oldgoat 26-Sep-14
CAS_HNTR 26-Sep-14
Quinn @work 26-Sep-14
Screwball 26-Sep-14
TD 26-Sep-14
SlipShot 29-Sep-14
Charlie Rehor 29-Sep-14
26-Sep-14
Can someone explain to me why some years Oak Brush produce acorns and other years they don’t? What are the factors that contribute to the production of acorns?

The reason I ask is that where I hunt over the last two years the Oak Brush have had no acorn production. Usually we find the elk in the oak brush, but not the last two years. My hunting partner that has been hunting this area for 25 + years and can only remember only a hand full of times were the Oak brush did not produce acorns. He can’t remember ever having two consecutive years.

26-Sep-14
They had them where I was hunting but there wasn't really enough to make a difference in my mind. I'm sure it has something to do with freezes killing blooms like on other nut trees but that's a guess.

26-Sep-14
Weather has a lot to do with it.....oaks are wind pollinating so if it is a wet spring, the acorns will often not be very abundant due to the rain washing pollen to the ground and not allowing it to be blown to the other trees.

A lot of other variables as well, but some of it is also genetic....certain trees just put the nuts every year and in huge quantities and others just don’t.

26-Sep-14
Certain years are better than others where we hunt. Lots of acorns means lots of bears/elk. Poor acorn crop means little to no bears/elk.

Here are some reason's I found online.

1) Acorn production dramatically decreases when oaks reach a certain age and/or a certain diameter.

2) Some oak trees are genetically poor producers of acorns – absolutely nothing you can do.

3) If your oak is in the red oak family, then you can typically expect heavier acorn crops every 3-5 years.

4) If your oak is in the white oak family, then you can typically expect heavier acorn crops every 4-7 years.

5) Environmental conditions, such as heavy spring rains, growing season flood events, drought, and unusually high/low temperatures, can cause poor acorn pollination, acorn crop abortion, and complete acorn crop failures.

6) Early season frosts can severely damage oak flowers resulting in poor pollination success.

7) Pests or pathogens, confounded by weather-related phenomena, may also be responsible.

26-Sep-14
Quinn @ Work, great information I have not heard before on oaks. We manage and log our 700 acres in Wisconsin. At what age or size does Oak stop producing acorns? Had not heard that?

26-Sep-14
Scrub oaks did nothing in the N CA Cascades this year. Manzanita berries either. Nothing. Everyone we talked to called it on the severe drought.

Never saw a bear on the hunt, very rare. But as Quinn said, no food, no bears. All pretty much the same story from others we talked to coming out, usually lots of bears.... nobody saw a one.

No matter, forest fires ran us out in a day and half anyway.... so much so we packed back out at night rather than risk it for the next morning. Ash falling on us all the way out. Pretty hike though....

29-Sep-14
Quinn @ work, Thanks from what you wrote I would guess it was a late freeze

29-Sep-14
The elk in SW Colorado were pounding the scrub oak leaves and acorns. Banner year there for sure. Guess it depends on the area. C

• Sitka Gear