Ylpmin 26-Sep-14
flybyjohn 26-Sep-14
Jimbo 26-Sep-14
AndyJ 26-Sep-14
Sage of the Sage2 26-Sep-14
JLS 26-Sep-14
stealthycat 26-Sep-14
25-Sep-14
It's been 3 years since I've connected on an elk. I seem to have developed this jinx or something, I always somehow manage to zig when I should have zagged, draw too early or too late, the bull comes in to my right instead of my left, or whatever. I could write a book on all the close encounters that could have been success stories if only one little thing had been different in the last few seasons, 3 in just the past week. It's getting very frustrating.

I'm starting to think maybe I should fish more.

25-Sep-14
That's up to you. I hardly ever fish any more. Get er done! Everyday afield brings you closer. Let it go and it'll happen! C

25-Sep-14
That's hunting,enjoy the fact that you succeeded at getting so close. Eventually the odds will work in your favor,don't give up!

25-Sep-14
Great advice right above!

I just started hunting elk, 0 for 1, heck it ain't easy, but I will never give up, it's too much fun!

25-Sep-14
3 years? No biggie. Blown set-ups are part of elk hunting. Its actually what makes it so fun. I have had so many screw ups on elk that I have had to forget some just to make room for some new ones.

The reward part of taking an animal is built on the challenge, risk and effort that comes before it. The harder it is, the bigger the reward. Keep after it and realize how fortunate we are to be able to chase these majestic critters around with a bow. Getting one is the whip cream and cherry on top of the milkshake. Milkshakes are great even without the topping.

If the frustration finally wins, I seriously suggest something other than fishing. Go with birdwatching. I mean, its pretty hard to hike around anywhere for an hour and not see a bird :^)

25-Sep-14
If it was easy, you'd have no sense of accomplishment or satisfaction.

25-Sep-14
I tell myself that every time out, Idacurt. I don't know if I need to sacrifice my firstborn or something, but I have certainly come to understand why so many superstitions and whole religious systems have developed around hunting in cultures that rely on it.

I still seem to be pretty hard on deer, but elk are killing me lately.

25-Sep-14
Sage its like the young couple trying to get knocked up!

Quit thinking about it, quit stressing about it, and just enjoy it for what it is!!!!

it's a hunt not a kill....

25-Sep-14
Hate to say this but I am 0-8 and have booked my final hunt for elk next year. Can't wait. Keep at it.

25-Sep-14
Wait till you kill one..... then you might want to take up fishing.... there is some truth to "nothing ruins a good elk hunt like killing an elk".

I know ya said you've taken elk before but after three years but the pain may not be as fresh in your memory.... =D

It'll happen. A good deal of our bowhunting revolves around putting yourself in a position to have an opportunity if things turn your way and the planets align.

Keep putting yourself in position like it sounds you have been and it will happen.

25-Sep-14

Norseman's Link
http://youtu.be/YY8APrYU2Gs

25-Sep-14
0 for 9. Some years are more frustrating than others. This year was good - had a bull 15 yards away that I didn't see until it was too late. That got me charged for next year....

The previous two years, however? Nothing. Quiet as a morgue, no sign. 5 days of silence each time.

I've still never heard bugling when hunting. Often wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if they're just shy in my areas.

The bad years I have to remind myself that I'm not at work, and I'm in the open air, and thank God I don't have to hunt to survive. :)

25-Sep-14
Very inspiring, Norseman!

25-Sep-14
I think this is a legitimate statement and I think that we should evaluate our success or lack there of and determine what is success.

I like quality animals and that is my most important measure of success but I will say that I measure success more on effort put in than the actual killing of an animal.

I have seen Kelly's post on his annual hunt at his camp and I know he enjoys the bounty with friends and family and probably equates his enjoyment on their enjoyment.

I plan my hunt and refine tactics to meet the desired level of success that I have defined.

Last year was had really difficult conditions on my annual Ohio migration which equated to a lack of success. I could have blamed the worst acorn crop in 41 years in the area that I hunt as the reason for lack of success but I cannot the acorn crop. So I focused on what I could control.

I am committed to be in better shape especially to strengthen my shoulder this year.

I went and acquired and additional 109 acres of private land two weeks ago and scouted the areas that I hunt both public and private.

The other thing that I constantly do is ask why I was successful not so much on why I was unsuccessful. On one hunt I switched from a grunt to a snort wheeze in which turned the buck I shot around to come in at 18 yards.

One year elk hunting it was extremely hot and the elk were not moving at all in the day. I switched to a turkey hunting technique and sat at one location calling off and on for four hours and a 6x6 finally decided to close the deal.

One year it was sneaking up on the elk while he was bugling and another it was being aggressive and making a bull mad by getting into his comfort zone. Oh by the way, this has worked on more than one occasion,

Last year in Montana based on the time period and lack of daytime activity I should have focused more on hunting the dark timber and using more time sitting on stands closer to bedding areas.

To be consistent year in and year you have to be adaptable with the constant changing conditions and all of us are not gurus like Big Dan.

Sometimes we get lazy and we start going through the motions so always do an azimuth check to ensure that your effort in all areas align with your goals.

Good luck and stay focused!

25-Sep-14
If it were easy, everyone would be doing. The harder you work, the sweeter it is when you achieve success.

25-Sep-14

elkmtngear's Link
Hang in there, Sage. I finally broke the 3 year jinx this Season (see link)

It certainly doesn't get any easier as I get older...I have to train all year now. But I refused to give up!

Best of Luck, Jeff

25-Sep-14
What kind of fishing are you contemplating ?

25-Sep-14
Get out there and kill one. I was on my third trip this year and struggling. I called a friend and told him I wasn't much of an elk hunter. He told me that nothing in the game of elk hunting is less important than the score at halftime. I went back out, kept trying and got my first elk.

Any time you are out there your giving yourself a chance. When it all comes together for you, and it will, it is worth all the sore muscles, blisters and miles. Good luck!

25-Sep-14
I feel like this from time to time about certain hunts. I realize my error when I stop feeling sorry for myself and recognize the blessings I've been given. You can choose to keep playing the "why me" or you can learn from the many opportunity's you've failed to connect on. It's like all of life. It is good or bad depending on your expectations and the way you perceive the things you encounter. God Bless

25-Sep-14
I know a guy that's 0 for 21! Does that make you feel any better?

Think about it though.. you have been into elk so it's just a matter of time. Do you realize how many guys go on "elkless elk hunts" every year? Count your blessings and keep enjoying all of the other aspects of elk hunting. it'll happen. Just think of how happy you'll be when it does and what a huge accomplishment it will be. I'd rather kill one good bull than a half dozen decent whitetails!

The best things in life are worth waiting for. I think an elk hunter coined that saying. :-)

26-Sep-14
Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. If you could evaluate what is going wrong and make adjustments success would likely come easier. I know one of the main things I was consistently doing wrong was having elk see me before I saw them. The next time I go I am going to make it a point to either look more like an elk or be able to produce something that looks like an elk at a moment's notice. The big elk o called in and shot saw me first, but my face was painted up dark and I think he thought I was an elk. I bugled at him and waived a horn(stick)and he came straight in.

26-Sep-14
Very funny Norseman! Lots of great advice

26-Sep-14
Bowhunting whitetails inPA and MO are quite different from hunting elk in the mountains, I'm sure. One thing not different is that a million mistakes can be made. The last few years I have messed up on some nice deer. While I was bummed on the outcomes, each and everytime I learned a valuble lesson that has helped me grow as a hunter. Learn from the mistakes and stay after them. It will happen.

26-Sep-14
lol...you're a beginner...my bear jinx is 20 years old....

26-Sep-14
In my experience I'd say the wind is what ends the stalk/calling most times,even when you try to move in or set up when the thermals are in your favor there always seems to be that brief little wind that hits the back of your neck and the game ends. Make sure the wind is right before moving in or setting up on any Elk!

26-Sep-14
I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. But it sounds like you are doing the right things it is just a matter of odds. Elk have more of a random method when they move. Often there is a trail just to the side of where they walked but they chose the heavy timber. This is why they are so hard to accurately setup on. You just have to keep getting yourself close to the elk and eventually you will get a shot. What you describe just sounds like elk hunting to me.

I totally agree with TBM, you NEED to see the elk first. I took three total newbies elk hunting this year and that was the advice I found myself giving the most.

However, if you decide to start fishing...there's nothing wrong with that! I love fishing. My fly rod never leaves my truck.

Froz3nArcher- You need to find a new spot. It is a rare day in the woods that I'm not hearing at least one bugle. Your success may dramatically improve if you change areas.

26-Sep-14
Get a process together so it happens automatically. When you apply that process during the whole hunt it will make taking advantage of the window of opportunity a lot easier. Don't setup where the elk can study you. Setup where you can see no more than 40-50 yards. By the time the elk can see you he is within bow range. Get good at masking your draw. Practice drawing where your draw is nice and smooth and you are not raising or dropping the bow in order to draw it. When you start getting successful then adapt the process to each hunting situation. Be ready when you call cause sometimes they are on you quicker than you can get ready. I never call when out in the open. I am always beside a tree or in cover. If your hunting by yourself you will need to make changes in your location to cut the elk off as he is making a move downwind of where the calling is coming from. Come up with a few tricks that will help you complete the allusion. Get a decoy or a hat that you can "flash" the elk to put him at ease and take the focus off you. Once you break the ice it will give you confidence in your process and that will make all the difference in the world.

26-Sep-14
Keep at it and don't be afraid to try different things and different places. It always seams to work well for me.

26-Sep-14
Bowhunting is hard.

Half of the battle is just getting yourself in a spot where you have an opportunity for a good shot at an animal you'd like to put your tag on. The other half is actually pulling off the shot.

Many hunters aren't even able to get themselves in the spot where they even have an opportunity. You don't have that problem. Don't lose sleep over it... just keep working hard and stay after 'em... you'll close the deal soon enough.

26-Sep-14
A good friend of mine once said,"Going hunting with a bow is a pretty good excuse for coming home empty handed". Just llike Jimbo said, bowhunting is HARD!

26-Sep-14
One of the frustrating things is that it seems I'm actually doing a lot of things right. I get opportunities, but for one reason or another they just don't pan out. I'm sticking with it, but I'd just come back from a 5-day pack trip with 3 really good chances blown. The only one I really could have shot was a spike at 30 yards, but of course, that's illegal.

26-Sep-14
Hang in there. Sometimes it just works out that way.

I had the same results last season. I missed a chip shot early, then after that I couldn't buy a break to save my life. Shifting winds, one branch in the way, you name it. Crap happens.

Things could be worse, you could be at work!

26-Sep-14
encouragement = you've got to hunt/chase elk for 3 years, some of us have not elk hunting ever, some of us only once, some of us not in 10 years, some of us will never get to hunt elk again

enjoy the thrill of life/hunt/chase

I know tagging is important, realizing it isn't is more important

• Sitka Gear