onX Maps
You pack out MEAT but NOT your TRASH?!!!
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
ProAlpine 03-Oct-14
ProAlpine 03-Oct-14
orionsbrother 03-Oct-14
Rcarter 03-Oct-14
Rick M 03-Oct-14
Tom 03-Oct-14
Eric B. 03-Oct-14
SoDakSooner 03-Oct-14
YZF-88 03-Oct-14
coelker 03-Oct-14
JMG 03-Oct-14
Ty 03-Oct-14
moosenelson 03-Oct-14
JusPassin 03-Oct-14
Fuzzy 03-Oct-14
smarba 03-Oct-14
kentuckbowhnter 03-Oct-14
The Old Sarge 03-Oct-14
drycreek 03-Oct-14
ProAlpine 03-Oct-14
Keywadin 03-Oct-14
cityhunter 03-Oct-14
Gene 03-Oct-14
Charlie Rehor 03-Oct-14
RTJ1980 03-Oct-14
jdee 03-Oct-14
bigbulls6 05-Oct-14
stealthycat 05-Oct-14
mrelite 09-Oct-14
CurveBow 09-Oct-14
Brotsky 09-Oct-14
Beendare 09-Oct-14
bill v 09-Oct-14
MuleyFever 09-Oct-14
maravia14x24 09-Oct-14
TurkeyBowMaster 09-Oct-14
patdel 09-Oct-14
huntingbob 09-Oct-14
LUNG$HOT 10-Oct-14
Gil67 10-Oct-14
maravia14x24 10-Oct-14
03-Oct-14

ProAlpine's embedded Photo
I recently spent a couple days in one of my most favorite places in the world for final 2 days of Elk Season. Although only an hour and half drive and another hour hike in from my house, this place is remote. There are no trails that lead here and the few visitors are hunters and climbers. The weather was unsettled with showers, cooler temps and occasional light snowfall. I spent the first day working an alpine basin I'm quite familiar with from my days guiding climbing clients up the nearby peaks. The elk were few and exceptionally quiet. I jumped a large cow early on and she headed up hill, calling the others to follow. Putting trees between us I continued to stalk her as she barked to the others. I couldn't quite get close enough and soon she and 2 other cows and spike bull were cresting the divide heading into the next basin. I continued to patrol the basin, following fresh sign of another 3-4 group of cows, but never got sight of them. I found some fantastic wallows that I'll have to return to next year when it's hot and also found what looks like native american hunting blinds - there were 4-5 deep pits dug in a 30x30 yard area where the elk frequently move through. Although sparsely forested, I couldn't see any sign that the pits were from trees being blown over... interesting to say the least. I may have to hunt that zone too.

Late in the afternoon I returned to my pack and brewed up a hot drink. I decided to contour around into the next basin where I've also seen a number of elk. Following a well worn game trail I jumped several deer before entering the next basin. Again the trails led to a nice wallow, but with the temps in the low 40s I figured there would be no wallowing today. I continued on to an area that had several small lakes below the alpine peaks and decided I'd set up camp there then try an evening hunt in this basin.

I pitched my tent on a bench just out of site of the lowest lake, but with a good view of the basin - a perfect hunting camp. Then I set out to see if I could find any elk. Again, it was extremely quiet - no bugling what so ever. I crept through the lower forests thinking that with the evening temps the air would be dropping and I'd hopefully work my way uphill into some game. Just as I'd neared the edge of the woods I heard a distant cow call. As I froze in my tracks I caught a glimpse of another cow feeding about 100 yards uphill of me. I moved a few feet behind some cover and watched as she feed. In less than a minute she picked up her head, turned, looked, turned again and trotted off. Damn, the winds had switched and I was busted. I continued to work the trees in a circle to where I thought she went, but light was fading and I had no sight of her nor was she making any sound... I soon gave in and decided it was time to get back to camp before dark and fire up the the stove for dinner.

In the morning I decided to walk to a rise not far from where I was camped to get a commanding view of the entire basin. While heading up there I first came across a flat spot in the grass that was matted down. I immediately recognized it as a tent site. I took a moment to scan the ground and began seeing bits of plastic trash here and there. Discouraged, I thought I'd continue with my hunting and pick up the trash on the way back through. From the rise I glassed the basin for 15 minutes or so, nothing. On the other side of the rise there were some nice woods that looked inviting so I decided to work them through to the next basin south. After a couple hours of walking quietly through the woods and admiring the stunning waterfall in the southern basin it began to snow. I had to get back home before too long, as my wife was going to work and I needed to be there for my 11 month old daughter.

I walked back through the old campsite and began picking up bits of trash when I saw where it was all coming from. The litter bugs had decided not to pack out any of their trash but decided to burry it instead and cover it with a large rock. the critters had dug up bits and pieces and chewed into some of it, but when I removed the rock and began uncovering all that was there my heart sank. Here I was, by myself in the most inspiring terrain stalking the great wapiti and in the end spending my final hours of hunting season packing out at least 10 lbs of garbage left by other bowhunter. Luckily I had a couple trash bags I used to keep things dry in my pack. I filled one up to the size of a large stuffed sleeping bag, double bagged it and headed back to my camp. What a disappointment. I came here because for the solitude, the natural beauty and, what I thought was little to no hunting pressure. Not only had the elk been disturbed by other hunters, but the hunters had left all their garbage. I will commend them on their "fast and light" approach, as the trash revealed they were eating freeze dried meals, energy bars and the like. They left no fire ring, nor any soup cans lying around. But if this is what modern bowhunters do, then I want no part of it!

Pack It In, Pack It OUT! LEAVE NO TRACE!

If you happen to be one of the hunters reading this, you know who you are, hunting in Idaho, shame on you. As a fellow hunter, I'm very disappointed. What happens when non hunters come across this kind of thing? Then we all suffer.

03-Oct-14

View from the pile of trash of my tent and the basin.

03-Oct-14
That's too bad. Thank you for packing it out.

I've packed out a lot of other people's garbage too. It pisses me off. I really like it when they've tried to burn it and it's a big juicy carbon rich bunch of clumps.

03-Oct-14
From one Idaho bowhunter to another--Thank you--on behalf of me and my family of bowhunters.

03-Oct-14
I am always surprised and disappointed at what and where I find garbage. Apparently sardines and Vienna sausage are still on the menu!!

We always end up taking out a little more than we take in, try to do my part. Good on you for hauling out their trash.

Beautiful scenery.

03-Oct-14
we need more people like you and less of the other.

03-Oct-14
Just returned from a sheep hunt in the Frank Church wilderness of Idaho. Same thing.....you have me worked up all over again! They can pack it in full but unable to pack out the empty trash? UGH !!

03-Oct-14
Thank you.

03-Oct-14
Good grief. How much does empty trash weigh? I stay organized with one gallon ziplock bags for "day food". Makes keeping everything full and empty clean, off my stuff and easy to pack out.

Thanks for cleaning up Idaho. I really like hunting elk there. So much that I pay the NR fees even though I could hunt much cheaper in Utah.

03-Oct-14
I can top it... Last weekend I found a muzzy hunters camp. They left all sorts of crap. A cot that was ripped, a lantern, toilet, garbage, about 39 can in the fire pit etc. They were truck camping and still left all that crap.

I will typically pul a truck load of stuff left in camps. Most of which I resale. One year they left 2 full bottles of crown in one camp!

03-Oct-14
Yes . . . THANK YOU!

Your actions are a GREAT example of how we should all conduct ourselves while enjoying these public places.

Always takes one or two jacka$$e$ to ruin it for the rest of us.

03-Oct-14
I hate that; pick-up after yourself! Thank you for cleaning it up.

03-Oct-14
Could a been campers, not necessarily hunters? I burn all my crap and all the stuff I find. We find very little junk where we go but I've been places that looked like a dump. If I have no way to pack it out, I burn it.

Good on you, most hunters leave the country cleaner than they find it. Some guys are idiots. They leave garbage on sidewalks and everywhere else they go.

03-Oct-14
I'll never get to go where you were, but thank you just the same. My worst "find" was where some jerk had changed the oil in his 4 wheel drive up in the Shell Creek range of eastern Nev. Ground was saturated with oil and there laid the used oil filter and the empty oil cans. I am still baffled to this day as to who would do such a thing, and that was in 1974.

03-Oct-14
yep, that's just lame....

03-Oct-14
Thanks for doing the right thing.

And yes, totally disheartening. Happens all the time, although one would think that in this day and age it would not be like this.

03-Oct-14
sickening to see people trash a place up like that.

03-Oct-14
Three years out of four, I came upon a similar camp spot left by fellow bowhunters ... in the same place each time. They pack in at least 2 cases of canned beer and a couple dozen bottles of water. They leave all the empties, about two trash bags worth each year.

I have never been able to figure out the mindset that hauls in full beer cans and water bottles but can't haul the empties out. I have a pretty good idea who these dirtbags are and have been keeping an eye out for them ever since.

03-Oct-14
People who leave trash....are trash. Thanks for doing what's right.

03-Oct-14
I'm pretty sure it was hunters based on where their camp was. I selected nearly the same spot based on proximity to game, water and vantage points but yet out of sight. Almost all hikers/backpackers I know would camp by the lake. This was an out of the way spot not obvious unless you were looking for it and for the above mentioned qualities. I did not find any signs of a kill, but was only there for 2 days. The elk that usually populate the area in large numbers were scattered, low in numbers and quiet. My impression was they'd received hunting pressure.

My intention is not to receive praise from folks for packing out the trash. I pick up almost all garbage I found in the mountains with a few exceptions: TP, tampons & condoms... My intentions were to hopefully educate the few who may be ruining it for the rest of us!

03-Oct-14
Unfortunatly, Nothing surprises me anymore. I go camping and hiking in the Adirondacks all the time and the so-called tree hugger, natralists, leave more crap than anybody.

03-Oct-14
The world is about ME and ONLY ME type folks so sad

03-Oct-14
Opening day of trout season years ago, I had a guy just upstream of me toss his to go coffee cup in the river. He apparently didn't like what I had to say to him because he left in a hurry! I was taught to carry out more than you brought in. Unfortunately, I am usually doing just that!

03-Oct-14
No trash in Utah! Very good folks! Give that a try!

03-Oct-14
Thanks for packing it out.

Last year my hunting partner and I ran across a similar situation. We were 5 miles off the road in a wilderness area and came across over (50) 1lb propane cylinders stashed in the woods off a prime camp site. They were rusted up on the threads so they were there for at least a year. We packed out as many as we could, but our TZ6000's weren't big enough for all of them. I was pretty disappointed that another hunter bow or rifle wouldn't pack their trash out. I am almost positive it was a hunter too, because there were 3- elk skulls with the antlers and part of the skull plate cut off laying 15yds away. Disgusted.

03-Oct-14
I came across an old camp in WY a few years back where they had made a little open out house (just a wooden box ) with a real toilet seat on it. They just left it there along with their beer cans......NASTY, all the paper scattered all over the place. It's hard to believe someone would just up and leave it there. It was a mess !!

05-Oct-14
Thank You!!!! Disrespectful A##bags that left it are hurting all of us!! Thanks again!!

Rob

05-Oct-14
I was walking out of a wilderness area one time, just absolutely exhausted .... and saw an old mtn dew can off to the side of the trail and thought ***&(ers ....went out of my way, picked it up and it was FULL and UNOPENED

Best damn Mtn Dew I ever drank.

Sportsmen do this - clean it up. Its just what we do

09-Oct-14
I am also amazed at how many back country places that has trash scattered around, I almost always have some type of trash that I pick up while I am out, the litter issue is disgusting and getting worse as more and more people venture into the woods.

The unfortunate thing is that nobody ever gets charged with littering because you can't catch them doing it, until someone comes up with a way to catch litterers the issue will continue to increase as more people hit the woods. I would like to see the fines increased to a "big" number and maybe the revocation of privileges if caught littering printed on all outdoor issued licenses even though it is hard to catch them it might deter a few people.

A few years back I took my daughter fishing to a stream I use to fish when I was a young, back then the road to this area was just a semi rough mountain road, the area was beautiful and pristine. Fast forward to present time, the road was improved to let all vehicles easily access the area but still unimproved camping areas, I hadn't been to this place since the road was improved. We pulled up to the area with great anticipation as I had hyped this place up to my daughter and to my surprise all of the camping areas by the stream were completely trashed out, it was bad! I told my daughter that we will go to a different spot to camp so we went to another place that I knew of that was off of the beaten path. It was dark when we reached the spot so we parked and set up the pop up camper and crashed for the night. We awoke and stepped outside to a beautiful area full of wildflowers unfortunately after a few minutes of walking around the beautiful scenery we started seeing lots of trash below the carpet of flowers, it was so bad that we had to break out the trash bags and clean up the area before we could start setting up our outside camp area, we picked up a full 30 gallon sack of trash, not exactly the experience I wanted to share with the kiddo but we still enjoyed the area after it was cleaned up.

It just sucks that the people that clean up after themselves are the ones who in essence get run out of certain areas of the mountains, I will probably never return to that beautiful trashed out area and I am pretty sure my daughter will never take her kids there, a shame IMO.

09-Oct-14
As others have already said - thank you for being a great steward of the outdoors! I do the same. Drink bottles, beer cans, food wrappers.... Pick them up when I find them. After we camp, we carry out a grabage bag of our junk..... "Leave no trace - take nothing but pictures; leave nothing but tracks!"

>>>>-------->

09-Oct-14
Thank you for picking up after others.

Unfortunately this type of person lives like this at home and feels it's the only way to live no matter where they go. Ever go to someone's house where there is garbage overflowing, house is a pig sty, etc? Well some of those people hunt/fish. Very sad, all we can do is pick up after ourselves and everyone else.

09-Oct-14
Not uncommon for me to come back to camp with all my pockets full of trash I have picked up during a day of hutning.

09-Oct-14

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
Not just trash....nothing worse than seeing a big old pile of poop with paper strewn everywhere- JEEZ, YOU COULDN'T STEP OFF THE TRAIL AND BURY IT A LITTLE?

Pic is right on a closed road that is a main access to a big area- more than a few guys have to walk right by this- sick. The guy could have stepped 10' off the trail in the thick trees and buried it in the duff and other guys wouldn't have the flies from his crap landing on them- friggin idiot!

09-Oct-14
Proalpine. need more like you out there.

I'm sure Good Karma is coming your way brother!

Bill V

09-Oct-14
"No trash in Utah! Very good folks! Give that a try!"

I hunt S Utah and find trash on every hike I take. I just dont get it.

09-Oct-14
i hunt wilderness area above Aspen. a few years back there were a couple guys from Oregon bow hunting there. They were hunting off of motorcycles, I found their motorcycle tracks well over a mile into the wilderness, in an area with a lot of water. When I got into town, I sent the forest service guys after them.

09-Oct-14
I saw a pile of poo and the guy wiped with a coffee filter. What's he doing with a coffee filter in the first place.

09-Oct-14
Any corn in there Steve?

09-Oct-14
While scouting for my sheep hunt this year while walking back to the truck we were within 300 yards of the Parking area and the friend that was with me jabs me and points downhill. I look and here is a really big guy taking a crap on a log 10 feet off the trail downhill. I am thinking really! You cannot go any further off the trail to empty your colon? So back at the truck the whole group comes back like nothing happened and starts to load up like everything is normal. They have no idea why they should not be there. One time visitors and that is all. On the same hunt I was camped well below all of the other sheep hunters and found a spot where someone buried all of there Mtn House garbage in the pine needles and every bear or other animal like a squirrel had ran-sacked it so bad it looked like a garbage dump. I packed it all up and took it out. Didn't weigh much but a pain in the arse to pick up all of the little pieces and bag it for the pack out. After doing that I had to leave the other like place for someone else. There was two of them and I cannot believe people go into the Wilderness and leave it like a dump. They too are one time users. I can top this but I will leave it with why would you take the time to crap in a bucket with a toilet lid on it and a trash bag liner and just leave the whole thing? What was the mentality there? Bob.

10-Oct-14
"Best damn Mtn Dew I ever drank."

Lmao! Priceless! Sad deal finding trash in our great outdoors. Thanks to all who care enough to protect the beautiful lands we cherish and are blessed to be able to hunt on!

10-Oct-14
Flagging tape people leave after making a kill, how hard would it be to collect. To be fair it's not just hunters , I've found lots of rubbish left by guys working on the timber, oil cans and old overalls etc. makes you wonder how they were raised and what state their homes are in

10-Oct-14
it is the state of the country.

no personal responsibility, and laziness!

• Sitka Gear