MathewsMan 10-Oct-14
DWarcher 10-Oct-14
SlipShot 10-Oct-14
SlipShot 10-Oct-14
elkmtngear 10-Oct-14
MathewsMan 10-Oct-14
DWarcher 12-Oct-14
08-Oct-14
OK, so I had to take last weekend off (remodeling a bathroom) and I will have to take next weekend off (momma will be in town for a visit), so I'm planning to hit it hard this Friday and Saturday. In you guys experience, what sort of calling strategies might work this late in the season? One thought I have, and it's worked a couple of times in past years, is to get get in close to a bull with a harem and squeal around like an upstart spike or raghorn.

08-Oct-14
While scouting for deer yesterday I had two bulls bugling below me.I would think a locator bugle would still work this time of year so you can sneak in on him.

09-Oct-14
bulls are still bugling in colorado where im at

10-Oct-14
Archery elk is over here in Colorado. For the last two weeks rifle hunters have been pouring into our community.

They drive, ride or cover everything weeks before, bugling sighting in rifles and walking or riding horses to get it all figured out.

The only thing that seems certain is that there are lots of hunters buggering the animals and most of them will bitch that they are all on the private, Jees really?

10-Oct-14

MathewsMan's MOBILE embedded Photo

Horn growth due to our wet year has been great

10-Oct-14
My taxidermist in Clifton has 3 bulls in over 410" out of unit 40. Those private RFW hunts can use rifles early.

10-Oct-14

Best one I've heard about was this archery bull taken on private close to here. Seems weird he was not seen more in that open country.

10-Oct-14
Wow! It's a shame he didn't have better thirds but I guess I would have shot him anyways.

10-Oct-14
Yeah, week thirds but what do you expect on these Colorado OTC tags.

10-Oct-14
That's a Wyoming bull.

10-Oct-14
Wow that bull came off the flattops!? I hunted the flattop in the early 90s and we never seen anything close to that. The heard bulls we saw were maybe in the 250" range.

10-Oct-14
As MathewsMan has said archery season is closed, but I usually take my sons and or friends for either 1st or 2nd rifle. I never bugle during rifle season, but I have had success doing some light cow calling. This technique especially works when still hunting.

!!WARNING!! you need be very aware of predators when using this technique. I have had bears come in to the calls and I’m sure it could bring in mountain lions.

Depending on how thick the vegetation is, I will give a few soft cow mews every 50 to 100 yards. I have found that there are two benefits to this, the obvious one is that I have elk respond and come into the calls the other benefit is that it covers the noise that you make as you move

10-Oct-14
That is a Monster for the Flat Tops!

Very rare to see a 300 inch bull there.

10-Oct-14
That long tines freak is either WY or a limited draw unit. I saw the 400" Piceance Creek OTC bull photo today.

12-Oct-14
Or a WY limited draw area. ;)

• Sitka Gear