buzz mc 19-Nov-14
Redman 19-Nov-14
808bowhunter 20-Nov-14
cityhunter 20-Nov-14
Birdman 20-Nov-14
Birdman 20-Nov-14
6x6 bull 20-Nov-14
14-Oct-14
We have been driving 1800 miles from Pa. to Colorado for the past seven years. This year we wrecked the truck and trailer in Ohio, and lost a day of hunting. My question is if we fly out to Colorado, how do we get our gear out there and if you harvest an elk do you donate the meat or make arrangements to get it home. By the way a freezer full of Elk meat is part of the reason we go.

14-Oct-14
Bummer about the truck hope everyone was ok.

This seems to come up every year. I like driving as I can bring what I want, leave when I want, and bring back everything. The only advantage I see with flying is you gain a couple days (if there is no flight problems) I have been renting a truck and putting all the mileage on that but you wont be able to pull a trailer. This year I rented a new Chevy 4 door 4X4 pickup for 18 days unlimited mileage for 600 dollars.

14-Oct-14
I would fly west for DIY deer or antelope....but can't imagine flying out for a DIY elk hunt.

14-Oct-14

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
I drive about 15,000 miles per year for my hunts! I like being alone and I like taking what I need and bringing home what I get! Had an Aspen tree hit my truck this year in a Utah wind storm but I'm picking it up today from the collision shop and heading to the Midwest in 6 days! Drive, drive! C

14-Oct-14
I prefer to drive. I can take all the gear I need including tire chains. The bonus is bringing all the meat home if we get lucky.

14-Oct-14
I drive from Ohio to south Texas most every year. I have driven to Newfoundland, Wyoming and Colorado several times. This year I will be driving to western Montana. Why? Because I can take what I want and bring all meat and trophys home. Also, flying with a firearm or even a bow is nerve wracking. In other words, I am in charge and in control of the travel. Not an airline.

14-Oct-14
I wouldn't fly if the tickets were free.

Use google to search bowsite flying as several guys have it down and have provided guidance in the past.

14-Oct-14

huntmaster's embedded Photo
huntmaster's embedded Photo
Drive...

We probably didn't need all of this stuff, but my buddy and I drove 28 hours from MI to Idaho for our 10 day hunt. We drove straight thru both ways this year and it really wasn't all that bad.

I couldn't imagine trying to fly on a DIY hunt. A guided hunt where all you need is clothing and bow might be a different story.

14-Oct-14
The only saver in flying is time. Driving from NH to any elk state is adding close to a week to the hunt/vacation. If you have the vacation time, go for it. You also need the patience to sit in the car that long!

Flying, you worry about things getting lost, delayed etc. I flew home with 220 pounds of elk meat. On the way out I had one carry on and one checked bag. Way back it cost me a few hundred bucks in luggage fees. I sweated it out in Chicago on a 75 degree day watching the boxes of meat sit in the sun waiting to be put on the plane for a few hours. I shipped the rack home with some clothes. It all worked out fine, but was stressfull.

If I have the time, I'd drive

14-Oct-14
I concur with huntmaster.....if going guided it is much more conducive to flying. If going DIY, where you might need more stuff....drive! Have done it both ways numerous times. Especially when getting meat, racks, equipment home and airlines are involved....I swear, the majority of airlines and counter peeps LOATHE hunters...especially of all places....DENVER!!!!

PaLongshank

14-Oct-14
I am a flyer. I love to fly vs. drive.

If you are retired then driving is definitely the way to go - especially if you are on a tight budget with no time limits.

If you are a working guy and time is limited 7 days to maybe 10 days max - flying IMHO is the way to go to maximize your time.

Since you are from PA it's actually better since you are likely on a UPS main route which makes shipping meat back very affordable (vs. bringing back on plane). When I use to hunt OK I could ship meat back via UPS to Boston for $1/pound. May be more expensive if you aren't near a major city.

You will not be able to bring EVERYTHING like before but that's OK.

Honestly, driving is cheaper but not nearly as cheap as many think. Once you add gas, wear-and-tear and paid vacation days lost and any food/lodging. It does start to add up.

Plus, this is my biggest reason I don't drive extreme distances is it's just not safe unless you can reduce the amount you drive everyday.

I have been on many guided and DIY hunts almost all flying and have had almost no problems (one time the airline lost my fishing rods but delivered them the same day to a lodge that was 100 miles from the airport in the mountains).

If you do your homework and plan accordingly flying can give you that extra day or two of time back hunting vs. driving.

14-Oct-14
Between driving to the airport, arriving 2 hours before flight time (always leave a cushion for potential traffic delays), general a minimum of 4-5 hours of flying time, I would have a good 8+ hours, and in many cases a lot more invested in a flight. Then rent a car and drive how far too your hunting area?

A day spent flying is generally a completely wasted day anyway. Pretty rare to fly out from home in the morning and hunt the same day.

It depends where you are coming from of course, but for me the reality is that flying saves me about a half day each way. That time is well worth being able to bring everything I need and all of my meat back without worries.

14-Oct-14
He's driving 1,800 miles Whip! Sounds like your drive is much easier.

That's 28-33 hours non-stop. That's easily 2-3 days of driving pending weather conditions unless you drive straight through.

In less than 24 hours you could leave your home, get on a plane and be hunting the next morning. That's easily saving 2-4 days of hunting round trip.

I use to leave NYC in the morning and be in a blind by that evening in Idaho!

Like I said if I was retired you could take 3-4 weeks and do that but most guys have 7 to MAYBE 10 days.

For me, no thanks on risk of driving that distance in a short period of time.

14-Oct-14
Charlie I see you use the poor mans Yeti coolers like I do. never could justify the expense. my $20 columns do just fine.

14-Oct-14

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
I drive even to Alaska. Years ago when we did are first hunts to Kodiak we flew. We could take up to 5 bags each at no extra charge. Them days are gone. Are last hunt there we drove to Homer and took the ferry to Kodiak. Then chartered a boat to take us to are hunting area. That way we had a 14 ft alum boat with a 15 hp motor we brought with us. We camped on a small Island in the middle of the bay. So we didn't have any big boys stop by are camp at night. We took my camper and one guy could sleep in the camper on the way up and back. tied the boat on the top of the camper for the ferry ride. This was my Az elk camp this year we had every thing we needed. and on the way we popped up the camper a seeped

14-Oct-14
Everytime I've gone to Colorado from Minnesota I've driven. I can't begin to imagine how we would get all of our stuff out there if we flew. With wall tents, camp stove, etc.

14-Oct-14
Been flying to Colorado for the past 22yrs.You figure out your gear and get away with 1 or 2 checked bags.We borrow packs for carrying meat and sometimes LOL have to pay for extra Bags for meat.I'm in the woods the first afternoon I leave Jersey.Never lost a bag from the airlines.I Only get 12 days to hunt,that being said if I had more time I would definately drive.

14-Oct-14

14-Oct-14
I prefer to drive. I like the freedom to bring everything I want and can come and go as I please. I hunt alone on most of the trips I go on and like the alone time.

14-Oct-14
Elkman +1.

14-Oct-14
"Everytime I've gone to Colorado from Minnesota I've driven. I can't begin to imagine how we would get all of our stuff out there if we flew. With wall tents, camp stove, etc. "

Backpackng tent, backpacking stove, backpacking.....etc

14-Oct-14
Sage, that's why I said in my first post that it off course depends on where you are coming from. My trip from WI is obviously not the same as his from PA.

Length of the drive is part of the decision. My only point was that one way or another, flying by itself is generally a wasted day. So a 2-3 day drive is 1-2 days longer than flying. A 7 day hunt still requires travel time on either side of it. Each individual has to decide what's important to them and whether saving a day or two is more important than the convenience of driving.

I also get the time limits that jobs, vacation time, being away from the family, etc. can cause. All things that each person must consider on what makes sense for them.

14-Oct-14
Utah to Rhode Island 40 hours driving time one overnight in a hotel! Gotta be tuff and being alone makes it doable! "I'm driving my life away":)

14-Oct-14
Love driving. I live in the middle of Florida so most of the time it takes me longer to get out of this damn state than to get to my destinations.

14-Oct-14
I love driving. I love to see the country. I enjoy that almost as much as the hunt itself.

I hate flying, haven't flown since my honeymoon 8 years ago

Bake

14-Oct-14
I drive around 1100 miles to Colorado. It would be be an awesome drive if I didn't have to go thru Nevada!

Nevada has no Soul :^(

14-Oct-14
Sorry Whip I was responding to the other folks.

14-Oct-14
I have flown likely 10 times from Syracuse, NY or ALbany to Denver, rented vehicles and driven West from there. I now drive.

1) I second Pat's statements about airlines; 2) the anxiety the airlines cause isn't worth it; 3) Bringing a handgun poses issues with the sirlines. You can get them on, but they cause super anxious moments with TSA; 4) I used to have meat sent home from a processor. Meat was cut, wrapped & frozen & boxed according to airlines weights & sizes. The costs of using UPS Next Day Air or Fed X have skyrocketed! Likely, this will cost over $600! My last bill for that was $485, about 5 years ago. 5) getting a rack home - have never killed a monster bull and have sawed the skull plates in half and packed them with other gear. 6) Can bring a handgun. Its in a case, locked and buried in the vehicle. And, my son is a police officer with a badge! Hopefully, that will keep us out of jail in Illinois! Yes, flying gets you there quicker, but with more stress (IMHO). What you save on the plane ticket ($400 - 500), venicle rental (split 3 or 4 ways &300 each) and shipping meat back home (If you're so lucky! $500); all this pays for the gas to drive with money left over.

Yes, vehicle accidents are a possibility, but after 2 trips to CO and 5 to Ontario, CA; I still plan to drive. "F" the airlines, especially now with the ebola monster on the loose. I don't want to be that close to that many people!@ And we thought giardia was bad.....

>>>>-------->

14-Oct-14
Afraid I'm a one trick pony. I do not fly any more ! I will not subject myself to the indignities required to get on an airplane. IT PISSES ME OFF ! Rant over, with apoligies to all.

I drove 60,000 miles per year for my job for the last 20/25 years and I hate driving all day, but I hate airports more, and ain't too crazy about the actual flying part either. Besides, you can't eat summer sausage and smoked cheese with your buddies and act like teenagers if you are on a damn plane.

14-Oct-14
I am a road warrior. After 1100+ flights for business, I more or less quit flying about 15 years ago and it was one of the the best decisions I ever made. My friends tend to fly out and meet me...LOL.

14-Oct-14
Thanks for your responses. It looks like the majority opt to drive over flying.

15-Oct-14
You guys are all spoiled.... =D

We usually have to fly for a day and then rent a vehicle and drive for another.....

Folks complain about gear threads..... when you can take the kitchen sink I'm sure it's no real issue..... when you have to get your entire camp for near two weeks down to two bags (including your bow case) and a carry-on.... it takes a bit of study... everything that packs down smaller, lighter, more efficient.... means you can take a bit more luxury... like an extra set of underwear...

WRT planes.... a big dinner before boarding, order two beers after take off. Guzzle said beers. Noise cancelling headphones, good music, shoes off, wool socks, warm comfortable clothes...... like a baby the next few hours until they tell you you have to put your seat back to a full upright position....

"Sir.... SIR.... EXCUSE ME SIR!....." huh? what? yeah, ok...Coulda sworn she was just flirting with me.....

travel is all what you make it.....

15-Oct-14
This past year I did a BCA on the cost difference between driving and flying to WY and ID. To drive from PA was going to cost me about $1100 in gas. I would have been driving by myself so I'd also need a few hotel rooms and there's food/other misc traveling expenses too. I guesstimated about $1500 worst case.

Flying, rental car, and gas were around $1000. The down side is you are stuck if you tag out and want to come home early. This was my last year on active duty so I I got two 50 pound bags for free with Delta (United gives you 3-75 pound bags). I lucked out flying back from WY (didn't hunt ID) early for only $250 more, but if I had left a day earlier or later that fee would have been over $500.

Driving definitely gives you more flexibility, but there is something else to consider. Going out West isn't a bad drive when you have a friend to help and you both are fresh. After a week of humping mountains you both are gonna be exhausted making the long drive back miserable and possibly longer.

Now that I'm retired and won't be getting the active duty airline perks I'll be driving out west vise flying.

15-Oct-14
I'm a flier, but can't say I enjoy it. The obvious best part is leave today - arrive today. The down side is moving my hunting equipment around (airport or shipping or rental car) and dealing with those logistics. I fly to Alaska every year and I take all my own gear for a 2 week diy hunt. Actually I ship some of it ahead of time in plastic totes, and the rest goes with me on the plane. It's a hassle, but any hunt will be that to an extent. I've done it so many times that I know how to make it happen with good reliability.

I could use some advice: I'm evaluating a January hunt to AZ for otc mule deer. If I fly, I would rent a vehicle there and plan to stay in a hotel. I could ship camping gear and go that route too. At issue is getting around on the ground there using a rental. Can I expect to find a suitable 4x4 with decent off-road tires and clearance to handle winter-time dirt and ranch roads? What would it cost for a solid week, even if it was available? My other option is to drive my own 4x4 diesel rig from OH and take camping gear along. Having never done it, I'm unsure of the hurdles awaiting.

I was planning a drive-to diy hunt in Hawaii, but had to cancel when I saw the cost of gas to get there.

15-Oct-14
Stemp, there's a guy with a business called Big Game Transport. He will truck your meat back home if you are flying. Holy Cow meat processing in Silt, I believe, recommended him.

I've driven from PA solo, and flown solo. I'd rather drive with a co-pilot.

15-Oct-14
Out of 7 trips to Colorado elk hunting, we drove once. NEVER again until retired. With limited vacation time, I'd rather spend 10 1/2 days hunting and 2 1/2 in travel, than 7 days hunting and 6 days driving. We fly, rent a SUV, bring 2 bags each of gear on the jet, (FREE)and have a comfortable DIY camp. (under $1800 trip) When we score the meat travels home with us on the jet and our gear ships UPS 5-day ground for cheap. No need to bring a ton of extra stuff. NO ailine problems yet.

15-Oct-14
Would always fly to save hunting days - but that's when there is no ebola to worry about. Now I'd probably drive.

15-Oct-14
Where are you guys coming from and going to that it takes 6 days to drive?

I have driven from MI to ID, NM and WY, this year was 1,800+ miles taking 28 hours straight thru. At most this is 3 days.

Another thing to think about is most rental cars and trucks are not insured once you leave the main roads.

15-Oct-14
I think I'll drive from now on if possible. Had a Coues hunt this fall in AZ, bow didn't show up from American Airlines. Thank goodness for shipping a back up bow a week earlier, or I would have been SOL for 2 days of a 5 day hunt. Still only had minimum, no headlamp, no knife, etc. Driving I won't have that problem, just have to plan travel better and more efficient to make up for the time loss of driving.

16-Oct-14
Huntmaster: 6 days is round trip. If it's 1,800 miles each way you are looking at 4-5 days min. round trip to do it safely. Of course guys do it faster but then the stats will tell you that your probability for really bad things happening rises significantly.

I can get on a plane this morning and be in the woods by this evening - rested and ready to go.

I love to fly and there is no safer and efficient way to go for long distance hunts.

Is it like getting a massage? No. Neither is driving 28 hours in rain, snow or sleet!!!!

Will an airlines lose your bow? Maybe. In all my trips it's never happened to me. Maybe one day. Then again, you get hit by another car or you have mechanical issues I guarantee you will lose a day or more of hunting.

BTW If you have all the time in the world and can take your time getting there driving is a great option.

16-Oct-14
6 days of driving is round trip. Boston to Colorado is 2200+ miles one way, 34 hours of drive time NOT including toll stops, traffic jams, accidents, gas stops, food stops, bathroom breaks etc. adds to be much more time, thus 3 days each way. Gas would be $900 + for the trips plus gas used there. Plus there would be 2 additional motel stops @ $80-100 nite each way. So $1000 gas, $30 tolls, $500 6-nites motel, plus tags and food costs for driving/hunting a total 13 days. Verses $250 airlines, $22 airport bus, $500 SUV, $100 gas, $180 motel, plus tags and food costs for flying travel 3-days and hunting 10-days. I'll fly thanks

16-Oct-14
I'm a night owl so I like to drive at night when there's no traffic and I won't get sunburned. I usually leave early evening, get a few hours of sleep from 0200-0600, and still get to my destination the next day with plenty of time to set up, plus I'm tired enough to go to bed by 2000 hrs.

If you have 2 people, one person can sleep so it's easy to drive straight without stopping.

I don't understand these motel costs, gas costs, and days wasted. Sleep in your car, drive a vehicle that gets decent gas milage, and drive straight. I did Hamilton, MT to Idyllwild, CA - over 1200 miles - in less than a day and a little over $150 in gas in the Lezbaru.

16-Oct-14
We flew to Tampa on family vacation and it took longer than driving.

16-Oct-14
flown a lot of times to new zealand to go fly fishing no more flying for me now can't afford it any more! Will be fishing in alaska from now on. I like to drive if possible I have no problem driving for two days without sleep just rest room stops and gas. Most times I send my hunting stuff or fly fishing stuff ahead by UPS or Fed Ex no more hassles at the airport!

16-Oct-14
I do exactly as Idyl....minus the Lezbaru.

16-Oct-14
regardless of how far you drive the drive out is on adreneline and the drive back is on fumes at best. some start dreading the drive back they are staring at halfway through the hunt

16-Oct-14
I was about to say the same thing Bou. Love driving there, hate driving home.

When I do fly I like to fly into an airport a fair distance from the hunting area, rent a car and take a day of seeing the sites on my way to camp. And I might fly out of a different airport so I see more of the country. I think of it as scouting and looking at what's out there planning for the next adventure.

16-Oct-14
Sad life you have Charlie but looks like you managing-- if you fly it will cost you $65.00 for the first two carry on bags you check including your carry on-- then $125.00 for every 50# bag or chest there after--- I had 4 50# ice chest I brought back with elk meat--plus I squeeze some in my carry on and the two check in bags-( one carry on for clothes n one bow case)--- you can also UPS your meat back in 100# chest with dry ice-- that was going to cost me $350.00 for 200#s n arrive in 2 to 3 days-- I just chose to bring it back with me on the plane n not worry about it getting lost in space or spoiling -- UPS grd 5 to 6 days was going to cost about $250.00-- from Co. to Louisiana--hope this helps

19-Nov-14
I gave up flying 30 years ago. I've driven 4 times from NY to CO, and WY. I also took Amtrak twice to Denver, just as long as driving but I can read a book, take a nap, and just relax.

19-Nov-14
Fly, for all the reasons Sage Buffalo mentions. It's relatively stress free and fast.

19-Nov-14
Landed in Jackson Hole at 12:30, rented car, drove 2 hours to camp, went hunting at 4:30, killed B&C moose at 5:30, caped and quartered out that night, took to processor next morning, home by 3:00pm next day, back to work to make more money and time for the next hunt. Would have burned 4 more days by driving and accomplished nothing!

20-Nov-14
I come from Hawaii so I have no choice but fly. I wish I could drive. Flying is fine to get to elk country but then you have to rent a vehicle. Im on a budget and end up renting a compact that barely fits our gear for 2 and is limited to places it can go. You can rent an SUV or truck but it costs an arm and a leg. The worst part of flying is if you plan on killing an elk. This year we went 2 for 2 on bulls which came out to over 500 lbs of meat. We shipped our bows and racks home on the slow boat which takes 2 weeks and costs another $125. We were able to bring 2 50lb coolers each home as our checked bags. A total of 200 lb of meat came home and we donated over 300lb. You can pay a lot to get more but it ends up being more expensive than any meat around. We had a 12 day hunt and tagged out early. It was too expensive to change flights, so we just camped and waited for the day. If we drove, we would have been home early with freezers full of elk.

20-Nov-14
I drive NY to WY 2200 plus one way I sleep in the rig to save hotel fees !! Flying works fine for certain species or maybe hand held elk hunts :> !!

Rental rigs are not going to get you into the back country !!!

20-Nov-14
Hey Big Dan , just wondering what you do with all those fence posts in your Arizona camp picture.

20-Nov-14
Hey Big Dan , just wondering what you do with all those fence posts in your Arizona camp picture.

20-Nov-14
I love the drive. It might take longer but I get to stop and look at anything that I want. I even find it enjoyable to drive through western KS on the way. We seem to stop at the same truck stops and fast food joints every year. It never gets old.

• Sitka Gear