glacial21 07-Oct-14
APauls 07-Oct-14
glacial21 07-Oct-14
greg simon 07-Oct-14
Adventurewriter 07-Oct-14
Mr_steve 07-Oct-14
joehunter8301 07-Oct-14
03-Oct-14
The awesome thread submission got me thinking. A picture is worth a thousand words. I prefer to have a picture detail the scene vs me typing a bunch of words. And I know this subject has been covered before.

What are some photo taking tips? Trophy shots? Scenery shots? What do you do when you are solo for picture taking?

Maybe I need to get a better camera. I use my point and shoot and also my IPhone. But I know the phone is mediocre, but it is handy. I have the Clip Shot for self timer and it works. But I rarely take self shots unless it is with a dead critter.

Although I have been guilty, especially earlier in my hunting life, I dislike truck bed and hanging pole shots. I prefer something in a natural setting.

I know BB posted that he will cut the tongue out to prevent that look. Also stuff some cloth in nose/mouth to keep blood from running down.

Post up you pointers.

03-Oct-14
Carry a few wipes or paper towels to clean up blood among other things. Some try to get blue sky in the picture to make animal look bigger. I prefer to see some of the surroundings so I don't forget where the animal was taken. I also seam to like the pictures where the animal is simply laying on the ground and not being posed. Sometimes it doesn't show off the animal as well I just thing they look more natural.

03-Oct-14
In taking any photo, be it living wildlife, where the window of opportunity closes fast, or be it trophy photos, one needs to do a bit of thinking. On wildlife you usually have to hurry and take it quick so you get it. But on trophy photos take the few minutes necessary to get the grass and bushes out of the face of the critter, make sure the tongue is tucked or cut off, and take the time to clean up the blood a bit. Few really like to see a bloody mess. I know some say they do, but most times it just an excuse from either not realizing how it detracts from the end result, or just a sign of being in too big of a hurry. A good photo, like a bad photo, lasts a long time. Do your best and you should have a great photo that will last you your life time.

Have a great bow hunt. BB

photo 363.jpg

photo 9-2.jpg

03-Oct-14
Beyond the obvious tucking in tongue, do best to clean blood (rubbing with some dry dirt works well) and making sure no grass, etc. in the way, my #1 recommendation for trophy photos is to be sure the camera is LOW, like on or near the ground.

The view from low looking upward at animal and hunter is SO much better than when the cameraman is standing upright looking down.

And when BB speaks...listen.

Carl

03-Oct-14
I'm no expert, just a couple tips for the self-trophy photos that I have to abide by. . .

Slow down. Seems I'm always in a hurry once the critter is dead. I don't know why. I enjoy it more if I slow down and soak it in

Take lots of shots.

Check the shots for lighting and for background obstructions (learned this the hard way, recent muley photos have a dead tree growing out of the rack from 20 feet in the background)

Carry some small clippers to clip brush back

Just a few I try to think about

Bake

03-Oct-14
Not really a tip, but more of a comment. It bothers me when you see the hunter in a "trophy photo" with his/her arm or arms stretched to the maximum out in front of them holding the antlers . . . trying to make themselve look smaller in an attempt to make the rack look bigger.

03-Oct-14
Slow down and make believe it's important! It is! Have fun! If you take 100 photos you will like one better than the other 99! GL

03-Oct-14
Direct sunlight can really screw up a shot, or mottling from sunlight through the trees.

A picture taken in the shade can always be easily enhanced for brightness/ contrast...it's a lot tougher to preserve detail when you have glare in the picture and you have to try to edit it out.

That being said...not much you can do sometimes when hunting solo. A large animal like an elk pretty much dies where it dies, and you have to make the best of it.

Best of Luck, Jeff

03-Oct-14
Yep on cut and fling the tongue. Tuck it and it will fall out.

Shoot at least half of the shots with a flash. In fact, shots taken after dark, with the flash, usually highlight the animal and the hunter.

Yes, Iphones have great flashes and great quality. I've run half-page photos in a newspaper and magazine shot with my Iphone 5.

Have the photographer get down at the same level as the animal and the hunter and shoot from several angles.

If the hunter is holding the antlers or horns, have him do it down at the base.

Pay attention to the background. It's tough to see deer tines, especially the ones I shoot, if there are a lot of small branches in the back ground. A solid background works bests, like the sky, darkness, cedar trees, a lake...

If possible, shoot the shots during the first or last hour of daylight when the sunshine is angled, and the shadows throw in a nice contrast.

During turkey season, check what the Cali guys are doing, and do that as best you can.

Oh, and start cutting up to get the hunter laughing and smiling. Far too many lifeless faces look like the guys at a tax audit!

A very common mistake is standing too far from the animal when taking the pic.

The biggest mistake is not having some sort of camera with you. You never know when something good might come along.

03-Oct-14
get the blood out

03-Oct-14
Lots of good tips above. I am far from a pro, but taking time to take good pictures is well worth the effort. Rarely will spending an extra 15 minutes taking pictures change the quality of the meat. Slow down and take your time - relish the experience. Those times are few and far between so make the best of them.

Instead of grabbing the antlers with a full death grip try to just use your fingers on the back of them to position the head properly or even just support the head with a hand hidden under the jaw line. You want to show the antlers, not your fat fingers. Also take some shots with the animal resting naturally on the ground and the hunter standing behind or kneeling in admiration. Get creative!

03-Oct-14
find a photo online that you like, print it out (or save it to your smartphone) and put it in your wallet. Then try to look at it when you are taking your trophy photo.

03-Oct-14
I often turn the head and hold it up by the offside ear so hands aren't even in the photo.

Like others have said take a BUNCH and one or two will definitely stand out.

Often the ones I throw in at the end just to try a different angle or pose end up being the best.

A quality trophy photo captures the hunt forever and I treasure it as much as antlers on the wall.

I also carry my camera on my hip in a Badlands bino case for quick access on the fly.

Have gotten tons of great photos of critters over the years by having camera handy. Plus scenery and other memories that would be missed with a camera in the bottom of my pack.

Carl

03-Oct-14
Make sure to turn your headlamp off.....

03-Oct-14

greg simon's embedded Photo
greg simon's embedded Photo
Take lots of pictures...then take some more!!! Dead animals are great but there are a lot of things that I want to remember besides that. Try to capture as much as you can. Also if I don't kill anything (which seems to happen sometimes)I still have great photos to remind me of the hunt.

03-Oct-14
I'm thinking of doing a diy pronghorn hunt next year (2015) if I can get it together. I have 16 or 17 points for Colorado and 4 or 5 in Wyoming..

My girl friend will go if I do this hunt.. She's a photography teacher in Stroudsburg Pa and often comes with me on my blind sit hunts and takes pixs. One time I watched her sit motionless for well over a hour trying to get that one pix of a blue heron fishing. She's the kinda girl that would lay in a swamp with just her head and camera out of the water. eD

03-Oct-14

glacial21's embedded Photo

glacial21's Link
My #1 tip for people hoping to come home with a nice set of photos (which is most likely going to be the only "trophy" many people bring home)is to keep your camera accessible. If you bury it in your pack your're barely going to use it. There is plenty of room to get technical beyond that, but I find this to be most hunter's #1 hurdle to having good hunt photos.

A sample of photos from a few of my trips can be seen at the link. Returning with a good set of pictures has become as much of a goal as returning with antlers for me over the years. I know which would mean more to me 30 years from now when I am sitting in a rocking chair!

05-Oct-14
Here are a few tip/suggestions that I have learned along the way with hunting/outdoor scenery photographs:

1. I have watched guides, Phs and trackers spend much time setting up a trophy photo session clearing weeds out of the view of an intended photo shot.

2. The angle of a shot can increase or decrease the appearance of the size of an animal.

3. If a trophy photography includes both the trophy and the hunter the distance the hunter is from the trophy can greatly increase or decrease the appearance of the size of the animal.

4. When taking a photograph of an animal always seek to get the eye of the animal focused very clearly.

5. Depth of field can be a photographer's friend or enemy- decide what you want to photograph to feature before the photograph is taken then use depth of field accordingly.

6. Don't be afraid to take multiple photographs if possible. Chips are cheap- good photographs are priceless.

7. Always factor the sun position/shadows into a photograph.

8. Clouds can really add a lot to sunrise or sunset photo. Don't just look for clear sky shots opportunities. Think like Ansel Adams !!!

9. Never delete a photo from a chip unless it is obviously blurred. Delete photos only after reviewing on a computer screen- then delete a photo if blurred.

10. Always take a lot of photos of everything on hunting trips and save the photos. You may find what initially appears as a worthless photo as very useable in later times. Every picture tells a story and can make a valuable point.

Just my 2 cents

05-Oct-14
Z,

#1 I keep my camera where it's very easy to grab #2 I make a conscious effort to grab my camera and take photos #3 I take LOTS of photos because of the odds of random probability #4 I don't delete any until I'm home, unless it's an obvious garbage photo #5 I look for unique things, cliffs, springs, sunrises, sunsets, cloud formations, lost Sikta shirts, etc. #6 Listen to everything BB tells you

05-Oct-14

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
A light weight camera tripod will surely be useful.

06-Oct-14

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

06-Oct-14

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

06-Oct-14

06-Oct-14

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

06-Oct-14

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
As I hope you can see, when you have a group of ugly guys there's really not much one can do to make a photo look good! Ha Ha

Have a great bow hunt. BB

06-Oct-14
I hunt by myself 99% percent of the time. For the "trophy" shot and other pics where I want to be in a pic I rely on tripod and a self timer on the camera. It can be tricky but you can get pretty good at taking pics yourself. There really is no excuse for not getting great shots even if your by yourself.

A couple things I try to do.

Keep the sun at your back

Take pics with a flash and without a flash

Take more pics than you think you should take. Once at home you can delete. But you might have a great one

Smile! I often am trying to take self timer pics and all by myself and forget to smile. But I try to remember to smile because it is a great time!

06-Oct-14

AERO63's embedded Photo
AERO63's embedded Photo
Lots of good tips above. There are 3 things I always try to make happen if possible when taking trophy photos (aside from cleaning blood, etc).

1. Quarter the animal towards the camera. Broadside can be ok, quartering away is no good.

2. Get the antler/horns into the sky. Not always possible, but always best. Definitely not in front of a complicated background (i.e., camo clothing, hardwood thicket, etc).

3. Keep the camera level with or preferably below the animal/hunter. If you're on a steep slope it is possible to get too low, so watch out for that. (And always be sure to clear any vegetation out of the way).

And all tips/tricks aside, take a photo YOU like. It's your animal and your picture.

06-Oct-14

AERO63's embedded Photo
AERO63's embedded Photo
And as for scenery shots...pretty simple...hunt in places with good scenery and take a bunch of photos! Haha

06-Oct-14
Sorry for the third straight post but I'll add a caveat, especially since this is the elk section. Elk in my opinion can be some of the most challenging animals to get good field photos of...much of the challenge is the fact that they are very difficult to move around into that "perfect" position.

I think head on the ground works best for elk, even if it means no antlers in the sky.

06-Oct-14

ki-ke's embedded Photo
ki-ke's embedded Photo
I've always followed BB's photographic advice, with normally stellar results.

Legoman says to always use the Macro function on your camera, but I believe he may quietly suffer from Napolean Complex.....

06-Oct-14

Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
Lots of good tips...for sure.

Of course blood ruins a picture....use to really worry about it use all my water and be dying of thirst.... but a super easy fix on Photoshop... I carry some detal floss for tying the motuh close and again asy to photoshop that out...There is a guy on bowsite that will fix messy pictures for free...

Take LOTS of pictures...slight animal head changes can bring out a point or prong...

Always be ready for the shot of lifetime and have your camera in a place you can get it...when that shot presents itself

06-Oct-14

For my "Big camera" SLR I have a remote wireless trip...20 bucks So instead of setting the delay and running and jumping into position...you can take lots of pictures with the remote... stop check the results on the viewer....also if you struggle with remembering which shots to take...some anmilas show better in certain postions...rip some examples out of magazines and throww in your pack...

Cheers...happy shooting

06-Oct-14
Taylor,

It is good to know you are still alive and still posting.

Best of hunting this year.

Buffalo1

06-Oct-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
If you have good lighting for a picture... move quickly to get setup for the picture. Fill flashes certainly help in situations, but nothing like the natural light. Backgrounds when possible make the picture as much as the subject itself. Try to place more emphasis on the animal than the hunter, without the cheesy camera 3" from the animals face pictures.

I'm still learning a lot, but I care more about the trophy photo than the horns/antlers/mounts themselves. After all, that's what you share with family and friends far more than a pile of antlers in the garage or room full of mounts in your private house.

Here is a pic that turned out decent from this weekend in Wyoming. Wish I'd have changed a few things, but for an unadultered photograph, it turned out great I think.

06-Oct-14
And Brian if you don't mind me asking on this thread - but for the guys taking wildlife shots while hunting how do you go about having your camera "handy" while hunting? How do you do this in a way so as not to detract from the hunt? How do you have your camera "at the ready" when in a tree stand? Lastly - any special precautions in very cold weather and where do you keep your camera then? (As in well below freezing)

Some tips here as well would be much appreciated!!!

07-Oct-14
Yes sir Greg! Still alive just haven't spent too much time crusing the forums recently.

So far 2014 has been a good season, I've put tags on a muley buck, a bull elk, and a cow elk. One more elk tag in my pocket as well.

Hope you are having or will have a great year!

07-Oct-14
Apauls,

So when I'm taking a wildlife shit, do you mean like I'm shitting in the woods like a bear? Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I keep my camera in a cargo pocket or a waistbelt pouch on my backpack. From a treestand you could just hang it from your neck, or a cargo pocket I would think.

In cold weather, make sure you don't put it inside of your coat. It'll fog up and possibly freeze. My Jetstream has a chest pocket that I put my camera in.

07-Oct-14

My camera is always in a Mystery Ranch accessory pouch strapped to my pack waistband. Having it there where I can get to it in a matter of seconds is just as important as having my bow in my hands. This is an example of a picture that would have been impossible to get if the camera was buried inside my pack or back in the truck.

07-Oct-14
JLS lol sorry and thanks edited my post. I've caught it so many times on my phone it was one of things that was going to happen eventually, but at least Charlie beat me to it! ha ha

Thanks for the responses, sounds like guys are commonly keeping their camera in their belt pouch. Is that true with a DSLR as well? I've got a mirrorless SLR which is as small as they come, but I'm thinking it's a little large for a belt pouch. And experienced guys haven't had any issues hanging their cameras from the tree several degrees below freezing?

It's often 10 - 20 maybe even 30 degrees below zero in the rut here, and just wondering if having a camera out exposed to those elements is a good idea. Then again in your pack it's just as cold, and inside your jacket you'll have humidity issues so is it OK to bring it out in that weather?

07-Oct-14
The most frustrating thing to me about a mountain hunt is that I have to trade out my DSLR for a point-and-shoot. It's just way too bulky to hunt with. A Canon super-zoom P&S barely squeezes into my waistbelt pouch and has done a decent job for me on multiple hunts. It's definitely no DSLR, however. As a fairly-serious photographer this is a big compromise. Sometimes you get lucky in terms of photo quality with a good P&S. You really have to pay attention to light. The above photo of the lion is a great example of that. It's a point-and-shoot shot that wound up printed in Outdoor Life Magazine. That took some luck (and a camera that was accessible in a matter of seconds).

Other than stay home - I'm not sure what I would do in that 10-30 below zero weather you mention. That's going to be hard on electronics.

07-Oct-14
In extremely cold temps any moisture in the electronics will cause them to freeze up...like was stated don't keep the camera inside your coat. Otherwise just bring extra batteries because the cold really decreases battery life. Also the remote shutter release is great and inexpensive.

07-Oct-14
The hillside Ibex photo above was taken with a point and shoot pocket camera in -20. A little luck in the picture composing itself.....but am ALWAYS looking for a good shot in my head...never would have gotten the shot unless I had a camera right there. I yelled at the guide to "SSSTTTOP" Hard to see here but you can see the perfect outline of his AK-47 hanging from his back in and the ibex horns. The 25 year editor of Sporting Classics said it is the best hunting related photo he has seen.

So be ready literally the shot of a lifetime can come at any time

07-Oct-14
A few tips that I always try remind myself of for grip and grin shots...

Don't be afraid to get closer to your subject.

Try several different angles.

Be aware of how the background looks with your subject. Does it contrast enough?

Don't try to make the animal look bigger by sitting far away or sticking your arms out.

Landscape:

Try to have subjects in the fore ground, middle and background.

Rule of thirds.

Level horizon.

Just a few thoughts...

07-Oct-14

joehunter8301's embedded Photo
joehunter8301's embedded Photo
Sometimes the best photos are not the trophy pose but a pic that captures the special moments. Cleaning up the animal from blood an dirt, getting them in a natrual pose, good backdrop, sun positioning, distance from animal to camera, fill flash are all considerations to be taken when taking pics. This pic is a buck I killed last week and it's turning out to be one of my all time favorites. It says a whole story to me when I look at it.

• Sitka Gear