Sage of the Sage2 06-Oct-14
Paul@thefort 06-Oct-14
WapitiBob 07-Oct-14
Fuzzy 07-Oct-14
Herdbull 07-Oct-14
midwest 07-Oct-14
liv4it 07-Oct-14
06-Oct-14
Just wondering what you all do with your elk and deer ribs?

I was talking to a guy and he said he boils them for about 15-20 min. and this helps get rid of any fat or grisle. He them slow cooks them on the barby covered in his home suace. He claims they are better than any beef ribs you can buy.

He also said he does do this with elk and deer ribs.

06-Oct-14
Slow cook in the crock pot. Separate meat from non edible parts. Sautee onions in olive oil and add meat along with a little garlic. Add your favorite bbq sauce. I also like to take the meat and put it in the oven for a crispier texture and add bbq sauce over the browned meat

06-Oct-14
I ask my butcher if anyone ever has him package the ribs - he says no. I am usually worried about hAving enough cooler space - on my list of things to do. I think they would be fantastic - elk that is.

06-Oct-14
Hamburger

06-Oct-14
Not packing out elk ribs on bone! I do take the rib meat however, it gets ground with the neck meat.

Best of Luck, Jeff

06-Oct-14
We always drag our elk out whole so iv always taken the ribs on the bone I smoke them on the bone and man are they good!

06-Oct-14
I ate elk ribs once and leave them for the coyotes now. Thought I had bitten into a bar of bow string wax with a little BBQ sauce on it.

I'm killing elk #2 next week. Id like to try the ribs if someone has a foolproof method of fixing them so I don't get a mouthful of tallow.

06-Oct-14
I saved mine for the first time last year, they are great!! 3 hours in the smoker, followed by another 5-6 hours in the crock put until it shreds easily.

We've made burritos and shredded bbq sandwiches out of them. I won't leave them in the field again!

We just cut the meat off the bone in the field, I don't know a good way to cut through the ribs easily.

06-Oct-14
Bob, I'm guessing they weren't cooked low and slow enough to break down the connective tissue and melt off the fat.

I have not had elk ribs on the bone but used to eat my deer ribs.

06-Oct-14
Heres what I do Wapiti, first thing is to trim off all extra visible fat. Bring a large pot of water to a boil then place your room temp ribs into the pot. Add approx 1 cup brown sugar (optional but recommended). Set them to a low rolling boil for a minimum of 1 hour (not too long or meat will fall off bones). After boiling spoon away fat from top of water and discard. Have your grill preheated on med/high. Rinse ribs in sink thoroughly then season with salt, pepper, garlic powder or rub of your choice. Transfer ribs to hot grill. Brown on both sides (approx 5 mins ea side) then begin glazing ribs with bbq sauce of your choice (I use sweet baby Rays) turning constantly as not to burn. After you get a couple layers of sauce glazed on they're DONE! Bon-appetite. Don't forget, these ribs are already "cooked through" once removed from the water. Your simply seasoning, browning and glazing on the grill. Too long on grill will dry them out.

06-Oct-14
I cut the meat out from between the ribs and throw them in the burger pile.

A few years ago, however, I actually took a sawsall and hacked a rack of ribs out of a big whitetail (yep... messy). We took it on a camping trip and cooked it on one of those open grills you always see at campgrounds. We just kept turning it and putting Jack Daniels BBQ sauce on it. I wasn't expecting it to be very good, but I was wrong. It was fantastic. We were camping w/ some freinds and everybody want a part of it. I've never been quite ambitious enough to try that again, but probably will eventually.

06-Oct-14
Where's Paul, he swears by them...All depends on prep and cooking...

06-Oct-14
questions, are you cutting the rib where the backstrap started then again 4-5" lower to end up with a 5" long rib?

Also, there are several layers of muscle on the rib cage, do you just trim off the outer layer of fat and leave the inner layers of muscle alone?

06-Oct-14
I had a buddy bring deer ribs last year to our annual bunny hunt and I couldn't believe how good they were. Some of the best ribs I have ever had period.

06-Oct-14
WapitiBob,

I've done them before like that, cut about a 5" rib section and slow cook them on the grill to render the fat out. It's a fine line between done and overdone.

06-Oct-14
Bob, that's about exactly the way I cut it - had about a 5 inch rack, maybe a little more even. And I left most of the layer of muscle on the rack. I probably trimmed a little off, but not much. Pretty good stuff I recall.

06-Oct-14
Use Elk ribs only. Do not "boil" the elk ribs! Deer ribs are too fatty and the taste of deer is not good when prepared this way.

1. cut the elk ribs into 4-5 rib sections and then cut those in half (12-14 inch length, depending on the depth of the pot) so that they will fit into a large pot.

2. Add Apple vinegar, 1/2 cup per gal. Pot should be able to hold at least two gallons, 3 to 4 is better. Vinegar is a tenderizer and will also add some flavor.

3. Bring to a SIMMER (not boil) and place ribs in pot.

4. Cover pot and cook for up to four hours or until meat is 80 percent cooked, ie, almost ready to fall off the bone. Do not cook too long as you do not want the meat to fall off the bone.

5. during the cooking process skim off the fat from the surface of the simmering water ever hour.

6. When ribs are ready, cover with your favorite BBQ sauce.

7. Place ribs on a grill, I like charcoal for best flavor, and finish cooking and merging the BBQ flavor into the ribs.

8. Grab a few beers and enjoy.

07-Oct-14
Ok fellers, I'm gonging a cow next week along with four antelope and will bring some ribs home.

07-Oct-14
eat em

07-Oct-14

Herdbull's embedded Photo
Herdbull's embedded Photo
I cut my moose ribs small enough to boil in a pot for about 45 minutes, the BBQ sauce on grill.

07-Oct-14
Oh yum!

07-Oct-14
Thanks everyone! Makes me hungry for some ribs. I will definatly try some of these recipies.

• Sitka Gear