msbowhunter65 13-Oct-14
Franzen 13-Oct-14
ohiohunter 13-Oct-14
cityhunter 13-Oct-14
patdel 13-Oct-14
Shiloh 13-Oct-14
ryanrc 13-Oct-14
13-Oct-14
My dream has always been to kill an elk with a bow, unfortunately my job has kept me from being able to ever go. Now I have learned that next September I will be able to go on what may be a once in a lifetime trip. I have narrowed my choices down to either Colorado or New Mexico most likely using and outfitter, does anybody have any advice that might help my decision?

13-Oct-14
First establish a budget.

13-Oct-14
Yep. Budget and time are important. An outfitter can be a great way to increase your odds but is very far from a guarantee. Plenty of outfitted bowhunters never draw their bow during the hunt. Just like the DIY guys, some have a great hunt and others are disappointed.

If you have some time, doing a hunt on your own is pretty simple and some find it more rewarding. I would want 7 + hunting days to give yourself a decent shot at getting one if you are on your own. For a new elk hunter in unfamiliar territory, time is a huge success multiplier.

Also, are you after any elk, any bull or a big bull?

As for once in a lifetime, good luck with that :^) Its pretty addicting.

13-Oct-14
I have $7000 set aside that I could use if I had to. If I could come in under that it would be nice.

13-Oct-14
I would really like to get a bull at all possible, of course the bigger the better but I would be happy with any opportunity. I have 7-8 days available to hunt.

13-Oct-14
7k should get you what you want. Start researching outfitters. I wouldn't diy it simply b/c this is your first time out and I think there is more to be learned from an experienced hunter vs you going out and being unprepared in all aspects.

Start pricing and getting feedback on outfitters in the prime location for your states of interest. Looks like there are a few solid outfitters posting up regular pictures here.

Talk to the outfitters and find out how their operation works if you can use a draw tag or use their provided land owner tag... etc. Then decide how you will proceed.

13-Oct-14
I think you will get more for your money in NM, plus its closer to MS. I would look for an outfit that would give you as many days hunting as possible.

13-Oct-14
Hello Carty, Perhaps I might be able to assist you finding what you are looking for. I am a Bowsite sponsor ( Bow and Arrow Adventures ) We had another very successful September producing multiple P&Y Bulls for our clients again this year. You have a very realistic budget and a lot of very good advice thus far. If you are interested in finding out what we can offer you then please contact me and we can discuss the exact type of bowhunt you are looking for.

Hopefully we get a chance to visit.

Best regards, Scott Alberda

Bow and Arrow Adventures

13-Oct-14
Tag and fuel alone will run you $1600+, so maybe 3 DIY hunts for $7000.

13-Oct-14
wow 7000 Hire me lol im the man I promise for 7000 i will get u a shot or your money back !!!!!!:>

13-Oct-14
scoot It's once in a lifetime because I will never get the time off during the season again. My job doesn't let me take off that time of year it just worked out this next year I will be able to take off.

13-Oct-14
I think Scoot was going the investment route. Of course, with that route, there is always a chance to be in the red. ;^)

If I were in the "once in a lifetime" shoes and I was a guy who did outfitted hunts, that's what I would do. I wouldn't necessarily bank on spending the whole 7K, but you should get a decent trophy shot for sure at that price, IMO.

I believe you should be able to buy or draw a tag for N.M. in the outfitter pool somewhere, but I've never applied there so don't know for sure. Colorado will have some outfitters hunting in OTC units, so you can bank on that if necessary. Montana has had tags to buy for the last couple years, so if it came down to that or Colorado, that is where I would go. You are pretty much out on Wyoming, unless you want to get in one of the griz/wolf infested leftover areas.

The most important thing to determine is what kind of experience are you after. Do you want the experience of mountain hunting in difficult terrain with a great shot at a bull elk, or is killing more important, possibly shooting your bull in a farm setting? To me that is your first priority then you can go from there on outfitter selection (or not selecting).

13-Oct-14
Cityhunter, you set me up in a 5star lodge w/ 3squares a day for 10days and a guaranteed shot on a B&C bull or my money back..... Who do I write this check to??

13-Oct-14
Ohio yikes BC u need to call mossback and add some more Zerosssssssss lol

13-Oct-14
I think you could get yourself a new mexico landowner tag and an outfitter for that kind of cash. You may have options to do that in other states too. I'd check all options carefully.

Somebody above posted that a diy hunt would run you 1600 and I think that number is pretty close. Also unless youre lucky or pretty damn good it may take a few years to put it all together. That was my experience anyway.

Talk to Scott Alberda, do lots of research, find your best option. Good luck! I hope it all comes together for you.

13-Oct-14
From one Ms boy to another, I have dealt with Scott (BNAA Guy) who posted above and been very pleased. PM me if you want to talk. I have done several elk trips outfitted and DIY.

13-Oct-14
Use an outfitter. Spend a lot and give yourself the best chance at an animal. If you diy you may shoot an animal. But, you may not even see am elk! I am pretty confident with an outfitter on private land you will at least see and be close to elk. If this is your only trip, you don't want to waste your time. You can do a nature hike for cheap in the summer.

• Sitka Gear