adam 16-Oct-14
idacurt 16-Oct-14
cityhunter 16-Oct-14
Quinn @work 16-Oct-14
Charlie Rehor 16-Oct-14
MattBoyd 17-Oct-14
SDHNTR(home) 17-Oct-14
16-Oct-14
Heading to CO (Rocking R Ranch) for my first elk hunt tomorrow. Also have a muley tag. Outfitter says I should have a crack at a pretty big muley. I'd like to get on an elk around the 300 inch mark. I think we hunt Unit 70. Really pumped, been checking out all the elk/mule deer threads here on bow site and its just getting me that much more amped up. Hopefully my Texas lungs will adjust to the elevation quicker than they did on my mountain lion hunt.

So what should I expect having never elk hunted before?

16-Oct-14
Expect nice weather for the next five days. You might still hear some bugling early and late. With the weather, critters will move early and late and be bedded up the rest of the day.

Your guides will take care of the rest. Have a good hunt and shoot straight.

16-Oct-14
You can expect to have the time of your life!! Give us an update when you return.

16-Oct-14
You will have a good time-- lodging n food awesome -- hold out for a good elk-- your lungs will do fine -- just go at your pace-- if you need to stop n catch your breath do so-- I saw a really nice muley n could have shot, if I had a tag-- go and enjoy-- keep us posted--gluc

16-Oct-14

Rocking R's embedded Photo
Rocking R's embedded Photo

Rocking R's Link
Matt,

Looking forward to meeting you. We have seen some really nice bucks the last few days so hopefully they cooperate starting Saturday. Here's a pic of a decent buck we saw last night on the ranch. Sorry, the photo was taken will a cell phone and is not very good. Tough to see his points but he's a decent buck.

16-Oct-14
That's a great photo!!!

16-Oct-14
Good luck from a fellow Texan !

16-Oct-14
Clutch summed it up perfectly, you'll have a great time.

16-Oct-14
I bet you will book your hunt for next year before you leave. Good luck!

16-Oct-14
dont know what size elk live in them parts a 300 inch on private should be a good goal to go for

16-Oct-14
Good luck. The weather looks pretty good well into next week.

First elk hunt and you're looking for a 300" elk in an OTC unit? I bet you shoot the first decent 200" elk you see and still be happy. Just have fun.

16-Oct-14
You'll have a great hunt and you'll know when it's right! I did see 4 elk while there last month right around 300 inches! Good luck! C

17-Oct-14
Sweet, at the airport now, thanks for the info everyone.

17-Oct-14
I'm with Quinn. This is OTC CO people. A 300" there is like a 360-380 in other better draw units. They aren't everywhere. Put the first legal bull on the ground and then move up from there in subsequent years. All elk with a bow are trophies.

Correction: now that I think about it. If going now, you must be gun hunting. You can be a bit more selective, but 300 is still TOP end for that region.

• Sitka Gear