Bill VanderLaan 29-Sep-14
TurkeyBowMaster 29-Sep-14
Surfbow 29-Sep-14
WapitiBob 29-Sep-14
Yellowjacket 29-Sep-14
kentuckbowhnter 30-Sep-14
kentuckbowhnter 30-Sep-14
29-Sep-14
What is the best way to learn to call elk? Is there a good instructional cd or video out there? What about brands and types of calls? Anything that I should stay away from?

Gimme' the skinny...

29-Sep-14
calling is overrated.

in otc units in much of colorado the only thing interested in the calls is young bulls. the big bulls have heard it all. i do not even carry a bugle tube anymore, haven't for many years. cow calling just a little bit can be helpful, but everywhere i have hunted for many years is overcalled.

29-Sep-14
Try Elknut.com

29-Sep-14
Check out out elk101.com and Bugling Bulls Game Calls.

Practice, Practice, Practice.....and take the bugle tube. Anyone who doesn't is making their elk hunt much harder than it could be.

29-Sep-14
Elknut has great DVDs that will help you out. He goes over sounds, and explains to you why and when to use these calls.

Even in over hunted OTC units here in Colorado, its not what you say when you call, but when you say it.

29-Sep-14
+2 On Elknut.

I didn't find that learning how to call all that difficult. It is knowing what to "say" and when to "say it" (or not call) as the biggest items to learn. Elknut's DVD's are #1 on this topic.

EDIT- I can count, but I am a slow typer! (IE Some other guys echoed idahoghost faster than I)

29-Sep-14
I completely disagree that calling is overrated even in OTC units. However, calling poorly will RUIN your hunt. Keep in mind that when you are calling you are attempting to speak a language. You had better know what you are saying. Calling isn't just about making sounds, it is, in my opinion way more about timing, just like when you are talking to another human. If you want to be a good caller, listen to real elk. Get on youtube and search elk bugling and listen to every real bull bugling and try to imitate those. Listen for the cows in the background and listen to the timing, frequency, everything. I consider myself a good caller and almost everything I have learned that made me a good caller came from listening to real elk in the woods. I hunt a VERY crowded OTC unit. This was a terrible year and I still managed to call in a lot of mature bulls. I would venture to say at least 95% of elk hunters are less than proficient at calling and really should do no more than a location bugle. 4% are okay and can do a pretty good job of calling. 1% are good callers, day in and day out. This 1% can speak the language.

Oddly enough I would say most guys are really bad at the bread and butter diaphragm cow mew. It is a very fine line between good and terrible and most guys are terrible. Not trying to offend anyone but it is true.

29-Sep-14
I'll pretty much echo Andy's comments.

I've hunted a VERY heavily hunted general area for the past 30yrs. There are very few open areas, and lots of water, so anyone that relies strictly on spot and stalk and/or sitting on water is going to eat lots of tag soup. Learning how to call, and even more importantly, when and when not to call, has been the demise of many an elk. Just this season, I had a nice 5x5 that came on a dead run to my squeal. He stopped 14yds, broadside, from my son. Unfortunately, some "misplaced" branches kept him from taking the shot. That's another issue altogether, but it was the calling that got him there in the first place.

I'll agree that over-calling, and not knowing when and when not to call, is a major issue for MANY people. Bottom line is, WAY too many people spend WAY too much time watching videos. They seem to think all they have to do is toot their horn as much as possible and the elk will literally trip all over themselves begging to be shot. Again, that's a problem with the caller, not the call itself.

As others have said, there are countless options when it comes to learning how to call. Best way is to get out there and learn from the best teachers of all...the elk themselves.

I will say, one of the most common problems people make when learning to use a diaphragm is blowing too hard. It doesn't take much to get the initial sound, then you can increase air pressure as you get to the higher notes. Also makes it easier to get the clear, crisp note breaks at the end if you haven't run out of air. ;-)

As with most things when it comes to bowhunting elk, there isn't one tool that is going to work all the time. However, the more tools you have in your toolbox, the better your odds of success will be.

29-Sep-14
Thanks for the tips. I have spent many a day chasing ducks and predators, so I get the importance of making the right call (or not calling at all) at the right time. As WYBullsahooter mentioned, I figure I need to learn so that I can call properly when the opportunity presents itself.

29-Sep-14

TurkeyBowMaster's embedded Photo
TurkeyBowMaster's embedded Photo
Here is what I used to call in a public land bull. It was real easy for me to master the bugle, chuckle, cow calls, and glunk with this and I believe it is more realistic than most elk calls. This is a standard cutter turkey call. I just listened to elk on YouTube and made the sounds thy made.. then when I actually got to hearing them I just mimiced them. The calling part is overrated and that is why many don't reccommend calling is because they have not figured out the part of calling that is not overrated and that is call timing, sequence, and the number 1 factor, location. In more open areas calling should accompany decoys. Almost everyone reccommended me not calling. In the 7 days I got locked in on elk, 2 of those days were ok for stalking. The rest were no wind and dry and noisy...not stalking conditions. Calling was the best option as I was not familiar enough to sit on a stand. My advice is call when the conditions are good fir calling and stalk when the conditions are good fir that. Take what the hunt gives you.

29-Sep-14
There are some free Elknut video clips on Youtube too...

29-Sep-14

WapitiBob's Link
Bugled my bull in to 20 yards twice, killed him the 2nd time. Called 2 bulls in at the same time a cpl days later with cow calls.

Get a good reed, I like the Primos ivory; and a good cow call, I like the Elk inc. I never used an open reed cow call this year.

Understand that most Elk wont come running like the family dog to a dinner bell. You gotta fake them out and the stupid ones die early. Corey Jacobsen has a podcast he did a few weeks ago that's worth listening to. We ran into each other last week out hunting and he's got it figured out and is an Elk killer.

29-Sep-14

Yellowjacket's embedded Photo
Yellowjacket's embedded Photo
I highly recommend this site. http://www.roehuntingresources.com/

It's a subscription site but I'm 2 for 2 on elk the last 2 years after subscribing. I thought I could call elk before but Chris has really opened my eyes and ears as to what the elk are really saying. I figure the $40 a year has paid off in a couple of thousand $$$ in elk meat. Including this bull this year.

30-Sep-14

kentuckbowhnter's embedded Photo
kentuckbowhnter's embedded Photo
I called in this bull last Thursday morning with cow calls in a Colorado otc unit. calls can work great.

30-Sep-14
meant to say Friday morning.

• Sitka Gear