Rocking R 30-Sep-14
Duke 30-Sep-14
Hoot 30-Sep-14
Charlie Rehor 30-Sep-14
Straight Shooter 30-Sep-14
fawn 30-Sep-14
cityhunter 30-Sep-14
25-Sep-14
I'll start by explaining my quick hunt, and then I will talk about my experience/review of the outfitter...

45 minutes into the first morning, we were set up on our second bull of the morning. After a little coaxing they were barreling down the mountain at us, FAST. First a cow, she made it to 10 yards and then bounced but she didn't go far. Then came a spike and the same thing happened, then the bull. As soon as I saw antlers, I drew. He must have caught a little movement as I finished my draw cycle and he stopped at 20 yards head on. I don't have the guts to take a frontal shot so I waited. It seemed like hours, but a few seconds later he wheeled and I stopped him broadside at 30 yards...

CRACK! He wheeled and started straight uphill. When he was turning away from me, I saw my arrow sticking out of his shoulder with not much penetration at all, and my guide said he thought it sounded like I hit a tree and not an elk. Not good...

We found my arrow, it snapped off about 5'' plus the slick trick and had almost no blood on the shaft. We gave him some time and then followed VERY little blood for about 300-400 yards. We found where he laid down, again VERY small amount of blood in the bed, and a few steps out of his bed there was no more blood to be found...

I am 99% sure it was a non fatal hit to the shoulder, and the bull will live. While it would have been perfectly legal for me to stay and keep hunting, I opted to notch my tag. I know I am not the first to hit and lose an animal, but I felt terrible, and I was a little embarrassed, so I packed my bags and headed home with my tail tucked between my legs...

25-Sep-14
Although I was only there for about 24 hours I will say this about Rocking R....

The ranch is beautiful! The lodge was nice, with all the comfort you would expect at a mountain cabin. The staff was friendly and professional. We had awesome steaks for dinner, a good hot breakfast, and I am sure the remaining meals were going to be top notch as well. I could tell that the guides were all good hunters, bowhunters, and not just some ranch cowboys that put on a camo shirt...

As far as the elk go, this ranch is in an OTC area, and it is Colorado, so the age class of bulls is low, but it was much higher on the ranch than I was expecting. I saw a few good bulls in my spotter, and one that would have gone 310-320. Score is not important to me, so I was pleased that there were more than a few mature bulls roaming the ranch. The elk density was impressive though, I saw a TON of elk and heard plenty of vocal elk while I was there...

All in all, I would rate Rocking R as a first class operation, Dan is a stand up guy, and I think he will continue building a successful outfit. If you are looking for a fun hunt with an opportunity to chase average bulls and see a lot of elk, I would highly recommend this hunt. I am mostly a DIY hunter, and this was my first guided big game hunt, but I will probably book with Dan again in the future...

There were a few other bowsiters in camp, and it was great to meet them, I hope they have/had a wonderful time and I wish them all the best of luck, can't wait to hear how the rest of the week went...

Cheers...

25-Sep-14
No need for embarrassment, it happens to all of us occasionally.

25-Sep-14
sureshot X2

Don't beat yourself up too much.

25-Sep-14
Im kinda confused why u stopped hunting though after only 24 hrs? Did u recover the elk?

25-Sep-14
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Been there and done that on a shoulder hit. I value your decision to quit hunting, but could you not have stayed and tried to hunt only the wounded bull over the next several days? This gives you a chance to enjoy the mountains, hear the elk, enjoy the food and company. What a story it would be to actually harvest the same bull later in the hunt.

25-Sep-14
Tough break on the shot, but I think I would have stayed to hunt that bull a little longer, especially if you were enjoying the location and company!

25-Sep-14
Glad you had a good experience and sorry you did not get your bull. I respect your decision!

I am sure others will have opinions on what they would do but the only thing that matters is what's right for you! C

25-Sep-14
Also a bit confused on why you left rather than at least looking for that bull.

If you were done hunting, why did you have to leave the mountains?

Was it camp policy that if you hit one, you were done?

25-Sep-14
I could have stayed and hunted for only that bull, true...

There were six other bowhunters in camp, and I didn't want to interfere with their respective hunts...

If I had an inkling of a thought that my bull was severely hurt, I would have stayed and looked for him/birds etc. as long as I possibly could. I honestly believe that bull will be ok based on what I saw...

I made the decision that I thought was best, I will second guess my equipment and my shot and my fitness and everything else that goes along with archery elk hunting for the next 330+ days, but I won't second guess my decision to leave, I believe firmly that I did the right thing...

25-Sep-14
Don't beat yourself up too much.I quit hunting elk for 9 years after I hit a bull that I thought I should have gotten 1990 I started hunting them again,and killed 4 in a row.I have lived in Arizona all my life,if I could only have those 9 years back!!!!!!

25-Sep-14
Hoot, you did what you felt was right n I respect that--- a shoulder shot is a tough shot to bring an elk down especially if it's in the thick bone part of the shoulder---where in the shoulder was the arrow contact? just wondering what your bow set up is, arrow weight n bhead--gluc on your future hunts

25-Sep-14
Tough luck, we have all been there. Next year!

25-Sep-14
Wow' an expensive 24 hours. I respect your decision to quit hunting but I think you could have looked around some more for the bull. If there was blood in his bed maybe waiting longer would have helped, not sure but to give up after a day is a little short. What was the outfitters ruling on a hit and not recovered animal? Wish you better luck next year.

26-Sep-14
I hit mine in the shoulder blade and shot slam through him. I been telling y'all about the Simmons for a year now so there is no excuse. Poor choices in equipment are costing bowhunters more game than poor choices at the time of the shot(that was my downfall). The good thing is your bull probably did not die, but if you had been shooting a Simmons the shoulder blade would not have been a problem.

26-Sep-14
That's the kinda BS you read for ---- like TBM!

There is no such thing as a broad head that' never lost an animal! Not even your magical Simmons. I would be willing to bet that the Slick Trick head has taken as many or maybe more game than the Simmons.

26-Sep-14
TBM - nothing wrong with your BH, but aren't you also pulling damn near 80 lbs and a 600gr arrow? A BH that will hold it together on bone, very important, you got that. But I believe it was your high draw weight and extra heavy arrow that contributed to your success the most. A Simmons could be a very poor choice for the OP, based on his setup. We just don't know. I believe you were damn near loaded for Elephant with your setup.

30-Sep-14
There's a HUGE difference between "shoulder" and "shoulder blade"

30-Sep-14
Hello Everyone. I would like to clarify a few things.

First off, Tom is welcome back any time. He is a great guy and we enjoyed the short time we had with him.

Second, when I arrived back to the lodge after a morning of hunting, Tom's bags were already packed and he was ready to leave. In fact, he was waiting for me to come back. His mind was made up to leave. I did not even have a chance to discuss the situation. He felt strongly about his decision and, of course, we honored that.

Last, he was encouraged to stay and take advantage of the vacation time. Again, we could not talk him into staying.

I hope that answers a few questions.

I appreciate his honest opinion on an open forum and look forward to possibly hunting with him again.

Thanks guys.

30-Sep-14
Hoot- You certainly seem like a good guy and a hunter who I'd like to share a camp with. Thanks for the post and thanks for adding in, Rocking R. +++Good stuff.

30-Sep-14
Thanks everyone...

I'll add that everyone including the elk did their job. I was the only one that failed when I made a poor shot on what should have been a slam dunk. I'm pulling 68lbs and pushing a 476 grain arrow so I should not have had trouble killing the elk had I placed the arrow where it needed to be.

Wounding the bull had only a small percentage in my overall decision to leave. my brother was just diagnosed with a pretty serious medical condition, so after my poor shot, I elected to head home to help support him while he and his doctors were figuring out a treatment plan. Normally I keep that sort of thing private but I didn't want my decision to leave to negatively reflect upon Rocking R. I am fully confident that had I stayed, Dan and his team would have done everything in their power to help me hunt that bull. I remain optimistic that someday down the road, one of Dan's hunters will harvest the bull and we will know for sure what happened...

30-Sep-14
Hoot: You are a good man and I hope they figure out something good for your brother! I have made my share of bad shots and truth be known yours was likely better than mine! Rock On and I'll say a prayer for "brother"!! C

30-Sep-14
Hoot- sorry to hear you didn't get your elk, but it seems you had a pretty jam packed 24 hours. Your set up is plenty for elk, no broadhead should have to make up for poor shot placement (shoulder). The "Simmons" head included! Get em next time.

DJ

30-Sep-14
You did what was right for you, Hoot.

TBM, like someone pointed out, there is a big difference between "shoulder" and "shoulder blade" and there is NO broadhead that is 100% kill/shot. I have seen/heard what Hoot stated and was actually able to watch the animal for several hours. The shot? It hit the humerus, that huge round bone that connects to the shoulder blade. Even at 10 yards, 65#, 2413's and a solid steel head, it just pretty much bounced right off! BTW, after watching that elk for several hours, it finally got off and strolled away with the rest of the herd, not even a limp.

30-Sep-14
Hoot I will say a prayer for your brother!!!

• Sitka Gear