dapper 25-Sep-14
TD 25-Sep-14
DonVathome 25-Sep-14
Ermine 25-Sep-14
Norseman 25-Sep-14
REX 25-Sep-14
txhunter58 25-Sep-14
25-Sep-14
So I've sat at wallows, down wind, at every possible time of day and I have never a single time seen an elk come to a wallow. I've seen bears move into the area, but no elk. Obviously elk do wallow, but when?!?!?

Actually I take back what I said in the first sentence. The only time I haven't sat in vigil at a wallow is first thing in the morning because I'm generally chasing buglers around at that time. Maybe I should try that?

Some of you wallow hunters, what is your experience with this?

25-Sep-14
I've had the same luck. I've sat in a treestand for several days on them. Found a muddy bull coming out of another one and waited on that one with zero results.

25-Sep-14
Mountain wallows are challenging, factor in;

they don't use them everyday

Elk don't always bed in the same areas and mostly rotate through country lessening the ability to pattern them on an every day basis

Wind currents in the mountains- some good wallows are impossible to sit due to swirling, switching and unreliable wind currents

Weather changes

Too many wallow options

Did they find a hot cow and move to another drainage?

So many possible reasons for them to change behavior...but the right one at the right time still works!

25-Sep-14
early in the season, late august and early september sitting wallows/water holes has been productive for us. We (my dad and I) prefer water holes over a wallow however and often times they can be one in the same, or one of each in close proximity. But from about the 14th of september on, our game cameras show much less frequent use. As for time of day, it can be any time of day according to our cameras. Just my observations.

25-Sep-14
I have had them come in at various times of the day early, late and mid-day. Only one I shot on a wallow was early morning, actually I was passing by it and just checking to see how much use it had when one bugled close by so I climbed into my stand and shot him when he came in.

25-Sep-14
The first time I seen elk come to a wallow was this year. Two bulls about an hour apart in the evening. The date was Sept 11.. Sat it the next night, nothing. Seen more at ponds provided they were the only water source nearby.

Good Luck Dan

25-Sep-14
Oh.... "enigma"..... sorry, never mind....

25-Sep-14
I also have had little luck, night wallows or low use wallows. FYI the theory dirty water = recently used is not true. I have tested it many times, surface muddy (no clear layer at all) might be. Flow of water through wallow also confuses it.

I often stop at one and splash and spike squeal. Still expect it to work one day. So far 0 for 50.

Set trail cams, sit only when it is HOT, important.

I think wallows in thick areas (where elk feel safe) are better - closer to bedding area helps a lot (higher on mountain).

I know guys who have done well and I see muddy bulls often. Go figure.

25-Sep-14
Elk can use them anytime of the day. Might only use them if the herd is nearby. Might use them only at night. Etc

25-Sep-14
the Wallow Parodox

25-Sep-14
Oh So many variables...

Put up a camera and see when they are hitting it. We finally got smart and started using cameras this year. Most of our wallows are used so randomly that it doesn't pay to sit much at them. With some others, it's like clockwork...

25-Sep-14
A good waterhole is probably more productive, especially as the season progresses. I have heard they are better the last week of August, first 1-2 weeks of September, but as I usually go later in September, I have had the same luck. But a true water hole for drinking, yes, cows and bulls come in late Sept.

That said, a bunch of hunters running around in the woods with change up their wallowing/drinking times/patterns

• Sitka Gear