Sandbrew 07-Oct-14
Tracker 10-Oct-14
sir misalots 10-Oct-14
LBshooter 10-Oct-14
JLS 10-Oct-14
azarchery 10-Oct-14
1boonr 10-Oct-14
06-Oct-14
I had a bull and his cows walk up the driveway this AM, if I get drawn for a tag next year and they repeat the performance is it ethical for me to shoot one off the porch?

There is no high fence involved, as the elk long ago knocked down the fence between the house and the national forest.

More important than being ethical, is it DIY?

Terry

06-Oct-14
if you had to feed the family !!!! I just checked the DIY code book it goes on to say if one of youre feet are not on a manmade object then yes its DIY ! U can hide under the porch !! best of luck

06-Oct-14
It's not DIY because someone had to type up your tag and send it out to you! You know the standards are just astronomical nowadays.

06-Oct-14
Who cares if it's ethical???

As noted, true DIY status is most important!

06-Oct-14
Ethical and most importantly there's no guide needed. Now if a friend shoots one off of your porch it's no longer DIY!

06-Oct-14
Only if you hand somebody your beer and say "Hey! Watch this!".... but that certainly blows DIY out of the water.... even if your buddy bought the beer...

Actually..... legal might require a certain distance from a public road as well..... so honestly, while clueless as to ethics as usual, I have no clue as to legal either..... which boiled down means I'd likely choot em..... =D

06-Oct-14
Did you build the porch or did you contract it? Some would say you would have had to build the porch AND have sawn the lumber yourself and fasten it together with hand hewn dowels, but I'd let you get away with just having built the porch yourself.

06-Oct-14
If it is a high fence he broke out of it is officially a high fense elk...If it is a wild elk that broke into a high fence, it is a wild elk.

06-Oct-14
My dilemma is that the wife woke up to the bull bugling, walked out on the porch and saw the bull and his cows down on the bottom of the drive. She opened the door and hollered at me to come look.

The bull and cows walked within 15 feet of us, but we were both in PJ's. Does it make it not a DYI that I was in PJ's and the wife woke me.

This has me really concerned as it happens a couple of times a year during the archery bull elk season. If not DYI I don't know if I could survive the derision and the mocking from the Bowsite.

Terry

06-Oct-14
Easy way to make this DIY. Just step out in the yard. Unless of course, somebody else planted that grass. Man, this is getting harder and harder !

06-Oct-14
TBM it is a 4 strand fence built in the 1800's to separate patented land from the national forest. The elk have been crossing it and knocked it down in the 50's

Terry

06-Oct-14
If your wife opened the door it's not DIY, you have to open the door yourself.

Shooting from your house is just like shooting from a really nice blind, I think it's ok.

06-Oct-14
Hang a tree stand off the corner post of your porch, by yourself of course , and you will be legal, ethical, and diy.... if it makes you happy it's ethical:)

06-Oct-14
did u make the PJ since wife found elk first and woke u it would not be a true DIY but falls under DIYWWIPJ

do it yourself with wife in PJ DIYWWIPJ heck I want in this elite type of hunting club !!

06-Oct-14
the question is not if it is a DIY elk kill or not, but more so why bother. anyone can kill an elk (or two) as proven lately by someone from huntsville. it's not like it is a turkey level accomplishment or anything.

06-Oct-14
It's so much more complicated shooting game off the porch these days. I miss the good ol' days before acronyms and the NA Porch Slam.

06-Oct-14
Turkey out of a blind is only slightly harder than elk. Turkeys blindless is much harder. I make all my own blinds so all my turkey hunts are diy...solo. the old school hunters that shaped me wouldn't think if double teaming a turkey. It was call n kill diy solo album or nothing for them.

06-Oct-14
Lmao! I would say not officially a diy because the wife acted as the guide in this scenario! Not to mention if the place is a rental then definitely not a diy. Hike a few yards beyond the forest boundry fence (alone of course and make sure the wife is NOT in view) then take the shot. Now you have a SOLO DIY elk kill acceptable for bowsite standards!

06-Oct-14
Bou', Who from Huntsville killed an elk lately? I'm low on elk meat. I'm sure I can go over, introduce myself and with their southern hospitality I can still add to my freezer. I'm sure they will share since I was not able to make an elk hunt this year. I will go over rather than send my wife so it will be a DIY.

06-Oct-14
I have Elk in my backyard off and on throughout the season and never once thought of shooting one,what is the challenge in that?

06-Oct-14
It's sarcasm, Sheldon.

06-Oct-14
legal, ethical and delicious. go for it.

06-Oct-14
Its called a "No Hunt". Don't need no permission to go, No gas money, no loading the 4 wheeler, no packing all the gear, no food to buy, no sleeping on the hard ground, No packing out meat, no freeze dried meals, no aches and pain, and no..............

06-Oct-14
Unless you surveyed the land and built the house yourself, there is absolutely no way this would qualify as a DIY hunt.

City is on the right track, although I think it would more accurately be a DIYWWIPJFHYDB.

Although if you are wearing Angry Bird PJs then I think this would put it in a completely different level. Particularly if you killed two, then it would be next level PJ hunting.

06-Oct-14
Here's my 2 step little formula when it comes to ethical, take it for what it's worth - one guy's opinion:

1. Is it legal? If the answer is "yes" see question 2.

2. How will I feel about this tomorrow? If the answer is "ok" to "GREAT!!!" then have at it.

I'm a simple guys and this actually works for me. Got few regrets.

06-Oct-14
HOLD IT!!!!! I just remembered that the ranch where I have my house was high fenced. Around part of the ranch, not my part, there were 10 foot high fences.

These fences were to keep deer and elk out, not in. Had to keep them varmints out of the bean fields and the gardens.

When my dad bought the land here on the ranch back in the early 50's I remember seeing the high fences. Boy that really muddy's the waters.

Terry

06-Oct-14
I think you need to invite LegoMan over to share whiskey over the campfire as you mull this dilemma over.

06-Oct-14
never confuse legal and ethical - two different things

06-Oct-14
Oh boy... just put down the keyboard and slowly step away before this thing gets out of control like ebola!!

06-Oct-14
there goes the hunt out of hunting let it walk go hunting. I have geese and ducks on the pond and deer tearing up the fruit trees but have never thought of shooting them no sport in it.

06-Oct-14
You guys are missing something. His pajama wearing wife called the elk to his attention.

If those were flannel armored pajamas, you gotta call it guided, perhaps even "canned".

If she was wearing those "why bother" pajamas, well then, fair chase! But still, hopefully not DIY.

06-Oct-14
Only if you're naked.

06-Oct-14
Go for it! But it's only DIY if you lose a few items in the grass, fling a few arras and and beat your chest a few times first

06-Oct-14
"It's sarcasm, Sheldon"

Okay, I just laughed out loud and woke my wife up!

He won't get it either.

07-Oct-14
If it's on the lawn you can throw in shooting it over a food plot....

this thing is getting complicated....

all the more reason to just choot em....

Good one wit da Sheldon reference...... heheheheheh....

07-Oct-14
If the property was high fenced to keep the elk and deer out, and now the elk and deer are inside - I'd say it qualifies for a landowner voucher!

And, since your wife is the landowner (Everything is theirs unless its broken right) - well not DIY anymore.

07-Oct-14
I say if its legal, go for it. My dad shot a really nice buck in his back yard. He had just come home from work and he was strolling through the back yard. It was shotgun season so he pulled the shotgun out and dropped him in the front yard.

07-Oct-14
If he even paused to think about rubbing one of my trees, then he'd have an arrow in him. Setting all humor asside, sure it is ethical. Just because the animal is in a location where it saves you gas, time, and alot of work, doesn't change the fair chase of the animal. It walked right into your yard, it can walk right out, it isn't being tied up. If you were sitting in the woods quiet without making calls and a bull just happened to walked by you and you shot it, pretty much the same thing, isn't it.

07-Oct-14
I have a bathrobe the is the exact color of my deck just for this purpose.

07-Oct-14
Before anyone can make a coherent decision you left out important details such as: what the FOC, KE, grain, fps of your set-up is and cutting dia. of your broadhead choice, not to mention if you are using KUIU or Sitka PJs. Will P&Y even allow this?

07-Oct-14
You folks are insane! Thanks for all the laughs!

07-Oct-14
Anyone see my pet bull elk? He got off his leash a few days ago. Last time he was seen he was walking up some guys driveway by with the first name of Terry with a few of his girl friends.. He has not been seen since.. The kids miss him. :(

07-Oct-14
Teeton - LMAO!

07-Oct-14
The fact that you feel compelled to ask the question indicates you already know the answer!

07-Oct-14
2x ollie Lewis

07-Oct-14
I think you have to meet a few requirements to be within the new definition of the TBM DIY definition.

1. Did you hear/find the elk yourself? 2. Did you make the clothes you are wearing? 3. Did you make the weapon you are using?

Really your only option is to wait nude on the lawn that you planted and then attack the elk you spotted and kill it by breaking it's neck with your hands.

TBM style is what I call that.

07-Oct-14
Just sleep with the window open and some shoot through blind mesh to keep out the bugs. That way you don't have to bother opening the door and you can hear him better also. Just make sure you shoot over the window sill. Wives don't take to kindly to broad heads embedded in the trim. :)

07-Oct-14

Sandbrew's embedded Photo
Sandbrew's embedded Photo
Not sure if this is what you meant by shooting one off the porch or not. I think arrow and broadhead choice for glass penetration would be critical.

10-Oct-14
I vote this as the "BEST" thread for 2014!

10-Oct-14
If its legal and you dont have an issue...go for it. You'll get a million comments on ethics, but really its your decision. There are certain things I will not do , and some I wont Its a personal choice and nothing to do with ethics or legality.

10-Oct-14
If you have a tag and you just want to put meat in the freezer then shoot away. If you want to hunt an elk then go hunt them, shoot from the porch is not hunting.

10-Oct-14
I can see that this went right over many folks' heads....

Reference Midwest's post if you're confused. :^)

10-Oct-14
legal????? in az. you can't discharge a weapon within a 1/4 mile of a occupied building. maybe a gray area, but ask how many people have been issued citations in gray areas!

10-Oct-14
to be "do it yourself" you would need several people who didn't draw tags helping you out!

• Sitka Gear