SDHNTR(home) 13-Oct-14
ELKDIY 13-Oct-14
gil_wy 13-Oct-14
SDHNTR(home) 14-Oct-14
ELKDIY 14-Oct-14
S2 Bowstrings 14-Oct-14
tthomas 14-Oct-14
13-Oct-14
Researching Stone Glacier and just about ready to make the purchase. I was leaning towards a MR but came across SG and the weight of these packs have my curiosity going now. Just looking for any honest feedback(good or bad) on the packs if you have used them. Hauling Elk out and loads close to 100 lbs. Thanks for any feedback.

13-Oct-14
Researching Stone Glacier and just about ready to make the purchase. I was leaning towards a MR but came across SG and the weight of these packs have my curiosity going now. Just looking for any honest feedback(good or bad) on the packs if you have used them. Hauling Elk out and loads close to 100 lbs. Thanks for any feedback.

13-Oct-14
I have a feeling my next pack will be an exo-mountain gear pack.

13-Oct-14
Stone Glacier makes a fantastic pack. Don't think you will find many negatives with a STone Glacier. They are light and handle a load with ease. I'm a Kifaru fan, but really like the Stone Glacier's I've used as well.

13-Oct-14
Here is my review:

Last Winter I got pretty serious about doing some hunts in Alaska and one of the main requirements for Fly-Out operations is that you limit your gear to no more than 50lbs.

I started to do the math: why buy 8-10lb packs designed by Barneys and Mystery Ranch, where with new carbon fiber technologies there are more than adequate options in the 3-4lb range!?!

This started to lead me down the ‘ultra-light’ path, and through lots of research I found Kurt Racicot’s company “Stone Glacier” out of Bozeman, MT.

I wanted a pack that had: - Functional Load Lifters - Minimal weight (less gadgety pockets, zippers, elasticity stuff) - A load-shelf so I didn't need to carry the meat inside the bag itself - That was designed for hunting conditions, not rucking around military munitions - Could comfortably carry up to 100lbs if necessary

Kurt is a sheep-hunter – and it doesn’t take long to figure out that he is serious about traveling as light as possible. And it makes sense: when you spend days & weeks every year traversing Up/Down the mountainsides, crossing frigid rivers , glassing distant ridge-lines then moving to close the distance, you need to conserve every ounce of energy for the hunt in-and-of-itself, and it doesn’t make sense to waste that energy on hauling around additional weight.

I purchased the Solo Pack last March. Since that time I’ve backpacked in and hunted Bear (4days), Archery Elk (6days), Mule Deer (4days). Its also been used for packing Pronghorn, Roosie Elk quarters and a Coastal Blacktail.

Here is my review. Yes, it is a positive review. This is a great pack.

The Solo Bag + Krux Frame:

When the deliveryman handed over the box, it was comically light. SERIOUSLY, did I just buy some kind of flimsy daypack?!?

My initial concerns were to make sure I adjusted the straps correctly and fit comfortably into the hip-belt. I’m 6’1” and 215… size 36-38” pants (depending on brand) and barrel chested. Things just don’t fit me normally, unlike you skinny guys built for running and endurance, I’m built to stay in the fight.

I watched Kurt’s YouTube videos and got it loaded up with 40lbs of sand. Took the kids out for a stroller ride around the neighborhood and by the time I was back had decided the pack was a ‘keeper’. Its Light, Comfortable, and it moves with your body – the suspension system is years ahead of other pack makers and the weight rides evenly distributed across your hips.

In particular, I like the packs narrow design – it stays in-line with where you are headed and you don’t run into issues with it catching on branches or other foliage.

The 3300ci forces you to streamline your packing – and, don’t kid yourself about they style of hunting you will be doing with this pack. I’m talking barebones.

For a 5-day backpacking early-season hunt, I was just barely able to fit everything in (ex-puff layers which I didn’t need for this Sept. hunt).

The most I had the pack loaded up to this Fall was 80lbs, it carried that weight without any issues and I was as comfortable as to be expected.

Here are some of the accessories I purchased:

Lumbar Pad I purchased it, but quickly realized I didn’t need it. Me thinks most guys are overly sensitive to this, but the hip-belt structure that Kurt’s designed is really solid.

Access Bag I purchased this for my Spotter, Tripod and binos (when not around my chest). There is enough room for my First Aid Kit, some snacks and other items you might want to keep accessible.

Load Cell Dry Bag Functions as described. When its full of meat, it fits perfectly onto the load-shelf .

CONCLUSIONS Think about it this way: 1. Bush Pilot drops you off on distant gravel-bar and you proceed to hike into mountains. 2. Once at general location, you setup your camp and start spotting for Rams… 3. When desired quarry is located you leave basecamp to pursue your trophy. 4. Upon successful stalk, you tag and bag trophy and pack’em back to basecamp (will probably be raining and dark for this part of the hunt). 5. Rest for a day where you flesh, cape and rest up for final push 6. Pack up entire camp + Sheep Horns, Cape and Meat and head back to original gravel bar to be picked up by said Bush Pilot.

The Solo bag is designed for this kind of hunt and will get the job done.

While this is a more extreme example of what the pack can do, it's more than applicable for Western Elk and Mule Deer hunting too - in most situations guys are either Horse-Packed into drop-camps or hike-in on their own, then operate in a predetermined area where you know there is a water source, glassable country and decent game populations.

But be aware of the seasons and gear necessities. I use a synthetic puff layers and a Ultralamina Sleeping bag and need for room for later-season hunts. For this I just picked up the Terminus bag. I will be running the Solo bag for my Aug/Sept/Oct hunts, then transition to the Termimus for High-Country/Snow conditions.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Either way, the Stone Glacier system is my “go-to” for packs and packing.

13-Oct-14
Great Review! Thanks for your honesty. I have been in touch with Kurt and plan to give the Sky 5100 a shot.

13-Oct-14
My set-up was the Stone Glacier Krux frame with a Hill People Gear Highlander bag. Stone Glacier didn't have the bag I wanted for my style and needs (I'm actually still looking since the Highlander was just a little too small). I like putting camp in a dry sack and sandwiching between the bag and frame. Anyway, after getting my bull and my buddy's bull, I put the frame through it's paces and I couldn't be happier. It was very stable and the weight rode very well. Heaviest load was around 90#. The Krux frame is outstanding...

13-Oct-14
I love mine. Featherweight and carries a load well. One warning though, if you have a 34" waist, you might fall right between a M and L belt and fit might be an issue. It has been a little for me. Regardless, the customer service is world class and Kurt will do anything to make you happy. Really impressive.

13-Oct-14
Ironically enough I am a 34". Which belt do you recommend? Large or Medium? thx

13-Oct-14
Ha! Well, look at their sizing chart and you'll find that 34" is right in between a M and a L. For me the Med pads are just an inch or so too short, so the ends ride right on the points of my hip bones. Cinched down TIGHT with a heavy load, it puts pressure on those bones. Now keep in mind that I also need a lumbar pad, so that takes up belt volume. If I didn't it probably wouldnt be such an issue. So I tried a large belt and now the pads are just a touch too long so that I cannot get the belt tight enough with a heavy load. With either belt, it's never an issue really until the load exceeds 50-60 lbs.

Now this totally could be my body and they way my hip bones protrude. You may experience totally different results. Kurt will work with you all he can. Definitely try it out. The weight savings and design of the bags and frame are worth it. Worst case, you could always sell it later and you won't be out much money.

13-Oct-14
Thanks for the advice. Should be a big help. I have used the Icon by Kuiu And experienced a lot of weight riding my hips. I have heard the new pro is better but ready to try the SG.

I will run it all by Kurt and see if he can help with the fit.

Thanks again

13-Oct-14
Kurt will make it right for sure... I'm a measured 35" waist and the Large belt works with a little room to spare... but with heavy loads cinched tight, I was running out of room... FWIW this is with the standard belt not the 3-piece so I'm not sure if that makes a difference?

Also- I replaced the chest strap with a Mystery Ranch strap. Thought that it was the only weak part of the pack but I'm not sure that the chest strap is a real issue...

14-Oct-14
Kurt got with me again this morning. Said the medium 3 pc belt is a bit longer than the one piece I have. ELKDIY, this is likely what you'll need. Again, he's sending me one on his dime. This is the second time he's done that. Just awesome service and a commitment to getting things right. I'm again thoroughly impressed.

14-Oct-14
SDHNTR- good to hear. Kurt did recommend the 3pc and the medium belt. Thanks for the advice.

Got my order in today. Going with the 5100 Sky along with the Approach Bag. Looking forward to swapping the small and larger bags out depending on the hunt and day. Combining the two will take care of my 6-7 day pack in elk hunts and give me a nice day pack with the Approach yet have the capability of packing out some meat on the first haull back.

Hope to have the packs in a couple of days and look forward to posting an updated personal review. I have used Kuiu, MR and a couple other packs. Hope to have some good experiences with the Stone Glaciers.

Thanks again for the reviews. Honest reviews is what we all need.

14-Oct-14
Here's a review I wrote about the SKY 5100 in the 3500 Mode

For the past year, I’ve been in search of a pack that would adapt to my varied needs as a traveling bowhunter. Ideally, I was searching for one frame with a single bag or at the very most two which could be used as a day pack and a multi-day pack with meat hauling capabilities.

Here in Hawaii, we’re able to hunt year round, but many areas don’t allow for bivy hunting so I wouldn't need a large capacity bag for those trips. Something in the 3000ci range with meat hauling capabilities would be perfect for my island excursions.

For my upcoming Fall hunts in North America, I would need a pack that would be able to carry all my equipment to camp with the ability to spike out from there. Additionally, if I could use the same pack for short day trips while in the backcountry, I would have the best of both worlds.

After much research, I discovered that there were a few packs that fit the bill. With this type of investment, it took a while for me to make a decision. It was Stone Glacier’s customer service that finally sold me. Once I decided on which company to go with, it was time to select a specific pack. At first, I was torn between the SOLO and the SKY5100. I ended up purchasing the the SKY 5100 due to what I felt was a unique bag which was transformable. Upon receiving the pack, the first thing that I did was watch the instructional video for proper fit. After loading the pack with weight as advised, I threw on my pack to adjust the shoulder straps. The hook and loop attachment points made for easy and infinite adjustments. I was able to get the straps to fit perfectly given my torso height, plus I was able to adjust the straps slightly to sit closer to trapezius muscles rather than sitting closer to my shoulder. Next was adjusting my waist belt. Taking the advice given by the owner of Stone Glacier, I upgraded to the 3 pc belt. The medium sized belt fit my 29” waist perfectly. I adjusted the small foam insert (provided for the lumbar pad) until it sat comfortably in my lumbar region. After my initial adjustment, I took the weighted pack for a quick walk. At first, I only loaded the pack to 35lbs. I was impressed with how well the frame handled a minimum load. Being 5’6” and a 145lbs, I usually have a hard time getting my hunting packs to fit correctly, but this wasn’t the case with the Stone Glacier.

Next, I was curious to see the carrying capacity of the 5100 bag. I unloaded everything from my storage unit. Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, water filter, all my kits, extra clothes, food, etc... Everything fit, plus I had room to spare. It would be a while until my Fall hunts, so I put all my equipment back and focused on the day pack mode.

I jumped backed on the internet and watched the video on how to transform the bag from the 5100 mode to the 3500 mode. Removed the hood, adjusted a few of the top webbings and in a couple minutes, I had a front load day pack. On my island day hunts, I usually pack my DSLR, tripod, food, 3L water bladder, deboning kit, first aid kit, rain jacket and other accessories. All my equipment fit with ease. The front load with twin sliders was a great addition to this pack. I was able to access the top, middle or bottom of the bag with ease. Given that this pack has three compression straps on each side as well as two on the bottom allowed for a maximum or minimum amount of load carrying with no slop. After experimenting with the bag, I removed it to fiddle with the KRuX frame and load shelf. The frame also allowed for further versatility. I would able to pack additional gear in a dry bag, store my water bladder or carry out deboned meat. Given the design, I was able to use the frame stand alone or in conjunction with my bag. And once again, the compression straps on the pack and load shelf on the frame would secure everything fully in place.

Once I got accustomed to the features of the pack, it was time to take it into the field. For the first trip, I decided to take it into some steep, uneven and thick terrain. If I could maneuver well though this specific hunting area, I knew this pack would work out well for my applications. Given that I’m short, I was worried about the stays in the thick vegetation. I was pleasantly surprised that I only got hung up a few times. I believe that part of it is due to the fact that the top of the bag completely covers the stays and the frame moves well in conjunction with the twists of your body while ducking and maneuvering through low hanging branches and thick brush. Climbing was the next step. I was curious to see if the design of the waist belt would impede my ability to climb. I climbed some pretty steep stuff that day with no issues. Before heading downhill, I decided to see if I could shift the weight in my bag. I opened the front load, rearranged a few things and lashed everything down. Everything remained in place the entire trek downhill. My last test for the day was to see if I could shoot with the pack on. I drew my bow back a few times. Nothing got in the way of my bowstring. Fired a few shots with my blunts, uphill, downhill, crouched and kneeling. No problems there either! My last test for the Islands will be to haul out deboned meat. Only one way to find that out, hopefully it’ll be soon!

I’ve been out a few times after that and the more I use this pack the more I like it! Each time, I try something different in terms arranging the pack. Most recently, I’ve been playing around with my three liter water bladder. When I first got the pack, I hung it in the bag, but now, I’ve got it sitting in the load shelf, compressed between the frame and bag. In terms of organization, I still need to purchase a few more accessories as I only have the belt pockets and it sounds like Kurt’s working on a few additional items. Can’t wait to see what he has in store!

This is definitely one versatile pack that I’m extremely satisfied with. Hopefully in a couple months, I’ll be able to run the 5100 through it’s paces in the backcountry! I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted as it’ll be part two of my SKY 5100 pack review.

14-Oct-14
Nice review S2 and Lexington. Great minds think alike....and fools seldom differ. My grandfather always said that. Ha, that being said, I used the 5100 on two sheep hunts and a bear hunt. Great pack, and I enjoyed the extra 5 pound savings.

Have had as much as 90 pounds in it and with the load shelf. One should spend a bit of time learning how it goes together and follow the video on Kurt's website. I got a bit frustrated one day on the conversion when it was -10 and we were moving camp and my buddies were waiting on me. All good now :) but good to try it at home.

I guess I am either a fool or a great mind :)

• Sitka Gear