Sitka Gear
Anyone else suffer from fake bugle-itus?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
coonazz 26-Sep-14
Woodsman416 26-Sep-14
SlipShot 26-Sep-14
Coyote 65 26-Sep-14
LINK 26-Sep-14
808bowhunter 26-Sep-14
Norseman 26-Sep-14
Glunt@work 26-Sep-14
BowCrossSkin 26-Sep-14
wifishkiller 26-Sep-14
Sage Buffalo 26-Sep-14
TD 26-Sep-14
drycreek 26-Sep-14
Grunt-N-Gobble 26-Sep-14
midwest 26-Sep-14
Bou'bound 26-Sep-14
oldgoat 26-Sep-14
TD 26-Sep-14
Leadspreader 27-Sep-14
Surfbow 28-Sep-14
HockeyDad 28-Sep-14
Surfbow 29-Sep-14
twojump 29-Sep-14
gogittem 29-Sep-14
26-Sep-14
I've been hunting elk (archery) for a number of years and I always feel like I have some sort weird sickness when I get in the mountains.

I hear faint bugles all the time, that I don't think are real bugles at all. I even hear them in my sleep and I'm not sure if I'm dreaming or if they are real.

Of course - I was joking with my buddies that those faint bugles are from slain elk of the past, but they all tell me they hear the same thing too and they can't tell if they're real either.

Anyone else? Or do you think this is a contact high from recent Colorado legislative changes?

26-Sep-14
Yup, especially when it's windy.

26-Sep-14
I'm right there with you. I here them all the time, when I'm in elk camp. Sometimes when I hear them I look at my partners for a reaction to confirm if it was in my head or a actual bugle.

26-Sep-14
Living in elk country, I can tell you that you are probably hearing real elk. I never hear the faint bugles until the local elk start sounding off.

My wife hears way more of the faint bugles than I do.

This morning I walked out of the house at 5:30 heard 6 different elk bugling. Only 1 was close. Saw him across the meadow below my house. Chased a bugle and saw that elk. All the time the bulls were responding to each other. No need to do any calling as the bulls were responding to each other.

I have chased faint bugles in the past and closed on the bugling bull. It is surprising how far the bull I had to walk to get close to the faint bugle. It is way more fun to let them close the distance.

Terry

26-Sep-14
I've heard them but it seams the more the elk bugle the more I have trouble distinguishing. One night I had 4 bulls screaming on top of each other for 1.5 hours. That really put bugles in my head, the rest of that hunt I questioned myself every time.

26-Sep-14
Yeah if I listen hard enough I can hear them even hunting at home in Hawaii

26-Sep-14
or when you and your buddy stop and say "did you hear that?...........yep!"

Then proceed to both point in opposite directions to its origin. LOL

26-Sep-14
Yep. I also hear turkey gobbles for a day or two after I get home from chasing them.

26-Sep-14
Yes i hear the phantom bugles and real ones too, faint but both!!!

Sleeping i dream of BUGLES and BEARS and DEER and ……….

26-Sep-14
I ran into some texans running wheelers where they shouldn't have been. I know for a fact they heard some 'fake ones' lol. If I could get elk to position like they did I'd kill a big one every year. Did feel a little guilty watching them sucking wind going up that ridge, away from where the elk were.

26-Sep-14
My problem is I always think they are right there and then I locate it a 1/2 mile away...

26-Sep-14
Mostly just bad songs I can't get out of my head....

"no, no.... I just can't get you out of my mind, no I can't get you out of my mind...."

26-Sep-14
I used to hear women invite me to come sit with them. Of course , I was in a bar.......for a while.......

26-Sep-14
OMG!!!!! And here I thought I was the only one or I was imagining things.

I've only been elk hunting once for a week in 2011, but I swear, I could still hear bugles in my head for at least a week after I got home. I was kinda glad when it finally stopped.

26-Sep-14
haha TD I had the same three songs in my head the last two weeks! drove me crazy

26-Sep-14
Mo

26-Sep-14
I'm in same boat as Norseman!

26-Sep-14

TD's Link
Actually, I hear it all the time too.... it's my ringtone....

Women hide their children behind them when it goes off in supermarkets.....

27-Sep-14
Almost every time I'm in the field! Sometimes they make me walk a few drainages over.

28-Sep-14
Yes!

...and then we realized it was actually a bull and we called him in 20 minutes later...

28-Sep-14
Yeah - But mine ends up a bit different here in heavily hunted colorado OTC. Hear the faint one ... walk a 1/2 mile (uphill) to realize its a hunter in need of some calling practice, so for fun you rip one back at them, and listen to them bugle/cow call as then walk around trying to find you.

Amazing how close thay can get without seeing you.

Just once I'd like to experience what surfbow does!

29-Sep-14
Hockeydad, I did call in another hunter on Saturday in a unit I hadn't hunted before. I'd hiked in early up a ridge and unknowingly ended up about 1/4 mile from where this guy and his group had illegally driven off-road to camp. He dragged his butt about 500ft up the mountain calling at me like crazy before I snuck away...

29-Sep-14
I had a bull lighting up right below me last Monday... the bull was coming up... he was so amped up that another bull started sounding off over to my left... then another to my right... the bull on the left came into 25 feet... but behind me and a little to my left... I didn't have a shot but he starred at me for 5-minutes through the low branches and trees, looking for the cows he came to visit... the bull in the middle went silent... the bull to the right started going off! The bull to the left.... left... the middle bull worked his way to the right then went crashing off down to the next zip code.... the bull that was off to the right was a hunter and his wife that had heard the bugling and ran down the trail to see what it was and started blowing one of those wimpy bugles and blew the elk out... Last Elk I saw the whole 7 day trip!

29-Sep-14
That is a true bummer two jump! What is worse than the phantom bugle is when you blow elk out. Then for days, everywhere you go you hear it again with the question "is it real or is it Memorex?"

• Sitka Gear