is to backpack/bivy hunt to minimize travel and maximize the experience. I know that I need to get a bunch of gear, get in shape and practice shooting so if you have any suggestions or recommendations to that end, I would appreciate it. I know that there is a lot to cover and my questions are extremely general, but I am not sure where to start. I am sure that I will have more questions as next September approaches. Guess I want to start a discussion and pick your brains.

Thanks.

25-Sep-14
I would start putting in for some of the draws. NM is completely random and you have a chance at hunting in 2015. I believe in utah you will have a chance albeit small to hunt in 2015. The deadlines to apply are from Jan-April depending on state. In the meantime I would try to figure out where your going OTC when you don't draw. I haven't hunted CO, WY,MT but from what I have heard I would look into Wyoming general unit or Montana OTC.

25-Sep-14
I don't know anything about SW Colorado, but unless you are an experienced backpacker I am not sure I would do a bivy hunt right out of the gate. Yes, you can get away from people, but if you pick a spot that isn't or doesn't hold elk, then you have invested additional time and effort.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with road camping it and hunting different drainages. Backpack/bivy hunting has really been the en vogue thing the last 6-7 years, and oftentimes isn't really necessary.

I'm not trying to discourage you, because I prefer to backpack a camp in and hunt out it versus road camping. However, I'm doing it because the hunting area is more tailored to that style. But, if you want to do it just to do it, then go for it. It certainly is a fun experience.

25-Sep-14
I would start first by being honest about a back pack hunt. It is hard. It takes hunting elk to a whole new level. It also means a ton more work once you actually kill an elk. I would suggest looking for an area where you can camp on the side of the road and use your vehicle to access a couple different areas. As mentioned you spend all your time and effort trying to find the perfect spot on Google earth and show up to hunt and not find an elk. Hunting from the truck, a guy can get up real early and hike 3 hours in the dark or can sleep in and hunt closer. Hiking 3 hours in the dark can get you a long ways in, etc. Also be real about what this can do... Sorry but I am fat and in my mid 30s and most kids in great shape do not have the stamina to hike and pack big mountains all day long. Even as a kid hunting and playing football, competing in bike races, etc. I could not hunt like I can now. While being in shape is great, there is something different about being in mountain/back pack shape. Can the kid carry a 60 pound pack 5 miles at 8000 ft elevation? Also note that altitude sickness could be an issue for one or both of you. It would be better to get sick at the truck then 6 miles in...

It also will allow you a mid week break to eat something other than mountain house etc.

As far as units, etc. I am not familiar at all with the South part of the state but can help you out on the north 1/2. I can tell you that the units that are more remote and further removed from highways like I-70 will generally have less pressure.

25-Sep-14
Draw a good tag. Really. When you do elk hunting gets a LOT easier. A great tag will show you more trophy elk in a week then a great hunter in an OTC area will see in years.

Be in great shape and learn to call. Cover ground. Elk are nothing like whitetails. Nothing. Hunting is completely different and they are a lot easier to approach, call etc, once you find them.

Good luck it is an amazing experience.

25-Sep-14
Had some newbies bring a bull into the meat shop this year. They had no experience, only an inkling of an idea what they were doing, and no clue where to go. They decided to drive into the hills and get out and start hiking either when they saw a spot they thought looked good or 4:30, which ever came first. They stopped at 4:30, started hiking in a fairly unlikely spot, heard a bull bugle, cow called a few times, moved further up, and ended up shooting the bull on the very first hunt.

I think we all tend to over-complicate the process of elk hunting. My advice is to pick a spot, have fun, enjoy the scenery, learn the area, and don't take yourself or the hunt too seriously.

25-Sep-14
buy a point in wy before sept ends.Draw Wy general tags next year and I will help you both with an easy roadside hunt with terrain that won't kill you either.If you do Colorado, look online at each units success rates to determine a good otc unit.Study maps on google earth while you BOTH workout at least on treadmills.I would do 7-8 miles at fast walk and max incline before working my contracting job each morning.this will build your leg strength up and you WILL need at least that Another good option for you two would be a Montana tag.Alot of elk and I found them to be much bigger then the average Co bull in otc areas

25-Sep-14

Mule Power's Link
Couldn't resist! lmfao

25-Sep-14
Thanks guys. This is what I am looking for - a direction to start. Keep it coming.

26-Sep-14
I know what REX is saying.... and he has a valid point.

But for every person that stumbles into their first elk there are 5 that never hear or see one the whole hunt.

Homework. Study. Perpetration.

Lots of elk killed from road camps. But then there a tons of road camps as well.

You may not need to pack in (a true "bivy" hunt is a ball buster.... I'll say that right now) but I would be prepared to pack in a spike camp if needed, at least a ways.

There will be elk study and homework as to where (and when) to go. And there will be gear homework for what you were planning IMO. Two separate studies and info found at many places....

Enjoy the journey.... =D

26-Sep-14
Start by taking him turkey hunting on some large tracts of public land where you can get in deep and test the waters. It will be very close to exactly the same thing but you will probably have to carry more gear turkey hunting . Mark twain in Missouri would be great. Hunting tactics are basically the same..same type hunting without the altitude or heavy pack out. Great training for cheap.

26-Sep-14
Utah has unlimited OTC Spike/Cow tags. Many people don't know this or take advantage of this opportunity. You may also consider having an experienced elk hunter help you so you and the young man stay safe! Good luck! C

26-Sep-14
Maybe TBM will take you turkey hunting. Since its the same why bother packing out an elk.

26-Sep-14
My though was to hunt cow-spike-OTC units and accumulate points. Basically learn the game and then use the points for a good unit and stick amonster. :-) I suppose I should clarify that ''the kid'' is 17 and a corn-fed farmboy. With respect to getting up and down the mountain, I am sure that I will be the weak link in the chain.

COElker -I would appreciate any advice that you may have on a worthwhile unit. I am not wed to SW CO. I just read where the SW population is decent and the terrain is not brutal for backpacking.

TD- I agree with the need to prepare. Any suggestions or links for reading materials that would help speed me along in the process would be greatly appreciated.

All I got for now. I am sure I will have questions later.

26-Sep-14
Identifying your idea of success would be he first thing I would suggest. If you need to kill a bull, you have a steep uphill climb. To just kill an elk would better our chances. If you can just enjoy the experience, and learn enough to better your chances for the following your, your chances are pretty good. I've played hell with whitetails, so I'm not new to hunting but elk are different. I've been going to Colorado since 2005, and though I've had bulls in close, I've never loosed an arrow at one. The best I've done so far is a cow, but I wouldn't trade any of those years just because of the opportunity to out there amongst them.

26-Sep-14
Good thing you're doing taking the kid. I'll return the favor and help y'all out. I'm just getting back from the mountains but pm me and I'll set ya up.

26-Sep-14
I'd like to meet Will he seams like a stand up fellow!

26-Sep-14
8point - I guess I would be happy with seeing elk and getting an opportunity - on any elk, be it a spike, cow or bull. I realize that I have a lot to learn and experience is a great teacher, but I do not want to go in blind and end up wandring around the woods for ten days. Hence my post here.

OtcWill - That is a generous offer. I appreciate it. PM on the way.

26-Sep-14
Research areas like crazy and determine what you're looking for. Lots of great otc opportunities in many states. I drew a bull tag in AZ my first year with no bonus points. So, if you're interested in limited draw areas, apply as you never know what can happen. I also recommend you learn about elk and how to hunt them . Read everything written here by bigdan and elknut. Buy elknuts playbook and his dvds. Get in shape. Go do it!!!

08-Oct-14
I don't know what non resident tags cost in MT as I am a resident, but if Montana is on your list, I know there are many opertunities to camp on the road and walk into areas that elk are sometimes only 1/2 - 1 mile from the road. This is much easier and you will be able to hunt the morning and if you don't find sign, move on to another spot. In MT in most areas, you can shoot a cow or browtine bull in archery season. In the special draw units, you can shoot a cow or spike with an otc tag during archery season. With these rules, it does not limit you to certain areas.

Walking in every morning is nice because you usually get a little better sleep. I sometimes however pack my hammock and sleeping bag in and stay a few nights. This saves me a mile walk in in the morning and I can just wake up and hunt. I alway use a cold camp and do not have a fire to mess with. If staying up in the hills, I usually get to bed by 8:00 pm and sleep until 6:00 am that gives me alot of sleep, however it isn't alway quality sleep. Critters alway seem to wake you throughout the night. I woke to a big skunk this year.

• Sitka Gear