sbschindler 16-Oct-14
steveo 16-Oct-14
Tracker 16-Oct-14
midwest 16-Oct-14
bowhunter 17-Oct-14
SDHNTR(home) 17-Oct-14
LaGriz 17-Oct-14
15-Oct-14
I have a 6 man Alaskan Guide tent that I just listed in the Bowsite classifies for $250, retail $450. Once I sell this I plan to buy a little "bigger" base camp style tent. What are your thoughts/suggestions? Generally we bivy in with our lightweight gear, but occasionally we have had the opportunity to spend more time in a base camp. The 6 man isn't quite big enough. I was thinking along the lines of a Bighorn, Alkanak, or Davis?

15-Oct-14
I just bought a 12x14 Wall from The Tent Shop in ID this year. Used it for 10 days and it was a palace for the two of us. It would fit four comfortable.

With the angle kit from them and buying the poles from a local electrical shop, I have $1,500 into the tent with floor and fly. If I take care of it, it should last me a lifetime.

I choose to go with a wall tent over the Alaknak and Bighorn based on the long term durability of canvas. The tent can be erected in 30-40 minutes by your self no problem. Goes up quick.

I figured if I ever wanted to pack it in deep, I would just set it up with a ridge pole and that would be as versatile as anything of similar weight.

15-Oct-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Love my Alaknak, Les. Perfect for 2 or 3 guys. Add the vestibule for extra room and a cooking area. I got the stove with mine for free but a Buddy Heater works great for warming it up in the morning with less hassle.

I use a smaller Kodiak now for solo hunting. Quicker setup and take down but the Alaknak goes up pretty dang easy.

15-Oct-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

15-Oct-14
For me, a Canvas Wall Tent is the only way to go for a base camp. Mine is a 14' x 16'inturnal frame, Reliable Brand, I love it.

Kevin

15-Oct-14
My hunting buddy has the 12x20 Aklanak and I have 10x12 Davis, there are pro's and con's to both, price wise they are close, wall tent just a bit more form comp-size.

Cabelas Aklanak, Pros:light weight, easy to set up, an airy feel, good construction.

cons: not very quite in the wind, not as insulated as canvas, always afraid to damage/but very durable. limited to what you can buy.

CANVAS wall tent(Davis),Pros: very quite in the wind, good basic insulation, cooler in the sun, can have them built to the way you want it. Not as worried about the tent.

Cons: heavy, little more effort to put up(internal frame), not a real airy feel, unless you have many windows or doors at both ends.

Personally I would go with the canvas wall tent if weight is not a concern, because you can have it built to your liking, and you can have repairs done relatively fair priced, and if you loose poles/frame you can use the timber in your hunting area in place of metal frame. I have the internal frame.

15-Oct-14
If you liked the Alaskan Guide, check out the 12x12 XWT.

16-Oct-14
Awesome, thanks guys. Undecided yet. I will look through the "Annual Elk Camp" thread pics also.

16-Oct-14

deadeye's Link
I bought this tent this summer over an Alaknak. I have spent a lot of time in the Alaknak, its ok but the sweating sucks. This spike tent is great, only draw back is that it is really heavy. I bought a long narrow tarp and made a vestibule that worked really well. Wish I had taken a picture of the setup to share.

16-Oct-14
After looking at several makes and models I went with a Davis tent. One of the biggest reasons I went with Davis tent was the quality of the canvas they use and the workmanship of the stitching seemed to be way better than their competitors. Not to mention their service is awesome. last year I put a hole in one of the doors with a steel nail traveling at high speed; that is whole other story. Luckily they are close to where I live and this year I took my tent in for a last minute repair. They actually stop production and repaired the hole. I'm not saying they are going to be able to do this every time, but it was great that they were able to do it this time.

16-Oct-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
My Kodiak setup.

16-Oct-14
a wall tent is really what you need, I had the Alaskan Guide model and used it for 20 years, its a good summer tent but it don't breath well and it gets very clammy when its cool outside and you cook inside, even making coffee , I now have a wall tent and a SpringBar and both are as good as it gets, For cooler temps and cooking inside the tent Canvas all the way, Nylon just don't hack it..

16-Oct-14
Just finished 10 days in my Alaknak 12x12. No problems but it does condensate in constant rain even with the wood stove running. No enough to be a problem but its there. The 12x12 is a palace for 2 guys with cots but would be crowded for 3. A 12x20 is a better choice for large groups. It is light weight easy to transport and one person can set it up. Good luck in you choice whichever.

16-Oct-14
I had a wall tent but it was just to much for work setting up for short hunts. I sold it and bought SPRING BAR. It is one of the best investments I have ever made. I can set it up solo with no problem.

16-Oct-14
Funny, I've never seen the condensation problem in my Alaknak. None, ever. I understand the old style didn't have the venting the newer ones have. Maybe these are the ones you guys are having problems with? I also never cook inside the tent. Only in the vestibule and with the window open.

17-Oct-14
I purchased a nice used wall tent in great shape on Craigslist last year. It is a 12x14 with a heavy duty fly. I built an angle kit and cut EMT for the internal frame. It is heavy but it is comfortable even with the rainy days. I can put it up by myself with the angle kit.

17-Oct-14
I have a Bighorn II and love it. It's nice without the center pole of the Alaknak. Just buy a better stove. The kit stove Cabelas sells with it doesn't hold heat very well.

17-Oct-14
I own and like the 12 X 12 Alaknak w/vestibule.

If you go with a wall tent consider the"blend" tent an use a rain fly over the canvas roof. This will hold heat better than my single wall and be cooler in the sun. I would opt. for an extended fly to act as a porch for gear or cooking. Almost went that route but got in on a discount for the Alaknak. Consider a 3-dog or 4-dog stove before you choose another brand. If I had it do over again, I would go with the 3-dog or a 4-dog titanium model. All that said I consider the Alaknak a good find. Have no regrets on the purchase. Good quality, easy to pitch, and the tent handles the wind.

• Sitka Gear