R. Hale 23-Oct-14
jax2009r 23-Oct-14
badlander 23-Oct-14
stealthycat 23-Oct-14
IveGotGas 23-Oct-14
Bou'bound 23-Oct-14
BowhunterDal 23-Oct-14
19-Oct-14
The Tree Stand I have been setting in Two days ago I watched a truck turn off the highway on the road that my stand is on. I watched the truck till it got to the steep hill were I park my rig. And walk up to the stand. In about 15 min. I could see a guy walking up the trail coming up to the tank I was setting over. At 50 yds he stopped and glassed me setting in the stand. I put my Arms up in the what the hell mode. He then walked into the woods were the elk come from when they come to drink. I got out of my stand and walked back to were my rig was at he was parked 10 ft from mine. I was going to leave him a note but I had no pen. So I just left. That was two days ago. At 4:30 this evening I went back up to set my stand and his truck was parked were it was the other day. So I headed out for my stand. When I got there he was in it. I thought about having him get out of my stand and taking it with me. But I just walked back to my rig and went back to the cabin. In the morning I'm going to pull that stand and not leave it for him to hunt the last day. What would you other bowsiters do? The stand is on Public Land. Another thing is he has Idaho Plates on his rig.

19-Oct-14
I would not be happy and would probably ask him to get down so I could take it. If you leave it on public land you really have no other recourse ... other than just letting him use it.

19-Oct-14
Dan you are a better man than me. I would have had him get sorry butt out of my stand and haul it home. I'm still young and dumb enough I might have even tried to get my ass kicked. How can a person think it is alright to sit in another hunters stand? On the bright side he didn't steal it yet.

19-Oct-14
Him hunting right next to you was bad enough and showed zero class. I don't care if it is public land. There is this thing called respect. I would have definitely took my stand with me after he got his butt out of it first.

19-Oct-14
Good for you Dan! Get your stand out and just leave. Confrontation at our age should be avoided if possible. A guy who sits in another guys stand is a lazy hunter who will likely not fill his tag. He also lacks confidence in finding his own spot (or he would have hung his own stand there) which is a big reason we bow hunt! I hope you have a back-up spot and get a shot! Good luck! C

19-Oct-14
I would have asked him WTF do you think you are doing in my stand? Get the hell out cause I am here to take it down and go home.

19-Oct-14
Though we are bow hunters we are first sportsmen... to me that means respect for the game and fellow hunters, that gent showed no respect for you Dan... but at the end of the day who is the true " sportsman"?

19-Oct-14
Come and hunt public land in maryland or pennsylvania. That is mild what he did to you compared to what people do here. And we are just hunting whitetails and turkey. You probably did the right thing to avoid a confrontation. I would not be so level headed.

19-Oct-14
I will never understand that mentality. Even if he got an Elk how could he be proud?

You took the high road.

19-Oct-14
Next year fold the platform up and toss a padlock on it. Stand is still in the tree but you cant sit in it unless its unlocked.

19-Oct-14
Yes u did the right thing by way of the law goes But what i have leaned is people need to be taught a lesson and its sad to say this lesson is not with a friendly talk .

This guy will continue to do such lowlife acts unless his antics are stopped !!!

19-Oct-14
Leaving a stand on public land is an invite for an idiot to sit. Im not excusing his actions, Im just saying that not everyone exhibits the standards and morals that some hold. I had a buddy put one up and the next morning it was gone. I've see other ones tampered with to where they were unsafe. Its a big risk.

I have a relative that if he sees one on public land he destroys it. Not excusing that also. Just saying its a dangerous practice.

19-Oct-14
I would not use another hunter's stand but on public land hunting spots cannot be reserved for only one hunter - which is what hanging a stand and leaving it is. Here in PA it is a common practice for folks to hang stands and leave them all year on public land, in effect telling everyone else to stay away, even thought they may only hunt from them a few times.

19-Oct-14
You could have left and taken your steps with you

19-Oct-14
Dan, I'm very thankful I've never ran into this situation. If I ever do, I'll do exactly what bb suggests. I'd ask him to get out of my stand first. If he refuses, the steps will start coming off. In the future, I'd do what Don K posted. Unfortunately, either way I'd probably have to find a new place anyway, since if the guy is that big of an ass, he'll probably do his best to ruin any future hunts in that stand.

19-Oct-14
I have no doubt I woul confront him about sitting in my stand...and certainly stay there with him until he got out of it. But in my opinion a location on public land cannot be 'reserved' for an individual because they hung a stand there...but that does not give anyone the right to sit in someone else's stand. He would be within his rights to hunt the area, first come first serve for the morning or evening, as it is public land....but not in your stand.

I have had issues with people hanging 5 or 6 stands in the woods to 'reserve' the location for them and them alone, but have not yet had someone sit in my stands (that I'm aware of) although I have had my stand vandalized. But I hunt primarily private land and know everyone hunting it.

19-Oct-14
The man is either brazenly selfish, or completely unaware.

I would have talked to him to determine which it was. Your day and hunt are ruined anyway. Maybe somebody told him stand jumping was normal and acceptable, kind of like being first in line at the movies. If he doesn't vacate your stand, then I would have sat nearby and had many loud, animated cell phone conversations with my imaginary friends.

19-Oct-14
I'd say that 85% of people have NO MORALS! In the last 10 years especially things have gotten worse and no sign of improving! ...you just can't fix STUPID! ... but oh how I'd like to try sometimes!!

It is sad when 'a loner' bow hunter has to put up with "S" like this. I imagine most dedicated bow hunters have some horror stories such as this. God knows I have quite a few .......

What would I do? .... (good question)

19-Oct-14
In all fairness to that other guy, if I ever happen upon to Big Dans hunting spots, I may be inclined to hang out for awhile......

:)

19-Oct-14
Public land + hang on stands, bad combination. Hang ons just let others know where you are hunting, invite others to set up on/in your spot and invite stolen equipment. The other side of the argument is when you are not in your stand its there for anyone to use, public property right? You wouldn't leave your wallet on the counter at the local walmart? For the few extra minutes it takes to use a climber, you are much better off.JMHO

19-Oct-14
You did the right thing. I use climbing sticks. I pull them every time I leave the stand. Keeps out the lazy ones.

It is worth a note on a holes windshield!

19-Oct-14
Dan, you did the right thing. When you pull your stand leave him a note that says though this is public land, actually using another persons tree stand is not a good practice. I have seen that situation end up in loaded guns and close to an all out shooting match.

If a guy beats you to a public land spot so be it but using a stand set by someone else is going to far.

Good luck tonight Dan.

19-Oct-14
I have a lock and chain on both the ladder and the stand. And I didn't have the keys with me. I will pull it later this morning. And its on Block management Land its open to the public. He told me he had a cow tag. There has only been one small bull using it for the last few weeks.

19-Oct-14
Dan you probably did the right thing but that really sucks Lewis

19-Oct-14
If he's dumb enough to sit in a stand that's not his you most likely are going to have problems since you're a nice guy. I would pull the stand and hunt another spot.

19-Oct-14
Public land or not, I can't understand why a guy would think its OK to sit in someone else's stand. No class. I think you did the right thing Dan.

19-Oct-14

19-Oct-14
You should have told him to get out of your stand

19-Oct-14
This guy is the same type of person that ruined ID antelope season and made it a draw hunt.

They are not only lazy but they are also the guy who says, "I'm too busy with family and work so if someone has a stand here it must be good."

Problem is outside of hunting they seem normal which makes it even worse.

Basically, they feel they're time and life is more important than yours.

Sucks but the only thing you can do is move.

19-Oct-14
I'm not sure I agree with that. I get out in the woods and scout. I find places that look good to me. Then I go out and find someone hung a stand (or more) in the area. Doesn't mean that I'm lazy or too busy to do anything. And it sure doesn't mean that I think my time is more important than anyone's.

On public land here in PA I wouldn't hang a stand and leave it. I may put one up the night before and take it down the next day when I'm done or, when I do hunt from a stand, I pack in a climber.

19-Oct-14
It's hunting in the fast lane. It's never something I had to contend with growing up in the southeast, but In Arizona I have found people in my stands on a few occasions. If they are going to hunt a water hole, wallow, or travel corridor I want to hunt I would rather them sit in my stand than put their dumb blind right on the water, directly upwind, and in the general line of travel of the elk. Usually this happens early in the hunt and it's not something I have to worry about latter in the hunt.

What pisses me off is when one of my climbers is stolen. Lockons are not a target. You can leave those unlocked for whatever reason.

19-Oct-14
I personally feel like I don't have any more right to hunt an area than anyone else on public land. It's just the way it is. If someone wants to put a stand beside mine or sit in my stand it's alright. I usually have more than one option. It's usually a new hunter that actually chooses to sit in someones stand anyway. This option for them is usually a good way for them to realize some success that they wouldn't have had otherwise and that's a good thing for hunting.

19-Oct-14
I'm back at camp the tree stand is in the basement. In the last few years I have noticed that things have changed out in the woods. This year I had some one take the cards out of two of my trail cams. Then in Az some one took Blacktail Bobs ladder stand. I think they just took it down and threw it in the tank myself. And I would bet the farm it was the guys that put up the popup blind on the tank. There is a new bunch of guys out there with no class. And I never packed a gun on my hip till last year. I don't go anywere with out it.

19-Oct-14
I would have calmly said I am heading back home now and came to get my stand so you need to come down. I am a prick and though I wouldn't have said so I would have took the stand just to jack up his hunt for being such a tool!

19-Oct-14
Ylpmin

I vehemently disagree this is good for hunting. i think that is a stupid position to take.

19-Oct-14
Many years ago before I purchased a climber tree stand I was hunting an area for two weeks. One day while glassing and moving I noticed a ladder tree stand and there wasn't anyone in it. I kept an eye on it and for 4 days no one ever showed up to use it. Finally, in the morning I decided that I would climb up the thing to see how it felt.

Being up there didn't feel very good to me. Don't you suppose about 20 minutes later a guy and his wife show up. I asked them if this was their stand and they said yes. I immediately got down and explained the situation to them and I walked to another area.

I did purchase a climber and the first year I was in it a big buck walked right under me and I was too scared to let go of the tree. I still get shaky being up in the air but I have arrowed a couple of bucks from it.

19-Oct-14
The guy never seen I was armed it was under my jacket. Having it with me kept me from blowing my top. If it ever comes to the point of taking it out of the holser it will be used. I hope it never happens.

19-Oct-14
He would have 4 flat tires

19-Oct-14
that guys one of the many asswholes you will find in the woods, take your stand down , then take a shit on his hood of his truck!

19-Oct-14
Good job Dan ! You are exactly right in that carrying a handgun makes you act a little more calm than not. I have been carrying daily for years, everywhere I go. Tends to make you think about the bigger picture. Still, it's just chickenshit to climb in someone's stand if you know they are frequently hunting there, and , IMO, classless if you don't know. Now, if as someone stated last week, there are saplings growing up through it, climb aboard. Just make shure you don't die when you hit the ground.

19-Oct-14
bigdan, I would have asked him to get out of the stand, and set up his own stand, and if he refused there's not much you can do except call the sheriff. If you don't want someone in your stand, lock it shut, or make it so no one can get into it.

few yrs ago a friend here in Co. had a guy get into his stand, the guy fell and got hurt ( not sever) and sued him and won, $275K from his home owners insurance, you are liable for anything you own and leave on public land, even if you post it. always remember, you can sue the Easter bunny if you could serve him papers.

19-Oct-14
I wouldn't have set a stand next to a road and a tank so I wouldn't have to deal with stuff like that.

19-Oct-14
Dan you can have the breaks, after 40 years I've had enough. you can only hunt your area if you draw, and like you say its not getting any better. Too few elk too many hunters. the prairie can only handle one hunter for every two miles.

19-Oct-14
Funny this came up just two days ago i was telling my friend i had a great idea for a new tv series called Treestand Wars !!! all about guys fighting in the woods stealing cameras and stands . Dan at least u got your stand. In the east u would have walked to a empty tree minus your stand !!

m Treestand WARS !!!

19-Oct-14
I had this happen to me one of my best deer hunting spots on private land it was the Nabors son 40 year old not a kid. the funny part is they will not let me hunt on them . I took a gallon of bleach and spread around about 50 yrds away in a circle around the stand then told him to hunt there all he wanted. then got the ok to squirrel hunt on him after gun season.

19-Oct-14
You did the right thing by not getting confrontational.. Remember, you have NO control over other people's actions. Just stay the course and hunt hard. This is what YOU can control.

19-Oct-14
There is no such thing as a tank with out a road near it. And the only tree with in 100 yds of the tank is were my stand is at. I'm going to hunt another stand tonight for the last day of the season. If someone is in it When I get there I will take it down tonight I have my keys with me.

19-Oct-14
Devil's advocate here, and trust me I would never have done this. Maybe this guy had hunted this spot before and somehow considered it his? You keep saying your stand and your spot, it is public right? Or maybe even though he was from out of state he had some first hand info on where to hunt that particular piece of public land. Just cause you have a stand in the tree doesn't mean you claim that spot for the year.

Again playing devils advocate here. I wouldn't have sat in the stand even though it was public, and I probably would have talked to you and tried to work out where else I could hunt without stepping on your toes.

Best of luck

James

19-Oct-14
I would have said " excuse me sir why are you using my stand? If you would let me I would be happy to show you how to find elk set up a good stand location and even do some calling."

I doubt he would take you up on this offer but at least he should feel guilty that he took advantage of a nice guy and maybe just maybe he might change his attitude about life and become a human being instead of being such an idiot!

19-Oct-14
In Iowa any stand on public hunting is first come first serve cause it is public land. Just cause you find the spot and set a stand doesn't meant its your spot. All your doing is donating a stand for the public good :-)

I completely understand him being pissed and all the responses so far.

19-Oct-14
I never knew Dan was a stand hunter either.

19-Oct-14
I get the public land deal but ANYONE who would hunt someone's stand without first asking is just plane rude.

There are a lot of things that are legal to do but make you look like a complete jerk.

If you want to setup a stand in the tree next to it and get their first I can accept that but don't sit in someone's tree stand.

Also, with all the crazies these days do you really want to risk it for killing an animal?

19-Oct-14
Dan you are a better man than me. Yes it's public land so if he hung one next to mine I couldn't really say anything. But in your case I may have gone back and got my chain saw and dropped the entire tree with him in it!!!!!

19-Oct-14
he buffaloed you off your own stand?

wow ... I don't think I'd let that happen

19-Oct-14
Personally, I would rather have someone hunt out of my stand, than to put up their own, just a few yards away. I would still be agitated, but as has been mentioned, it is public land, and that is really a tough call. I think you did the best thing.

19-Oct-14
Only having so much time to hunt, I would have been tempted to confront the guy, but you probably did the right thing. Some people have no respect for others.

19-Oct-14
Big Dan,

You did the right thing. So it goes when you gun public land. Even if you take your stand in and out, anyone has a right to hunt that tree.

Nope, doesn't show much character. Some guys do it because they're jerks. Some do it because they don't understand.

Forget the macho-BS some guys on here spout. Most would have done as you did.

Seriously, cut a tree down with a man in it?

Sliced the four tires?

19-Oct-14
Is this now a GUN thread since bigdan was packing heat. I don't agree with the other hunter sitting the stand but do find a certain amount of humor since bigdan has been so aggressive against gun threads. I have had others sit my stands, but refuse to sit someone else's stand.

19-Oct-14
To paraphras kipling...your a better man than I am Big Dan! (Gunga Din)

19-Oct-14
Perhaps the guy in the stand was an amature MMA fighter....now there's a story!!

20-Oct-14
I would be curious to know what happened last year that made you pack a side arm? And BTW.....this guy has Idaho plates?? Wasn't there a truck parked in Arizona for a few weeks with Montana plates? I guess I'm just curious as to what this has To do with the price of oranges.

20-Oct-14
Dan, if you are going to put up ladder stands on public hunting areas...might want to consider this (per attached link). Not the quietest process but with practice and doing it slower it could be a lot quieter than it was in the demonstration.

20-Oct-14
No the truck in AZ had Az plates Silver Dodge. I use Game Tamer tree stands With There Ladder steps. And there locked in the Tree. When the ruts over I hunt stands over water a lot.

20-Oct-14
You know, these days and tech-knowledgy has made 'hunting' so complicated! Hunting is 'easy' .... why do so many make it a "challenge" now? The selling of 'Got To Have This' has made most handicapped! (as seem above in the video) ....

I don't like where 'hunting' has gone .... it really started for me since 1984 ..... but it is only getting worse with the onslaught of 'new hunters' taking up The Bow and/or the gun. Morality is all but gone now!

Dan I am sorry this has happened to you! Someone that lives and breaths bow hunting and big mature animals taken with a bow only know how frustrating it is today! The 'internet' has generated a bunch of today's problems in every thing we do now. Every day life depends on MORALITY for our survival!....jmho

20-Oct-14
Dan, I have not read any post.

Few questions? 1. Are you allowed to leave a stand in woods or is it public and your required to pull it daily? Nods up on public land where your hunting? 2. Why did you not ask this dues he why he is hunting in or from your stand?

Me personally I would have climbed the stand and threw that piece of shit off the stand! Or I would take a big doper at base of stand and spread it all over base of stand.

But that is just me.....

20-Oct-14
"Ylpmin I vehemently disagree this is good for hunting. i think that is a stupid position to take."

A cool head and a healthy dose of common sense will prevail. There is a positive outcome to most negative circumstances with the right attitude. A gun and a bad confrontation will only take you and hunting down the wrong road. When LE gets involved, you and the person who chose to climb in your stand become a thorn in the side of the non-hunting public. It just becomes another very small nail in the coffin for hunting.

20-Oct-14
I was "that guy" one time because of a misunderstanding. I came out of the woods one morning totally soaked when I met the landowner by my car. He invited me to hunt out of another hunter's tent. I was really tempted but told him I wouldn't feel right. He said he would call the other hunter and let him know. After dressing in dry clothes I set up in the tent waited and watched. With an hour of shooting light the other hunter came by. He was fine with my presence but I felt like a heel. I told the landowner of the encounter and he said he forgot to call the other hunter. IT WAS NOT WORTH THE EMBARRASSMENT TO STAY DRY.

20-Oct-14
I'd be in JAIL. Sorry!

20-Oct-14
The guys was a complete a$$. Welcome to public land hunting. BigDan you did the right thing by not creating a conflict.

Private landowners have been putting up with much worse in Montana for years. Try replacing 1/2 mile of fencing.

It's only going to get worse and that is the sad part.

20-Oct-14
Pull the stand and leave the steps and see what happens

20-Oct-14
I've never heard of "put a stand on pubic land and anyone is allowed to climb into it and hunt"

Never anywhere have I hunted has that been the etiquette

I guarantee he'd have known that was my stand and I was unhappy, and I'd have ruined his afternoon of hunting in my stand as well.

20-Oct-14
Out west stealthy, that is the law. There isn't anything you can do. It's been placed on public ground. Etiquette has nothing to do with it as far as the law goes. Be careful boy!! Keep raising awareness and you'll begin to see tree stand laws and all of that take place!!!! Sometimes it's best to keep our mouths SHUT!! With or without a full set of teeth.....

20-Oct-14
That's the law in South Dakota, also. If the stand is left on public land, anyone can hunt it. Now I don't think that is the local "etiquette", but it is the law. I have been tempted....walking into an area 10 days after 6" of snow, past 27 stands with not one boot track in the woods.

20-Oct-14
Leaving a stand on public ground is an ethical breach in and of itself. I think the guy was being provocative, however. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Nothing a quick conversation would not have cleared up. If nothing else, I would have said, "Howdy, I'm here to pick up my treestand."

20-Oct-14
Owl, I agree 100%, I have seen stands put up on public land and seldom if ever get used, kind of like the hunter is laying claim to an area he doesn't own, and the majority of hunters won't set up near them out of respect thinking that they are active stands........with that being said, I would never climb into another persons stand regardless of the situation.

20-Oct-14
What would you guys have done if the hunter was a woman in your stand?

Still cut the tree down? Make a scene? Slash tires?

20-Oct-14
CNELK, you should approach it the same way whether it's a woman, man, or child. Calmly articulate that what they are doing is wrong, explain why, and then carry on. If it's a woman or kid maybe they need some help hanging their own stand or fidning a spot to hunt if they don't have anyone knowledgable to show them the ropes. I would offer advice and assistance in those situations. If you're just a lazy SOB then I'll just explain why you're wrong.

20-Oct-14
I've never sat a tree stand but have been past many of them and 90% of the time they're empty. What is the etiquette? Is the tree stand an unofficial way of reserving a spot (thats the way I feel when i see one)? How many tree stands can one hunter put up? Dan had at least two according to his posts. How do I know when it's ok to be there? Can i sit the prime location when nobody is in the stand (as long as i don't sit in the stand)?

Geez this is complicated. I think i'll keep walking, i'd rather hunt than sit.

20-Oct-14
In big Dans situation, absolutely the other guy was in the wrong. He had seen Dan hunting it the day before.

In MN, it is illegal on most public lands to leave your stand overnight. I hunt with my climber, but if I find a spot I want to hunt and there is already a stand there I know it is legal for me to use it. No way to know when it was put there or when they are coming back. If I did decide to use it and another Hunter shows up I would offer to leave/move, but also I know that I wouldn't have to.

Again, if it is illegal to leave your stands overnight it should be first come first serve. It's PUBLIC land, if you are not there why can't I hunt that spot?

Don't forget "hunter harassment" laws could also apply to some of these guys statements.

20-Oct-14
Per the Arizona Game and Fish regarding this:

Ethical hunting is everyone’s business Tree stands and blinds near waterholes can be exciting places to encounter wildlife and are legal tools to aid in your hunting experience and enjoyment. However, if you have ever hunted from a tree stand or blind on a waterhole, you’ve probably encountered other hunters wanting to hunt the same area. You may even have had a negative encounter with another hunter when deciding who was going to stay and hunt. Here are some important tips, ethically speaking, to keep in mind when planning to hunt around a waterhole on public land:

Waterholes on public and state lands belong to everyone, and everyone should enjoy free and equal access. Responsible hunters should respect other hunters’ privileges. They should leave the area if another hunter gets to a waterhole first. Ethically responsible hunters will always yield to another hunter who has reached the waterhole first on any given morning or evening during the hunt. Simply posting a sign/notice on or near a waterhole does not give anyone the exclusive right to hunt that waterhole; the hunter actually needs to be present. Hanging a tree stand near a waterhole does not entitle a person to exclusive hunting rights to that waterhole. It may be unlawful to leave tree stands hanging or blinds set for extended periods of time.They may be considered abandoned property and subject to seizure.

“First Come – First Serve” is a common courtesy that should be used when more than one person wants to hunt the same area or waterhole, regardless of who has a tree stand or blind in the area. The Arizona Game and Fish Department reminds all hunters that confrontations in hunting situations can involve firearms and hot tempers. Whether you are in the city or next to a waterhole, any threats, intimidation, assault, or disorderly conduct can result in citations, arrests and/or jail time. Please do not allow yourself to get into a situation like that — ethical hunting is everyone’s business.

20-Oct-14
It is not first come first serve, you can sit in it but if the owner shows up you better get the hell out.

20-Oct-14
Only sure fire way to avoid any of this is to NOT leave any of your chit on public land. Pack it in, pack it out. It's really quite a simple concept. Public land is just that, public. I'll agree it's poor form to sit in another mans set, however it's not worth getting that torqued up about. Go hunt somplace else. At the end of the day I bowhunt to enjoy myself and get away from the rat race, I damned sure don't do it to stress myself out. Way to take the high road Bigdan.

20-Oct-14
I love guys who use the law as a reason for poor behavior.

You realize that it's not against the law to wade and swim in that same water tank - right?

Maybe pull out a chair and relax and get a tan?

All very legal things to do on public land during any time of the year.

Are they the right thing to do?

There are always 2 choices in every situation.

20-Oct-14
Here is a summary from the PA Game Commission about treestands in this state. In effect, the law permits a person to use any stand left on public lands (regardless of how ethical it is) and provides protection for that person from harassment from the stand owner.

"Although tree stands may be left on state lands during the defined use periods during deer and bear season, their security is not guaranteed by the Game Commission or DCNR. Hunters leave tree stands on state lands assum- ing all risks. There is no regulation or law that guarantees you the location in which you’ve placed your tree stand. Someone can come along and take down your stand and use the tree for his or her tree stand. The Game Commission does not investigate tree stand vandalism or theft on state game lands. Both crimes would have to be investigated by Pennsylvania State Police, which likely will not visit the scene, but will file a report on the theft or vandalism of a tree stand. DCNR rangers investigate all thefts on state parks and state forests.

In essence, when you leave a tree stand — or a ground blind or trail camera — anywhere on state lands, you have assumed all risks for leaving your property there. If your tree stand is taken or vandalized, you most likely will not catch the person who took or damaged your property unless, of course, someone saw the individual(s) carrying the stand away, or a strategi- cally placed trail camera snapped an image of the crime in progress.

When you walk away from your property in the woods of Pennsylvania unless you’re on private land you own or have permission to use — you’re leaving it unattended. That comes with substantial risk in some areas. By and large, most hunters are law-abiding folks who won’t bother your tree stand. But if you’re setting up your ladder stand or hang-on stand in new territory — a location someone else has been using for years—there’s a chance the hunter(s) already using the area won’t appreciate your unattended claim to it, especially if your stand interferes with their use of the area.

If someone bothers you while you’re in the act of hunting, that can be construed as hunter harassment. But if someone uses the tree next to your tree stand, or disassembles the stand and uses the tree it was attached to before you get to the location, that’s the law of the woods, first come, first served. If you harass that hunter while he or she hunts, you’re actually in violation of the law. In fact, although it might not be ethical, another hunter may legally use your tree stand on state land if he or she climbs into it before you do on the day you plan to hunt."

Here is the entire piece - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CEkQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.governor.state.pa.us%2Fportal%2Fserver.pt%2Fdocument%2F1385096%2Fgn201401_tree_stands_on_state_lands_pdf&ei=yh1FVIbHGvOIsQSJuoGgAg&usg=AFQjCNH5z8_d6cshRZKzLDRLgEcbWAJBRg&bvm=bv.77648437,d.cWc&cad=rja

20-Oct-14
dr. bob - I guess for my better understanding of your statement "It is not first come first serve, you can sit in it but if the owner shows up you better get the hell out."

Are you saying that the treestand left there gives the stand owner (Dan) dibs on that spot or are you just saying that the other hunter should've never been in Dan's treestand in the first place and given Dan his stand back should he want to pull it out of the tree?

I'll throw my $0.02 in: The hunter should NEVER had been using someone else's stand. With that said, he was there first therefore he hunts that spot and Dan moves on. IF Dan had wanted to remove his stand, the hunter shouldn't have had a problem with it, but then again, the hunter shouldn't have been in Dan's stand in the first place.

20-Oct-14
Been there too. Just about the same thing happened to me. Approached my stand and someone was sitting in it. He actually waved at me. I spread my arms open, like WTF??? He just smiled. I backed out and went elsewhere. Next morning, same thing. Except this time I walked up and asked why he was using my stand. His reply was, public land; you snooze, you loose. I dropped my gear and climbed up and proceeded to remove the steps from the tree. I took out two steps and he yelled "what the hell are you doing." I said, taking my treesteps. I'll be back later to get my stand. He yelled, "no, no, no, I'll leave." I never saw him again after that.

20-Oct-14
I think some guys are getting a bit carried away and overreacting. Sitting in someone elses stand can be unthoughtful, rude and disrespectful but it's really not that big of a deal. It's certainly not justification for slashing tires and crapping on someones truck. Maybe he wanted to hang his own stand but yours was already there and he thought his stand would just be in your way. So in his mind he actually might have thought he was being courteous to you.

If you want your stand back or don't want him to sit in it then calmly ask him not to use your stand or to get out of the stand so you can retrieve it. He didn't commit murder so be reasonably polite. And don't expect him to give up the spot so you can hunt it at that time, your stand didn't reserve the spot for you and he was there first. It's perfectly reasonable for him to continue hunting that spot from the ground or from his own stand if he has one.

20-Oct-14
Eye for an eye? Acts of equal ignorance?

If parking was tight I would have parked right up against his truck so he couldn't get out and call my wife to come pick me up.

The fact is using other people's property makes you an idiot. Law or no law. he parked his truck on public land. Can you use that?

The chainsaw thing was a joke Cnelk. Lighten up Francis.

20-Oct-14
I don't see much difference in claiming an area by leaving a stand and claiming someone else's stand for the evening.

20-Oct-14
Mule Power - so because the guy sitting in your stand is a jerk you're entitled to act like a jerk too?

What kind of flawed logic is that? It makes you no better than him.

20-Oct-14
This is a good example of why it should be illegal to leave a unaccompanied stand on public land.

20-Oct-14
Phil: Yes.

I may not be any better than him in the end but at least I'll sleep as well.

Flawed logic is thinking you can do as you please with things that don't belong to you. I wouldn't care if he.... put a stand in the tree next to mine.... removed my stand because he agreed with me that that particular tree was THE one to be in...... sat at the bottom of my tree. etc.

Let's take it a step further: When my stand fails and he falls and breaks his back will I be getting a letter from his attorney? Maybe. People file lawsuits when they get hurt while trespassing. The laws are twisted these days.

I think a little common sense will tell you not to disturb other people things. Like I mentioned... there are a few trees in Montana.... pick another one please. Thank you.

20-Oct-14
Danny, no doubt you did the right thing by not escalating the situation even though I'm sure you had a few choice words in mind for the guy. With age comes wisdom and you demonstrated that with this situation, well done. I most likely would have done the same thing but cant say what I would have done 10 yrs ago, I was fairly hot headed. And yes I agree with the fact that this guy is a first class douch bag but like its been said before "you can't fix stupid" so why try!

20-Oct-14
There's gotta be a better way. Yes he shouldn't be in a treestand that belongs to someone else but it's hard to take the moral high ground and then turn around and do something just as bad.

20-Oct-14
"it's hard to take the moral high ground and then turn around and do something just as bad."

What did he do that was just as bad? Remove his stand the next day?

20-Oct-14
You could have asked him to please come out of the tree stand and let him know it was yours. If he didn't you could climb up and remove your steps/climbing sticks and leave him in the tree stand since he wanted to be in it so bad. Then let him figure out how he was going to get down. Just a thought. DANNY

20-Oct-14
I had a stand over water about 5 years ago. I would not mind someone sitting in my stand if I was not there as long as they respected the stand and did not damage it. I do not consider my stand as me reserving the spot. If I were to come up on the stand ready to hunt and someone was in it, I would be disappointed, however they would have been hunting the water hole before I got there and proper etiquette would be that they were there first, they get to hunt the spot. I would move on and continue my hunt farther on. It would make no difference to me if they were in the tree or sitting the base of the tree. They are hunting the area of the waterhole. If on the other hand I had sat in some ones tree stand and they come up on me, I would give them their stand back (it is theirs after all) and hunt the same area on the ground. (I was there first) The other fellow should just move on. A tree stand does not reserve the spot. If I saw someone in the stand the day before, and if I saw the same truck at the end of the road, I would assume the man that was in the tree the day before is in the tree again and I would hunt a different direction. If the truck was not at the end of the road, I would hunt where ever I wanted to that day as the tree stand does not reserve the area, a hunter’s presence does. Communication often can resolve many problems. If for example a few quiet words were said to the hunter that walked up on Dan to let him know that “the elk usually come out of the woods toward the water hole from that direction and I am hunting these elk in this area, could you please hunt a different direction”. The guy may have or may not have chosen to go a different direction. It at least lets you know if the guy is a true bow hunter or not. For anybody to ever think that deadly force is an appropriate use of force for a hunting spot is an idiot. I will walk away from a hunting spot long before any gun is ever drawn. And after all that is said, if you left your truck or atv at the end of the road on public land, does that give someone the right to take it for a spin? Or climb in it and sit take a nap? Common sense says NO. And just to let everyone know, I usually always removed my bottom 3-4 steps from the tree when leaving just to discourage the use of my stand when I was away.

20-Oct-14
The guy should have used a little common sense. He could have asked Dan if it was OK to hunt the stand when he was not. If Dan said yes they could have coordinated when each was planning to hunt. If Dan says no then the guy could either hang his own stand in the same tree, another tree or just hunt Dan's stand. Dan doesn't own the spot and just being the first person there doesn't mean the guy has to leave. Most people would leave and find another spot but he does not and is not required to do so.

20-Oct-14
Alright, heres a question for you Trax, If you were hunting the same water hole the year before, hanging your stand on the same tree, as BIG DAN said its the only tree within 100 yds of the water. Would you think it ok to climb the tree and remove the other stand so you could put yours up. (but wait, its locked on the tree, kind of like reserving the spot so no one else can put thier stand in the same spot). Similar situation, if someone parked on a public road blocking all access, would it be ok to move said truck to get around it. Someone elses property, no right to mess with it or do these situations change that.

20-Oct-14
The nerve of some people. If I come across a stand I will move on.

In 2001 I gained permission to hunt our job site in Illinois at the time. I walked into a soot where the locals said was good. I found a stand and sat in it. 20 minutes later the owner comes and says its his stand. I said OK and climbed down.

I walked 1/4 mile to the north found a saddle in the small ridge line. I sat behind a tree on the ground. I ended up missing a big buck that night at 30 yards.

Ever since then I will move on.

20-Oct-14
LUNG$HOT - I was referring to Mule Power's suggestion, not anything Bigdan posted.

20-Oct-14
Trax," He had ZERO right to sit in somebody's private property."

Ylpmin posted AZ Game and Fish website game regulations: Waterholes on public and state lands belong to everyone, and everyone should enjoy free and equal access. Responsible hunters should respect other hunters’ privileges. They should leave the area if another hunter gets to a waterhole first. Ethically responsible hunters will always yield to another hunter who has reached the waterhole first on any given morning or evening during the hunt. Simply posting a sign/notice on or near a waterhole does not give anyone the exclusive right to hunt that waterhole; the hunter actually needs to be present. Hanging a tree stand near a waterhole does not entitle a person to exclusive hunting rights to that waterhole. It may be unlawful to leave tree stands hanging or blinds set for extended periods of time.They may be considered abandoned property and subject to seizure.

Some of you are justifying ILLEGAL acts because of a difference in another hunter's ethics, not laws.

Yes in BigDan's situation the other hunter was arguably a jerk. But not illegal.

20-Oct-14
I guess it comes down to how our actions will affect others. I suppose we should always be asking ourselves the question when leaving our hunting spots "are my actions going to affect other hunters using this spot while I am gone and am I alright with them disturbing my stuff that I leave if it is going to affect thier hunt?

20-Oct-14
My 2 cents:

The guy knew Dan was hunting the spot. Low class move to "get there first" and claim it.

Some folks feel setting a stand gives them exclusive rights to the location. As AZ DFG says, first come first served. Comment #1 still applies.

IF I did use somebody's stand (and I'm not saying I would), I would certainly get the hell out of it with apologies if the person showed up.

I don't want to be the guy that tries to use somebody else's stand, falls and gets hurt.

Agree with the many posters that the best thing to do is take it with you (or at least the steps) every time.

I applaud you Dan for your restraint. Maybe next time post the license plates so the jerk gets outed.

20-Oct-14
BTW This is EXACTLY how general archery seasons go to draws.

So the idiot, rude hunter who gets chewed out for sitting in a guys stand (usually opening morning) goes to F&G and complains about the situation (of course telling his side of the truth).

F&G gets enough complaints and feels the need to limit amount of hunters.

Draw is implemented.

Situation fixed for F&G and hunters.

So yes. We all have to get along and if your spot is taken you have 2 choices. Sit there and argue or go find another spot.

Usually when the cockroaches move in it's time to move.

20-Oct-14
Trax, if you read what I posted from Pennsylvania, in this state the private property (stand) is not protected by law. From the state document -

"In fact, although it might not be ethical, another hunter may legally use your tree stand on state land if he or she climbs into it before you do on the day you plan to hunt."

Other states may have different laws and none of this accounts for ethics and good common sense but it is legally different here than the tailgate of your truck.

20-Oct-14
My stand was on private land that was open do to being signed up in are Block management program. That opens hunting up on Sept 1st. The landowner lets me put my stands up two weeks before. I have three or four stands set up in the 200,000 acres with in the Block management. I have had other guys put up blinds or tree stands up at the locations I set up on.. I have no problem with that. if some one is on the location I move on to another spot. I have even had other hunters ask if I minded if they set there. I only have one ass and it goes were I go.. The thing I don't like is when some one knows your there and walks in on you any way.

20-Oct-14
There is no excuse for walking in on you when they see you. Could the landowner deal with him?

20-Oct-14
Yep. Walking in on you was low class.

20-Oct-14
Public land equals public stand. If I set a stand on public. Land and don't occupy it prior to the legal time set then it's not mine stand if someonelse is in it. Good for you for walking away and letting him hunt, go back and take it down after the hunt. It's unbelievable that some guys think that they own a specific stand area on PUBLIC land! it's PUBLIC not private.

20-Oct-14
I tree stand hunt a lot. I have several stands up on national forest every year. Leaving them there is a risk I choose to take. I don't see a problem with someone else sitting one of my stands if I am not there (I do take out the bottom 10 steps each time I leave however, more to prevent theft than anything else). Again that is a risk I take by leaving them up. I would not sit another person's stand however regardless.

A couple of years ago I placed a stand on a water hole without knowledge that another hunter had been hunting that spot for many years before me. We got the chance to meet during that season and he told me that that was a spot he had been hunting for MANY years prior to my stand being there. We worked that year out and in the past two years since, we have become great friends and now share spots together.

The thing that bothers me the most about this scenario is the day prior, this hunter walked in on Bigdan and knew then that he was actively hunting this spot. He than came back the next day and sat in the very stand knowing that Bigdan would probably return. That is what stinks the most about this scenario to me.

Just my 2 cents

20-Oct-14
Not sure if someone already posted this, but I think the guy knew exactly what he was doing. He wanted you to leave. He is rude enough to get you to move along. Dan - you showed amazing restraint and I compliment you for that. Unfortunately, the guy won. He got the spot he wanted - yours.

20-Oct-14
You showed more restraint than I could. I had a guy in my stand during rifle deer season once and I walked up to the tree and told him that's my stand and I have every right to shoot the strap in two with this 30/06 that is holding that stand in that tree. He got down and left. Using someones stand without permission is one of the douchiest things you could do in hunting.

20-Oct-14
You know, after reading all this controversy, and all of these harsh feelings, it created a lot of thought.

Anyway, personally, I believe, if the guy truly knew that Dan was there, he should have avoided coming in on him on that first day, but that is the only thing that I see, the guy did that was unethical.

With that said, the closest I have been to circumstances such as this, was in Arizona, on an elk hunt. Now my situation was a bit different, because I got to know several of the other hunters, so I learned where waterholes were, as well as who had a stand here and there, and what I did was attempt to ask, whoever had a stand on certain waterholes, if they would be hunting a certain waterhole or not, and if not, could I hunt from there stand. This worked well, as no one was upset and I got to hunt others stands - as they knew - and I didn't get in anyone's way.

But it made me think, had I been in a totally different situation, such as, I didn't take the time, or have the opportunity presented to me, to get to know several of the other hunters, I would have been shut out of an abundance of waterholes due to the fact that I wanted to be very ethical and not intrude - in my head, I was the outsider, as I was not a resident of the state, or a regular in that hunting unit - as there were very few waterholes that did not have a stand, or two set up on them. So, had I went in with just advice, and went to these waterholes and saw the stands, I would not have even considered hunting there. For two reasons, one was not to be a jerk, and two would have been to avoid confrontation.

However, after this thread, and reading Arizonas rules concerning stand and blind placement, it made me expand on my thinking. Meaning, as mentioned, almost every waterhole encountered, had a stand or two located near them. And by talking with several other hunters, many had stands at numerous waterholes, and depending on the day, or the situation, or exactly how many were in camp, would dictate, exactly which waterholes would be hunted, and by who, etc.

So say someone has out four stands and blinds, obviously they can only hunt one, so if it is public land, I think it would be a waste, if I were to simply not even attempt to go to a waterhole, due to finding a stand or blind in place. I am probably rambling here, but my meaning is, if someone has, even two different stands in place, and they choose stand B, and you wanted to hunt near stand A, then why not. I mean it is public land, and we all have equal rights to it.

Even beyond this scenario, say a hunter has out only one stand, and you avoid that area, because it is, that hunters set up. But you never know, the hunter may have had to work, he may be sick, he may have went out of town, or any laundry list of other possibilities, so why not hunt that spot.

I realize that all of this banter has occurred due to the fact that the guy actually was sitting in Dan's stand. I have already stated, I would prefer someone sit in my stand, than to erect another just a few yards away, but lots of guys don't agree with me on this. So since Dan readily admitted that this was the only tree within a hundred yards of the waterhole, should the guy have hung his own stand, in the same tree alongside Dan's? Or took Dan's stand down and put his up when he wanted to hunt?

Honestly, I am not trying to create controversy, I am simply attempting to provoke thought about the situation. Personally, I have always tried to avoid going into areas such as this, as I know how I would feel if I were hunting and it came prime time and someone came bumbling along. I also know how I would feel if I had hung a stand and planned to hunt there, especially if it were my only, or at least primary stand location, and went to hunt and found someone already there. I wouldn't like it, so I don't want to do that to anyone else.

I like the idea of first come, first serve. It means that those who are most eager, or willing to spend the most time in an area, will get to hunt a spot. Kind of like those who camp out to get tickets to this sale or that event.

21-Oct-14
use a climber problem solved....if not you risk this result...plus you give away your spot....

I will not avoid an area cuz a stand is there.....I hunt with a climber and chances are I was hunting that area years before you and you just didnt know it

21-Oct-14
jax, I agree. On one hand, I would agree with, a law, saying no stands can be left in the woods. On the other hand, if you have hunted enough various locations you will find that some places have trees that are not almost,, but they are impossible to use a climber. Kansas is a prime case in point. When I started hunting there I took a climber, for a few years I did that. I finally quit bringing the climber because out of 10 treestand sites, you might find ONE tree that you can use a climber. And having to put up and take down a lock on style treestand can be a lot of work, unless you are in the physical condition of a squirrel.

21-Oct-14
Plain and simple.....NO RESPECT! This is a plague infiltrating our society today and the root of most, if not all, of our problems. Too many people are being raised and live without respect....respect for other people, property, and themselves! Sure it is public land but a little respect would go a long way!!!!

my .o2...PaLongshank

21-Oct-14
Hammer, I don't know how you go about cleaning up an elk carcass but the way I do it is clean off the meat and the carcass and guts stay right were they lay. I am never packing off elk guts or carcass. If you don't mind someone hunting your spot when you aren't there, you must relize they might shoot something in the spot.

You talk about all the hard work you went through to find the good spot. Well someone else arived at the same spot, so they might have done all the hard work themselves also.

The land BIG DAN was hunting was Block Management. It is technically private land but has been opened up to the public by the owner who recieves money from the state for the amount of hunters who uses his property. So in reality it has been opened up as public land. We could give the guy some slack and say he may not have known the owner of the stand would be back that day, but in reality, the stand was still there and it was the last day of the season, so if you had a brain, you would assume the hunter was comming back to hunt.

21-Oct-14
I agree, if its the law, then Big Dan was screwed by a guy with really poor ethics.

Me? I'd have sat at the base of my stand and made a lot of noise or something - I'd damn sure not let anyone sit in the stand I put up.

21-Oct-14
Bottom line is you don't sit in someones stand. I've learned a lesson from those that would be "A" holes. I just take a climber in and hide it somewhere in the vicinity. Saves a lot of trouble and you can easily move if you need to. Now if someone is in my climber? ITS ON!! Lol

21-Oct-14
You locked a stand in a tree on public ground, 2 weeks before anyone else had acess. It happens to be the only tree within 100 yards of the water tank. A guy walks in to hunt, sees you in the tree and he goes off into timber, you leave. 2 and a half days later you come back and are mad because he is in your stand that is locked into the only tree within 100 yards of the tank on public land?

This is a good reason to not allow stands to be left on Public Land unattended. Just curious, what makes you feel entitled to tying up the only tree within 100 yards of the tank from 2 weeks before the season until the end, even while you were away hunting in AZ?

21-Oct-14
sureshot Do you drive a Silver Chevy 4 door short box with Idaho plates? And I went some were else the next day. Day after that is when he was in my stand. My brother hunted it every day when I was in Az. Its locked there to keep dirt bags from taking it.

21-Oct-14
Dan,

I thought no human could do wrong with a bow in hand?

What in the world are you doing sitting water from a stand anyway?

21-Oct-14
Ah yes, tough guys ready to get in fights over silly things. That turned out really well in Rice Lake, WI a few years ago. I'm far less concerned with a guy who breaches etiquette than I am with someone who has to prove his so-called manhood all the time.

21-Oct-14
Dan, you did the right thing. The guy was a jerk to sit your stand. If he felt "ownership" of the water hole, he might've visited with you on the first encounter and let you know how he felt. Personally, if I encounter a stand on public land, I skirt the area and look for another spot, frequently upstream from the stand, wherever the tracks are coming in from :-). I found a wallow in the South Fork (Flathead, MT) that's not been taken down in 6 years that I know of. The screw in steps are getting grown over and tree limbs are growing through the seat. Still, I wouldn't sit in the darn stand! I've tried tying his hoisting line goofy to the steps and other things to see if there is somebody coming to this stand. I've never seen a man track or any indication it's being used in bow season or rifle! Ii wonder if they can't find it? Maybe the griz got him? Who knows. I might climb the tree (best one and only good one on the wallow) if it's still there next time I go up.

21-Oct-14
"Personally, if I encounter a stand on public land, I skirt the area and look for another spot, frequently upstream from the stand, wherever the tracks are coming in from :-)."

Bigdan, No I do not drive a chevy, nor do I live in Idaho. Maybe the guy followed graybeard's advice,I copied above, the first day and when he came back the second day and no one was hunting there, and then the 3rd day he showed up and no one was there again he thought it would be okay to hunt the stand? Maybe the guy had seen the stand open previous to that also?  I hope your brother had some success in his 15 or 16 days sitting that tree, that is a lot of time to sit the same water tank.

21-Oct-14
Public land is public land. With that said, the dimwit didn't own the stand so, he shouldn't have parked his sorry rear end in the stand. What the heck ever happened to giving another their room? Some of you guys need to learn a bit of respect and practice what you preach. If you know another is hunting there, move along to find another area. Besides, is western game that dumb to frequent such heavily trafficked areas anyways?

There is two sides of this but Gheez, this do as you please motto needs examined. Give the next guy the respect you'd like to have. That goes to the guy who puts a stand on a public area to tie it up. If he is hunting there, move along. If your doing it to tie it up that area, your no better than he. Use your brain and consciousness to act accordingly.

21-Oct-14
flybyjohn,

Sorry man but my post had a few words deemed inappropriate. Sorry to all who read it if they were offended. It was not my intention when I wrote it. Was in a hurry and didn't think the word I was using might be seen as bad language but in hindsight it was.

As to the stand I can only say that the portion about me doing all the work is a good one to me. If I go to an area and clear shooting lanes and set a stand then I did the work and not the guy who scouted a little or stumbled onto my stand and decides not to set his own. Like I said if on public land and a guy wants to use it while I am not there I am good with that but when I arrive he should bail... If he doesn't he is not a decent person in my book.

Gut pile: Its just who I am. If I am hunting an area or stand where other hunters hunt as well and I know it I do not leave guts 20 yards from the stand. I have hunted buddies blinds and stands in the past and never left anything within 100 yards of the stand or blind. Call it respect. Nothing worse than going into your blind and staring at a gut pile that stinks to high heaven and blows in your face. lol,,,, Just saying.

21-Oct-14
I guess my question is: if you have a treestand on public land and you go to sit in it and there is no one sitting in it, but there is a hunter set up on the ground near that water hole, what would you do? Would you move on without hard feelings, or would you feel that since you have the stand up, the other hunter should go elsewhere?

If I were sitting in a ground blind on a water hole that I got to first (that day) on public land and someone else came up and climbed up in his treestand after seeing me, I would probably would not leave.

I absolutely don't think it is right to use other peoples property just because they are not there, but it doesn't give that person exclusive hunting rights to that place on any given day. Don't really see the difference in sitting in someones stand and using their tent if they are not around. If it ain't yours, it ain't yours to use.

21-Oct-14
Devils advocate...on a waterhole, there's one good tree with one straight enough portion for a single stand. Someone legally sets up and leaves the stand all season...what do you do?

Is the spot effectively reserved for that single hunter that put up the stand?

22-Oct-14
I dont understand what the no respect thing is.....you lock up a tree over a good spot not far off the road on public land....someone hunts the spot and it is no respect....is it no respect if he removed your stand put it at the bottom of the tree and hung his for the day...

the respect thing can go either way.....no respect tying up a good tree and good spot with a permenent stand...

it should be understood...if you hang a stand on public land someone can and will use it...it is what it is

just get there first ....that is my motto

again I never have this problem since I use a climber

but I have run into this problem wehre guys hang a permenent stand and think it is there spot meanwhile I have been hunting the spot for years.....

I always have a plan B just in case someone is hunting "my spot..."

22-Oct-14
On public land, it's rare that I would want to hunt right on a water hole. Put your stand farther back if you can find a natural funnel or trail that is being used, fence crossing between beds and water, etc.

22-Oct-14
Now I did not read everyone's posts so this may of been covered. But first let me say that non confrontational is always the way to handle stuff like this.

Ok now my question, Isn't Block management Land private land that's open to the public to hunt? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the way Dan handle it was in my option was right. If bm land is private and something happened then it could of got closed and/or other bm land may not of got resigned up or owners of other bm land may not sign up there land at all..

As for the guy NO he should of not got in someone else stand and asking if he would leave so you can hunt would of been fine in my option.. But the way it was handle was good and Dan and even I learned something from Dan's experience.

If Block management land is private land that guy could of been the owner, owners brother, best friend and so on or no one at all.. eD

22-Oct-14
In the unit there are lots and lots of water tanks. There are guys that put up stands every year. I never go near any tank that has a stand on it. If some one set up a popup blind on any of the ones I hunt that's there right. There are other trees near the water hole I had my stand at that have had stands in them over the years. There are no fence lines or trails the elk use to come in on. I just ask the Question here to see what you guys think. I'm going to set up my stand in the same trees next year. And lock it in the tree. A climber would not work in and of the spots I hunt two many limbs.

22-Oct-14
The guy definitely knew you were using it. He's a jerk.

The other bigger picture of public land use is best approached with a conversation between the two hunters but realize that you both have a right to be there. Avoid conflict/aggression when possible.

22-Oct-14
DAN, You definitely did the correct thing! I have only had two draw Elk tags in my life and this has happened to me both times! It really pisses me off when you do your homework all season only to have a jerk like that come ruin a good sit! I am only 31 years old, but a little old fashioned I guess when it comes to these situations. If its not yours dont mess with it!!! If you have another place to sit I would move my stand, but I think the guy needs to know he is definitely in the wrong!

22-Oct-14
We are waaaaay off track here, we need to go back to cnelk's question:

"What would you guys have done if the hunter was a woman in your stand?"

THIS is where questions are raised! Is she single? Am I single? How tall is she? Is it Tiffany? What kind of truck does she drive?

22-Oct-14
"Let's reverse our situation...if that was your stand would you be happy to find me sitting in it?"

& whatever he says then say "go ahead and use it for today I'll hunt another area today/this evening (etc.). good luck"

I seriously doubt he would there again.But If he did, I'd tell him to get out I'm pulling the stand.

22-Oct-14
Lmao surfbow!! Classic

22-Oct-14
1) Remove ladder or tree steps 2) Go back to truck and get chain saw 3) go to tree with chain saw 4) start chain saw and rev it like crazy. 5) watch out for his pee. Then go hunt another location. Come back in the evening to see if he found a way out, if not. put the ladder back up. Bet he doesnt do that again.

LOL

22-Oct-14
Seems pretty cut and dried to me. Public access, anybody can hunt it at any time.

Stand is private property. And permission to leave it from the landowner. I would not consider using another's private property without their permission than I would go and sit in their truck.

I've hunted places that had stands set up, normally built a quick blind, never once thought about sitting their stand.

If I saw someone hunting a spot either by stand or by blind.... that would be rude as heck to go in and hunt it too. Have to be a real SOB to do that IMO. Even if I had a stand hanging already. To me the public SPOT is first come first serve. But private property is private property.

You had a real crazy year Bigdan. Hope all is well with you and yours. Take care.

22-Oct-14
Why is it that guys think they own a spot or area on public land? if you leave a stand on public land then it's open to whoever wants it if you don't occupy it by legal time. That's the way it is here in I on the place I hunt. It's like the duck blinds on public waters, the guy who draws the blind builds the blind and it's his everyday of the season as long saw he is in before the legal time. As far as parking. Next to someone's car and getting a ride home? I think the individuals insurance better be paid up lol or at least be able to buy some new tires, park at your own risk.

22-Oct-14
I must confess, I don't know the law. Does a tree stand left on public land (not permanently attached) become public property and anyone can legally climb in and use it? If so, can I use your tent and sleeping bag if you aren't there?

If indeed someone can legally climb into someone elses tree stand that he leaves there, then that also opens you up to liability if he gets hurt falling out. He could probably successfully sue you for damages.

22-Oct-14
txhunter - it seems to depend on state laws. Here in PA a stand hanging on public property is open to the first person that gets there.

22-Oct-14
We have no such laws here in Montana. And like I said its on private land that's signed up on are Block management program. I can see the stand from my deck maybe I need to get me one of them 50 cal sniper rifles and pick a few of them guys off so maybe the pile of bodys will dieter others from helping them shelf's. If I cut down the tree it would hurt me more than others This has got way off track time for it to fad away

22-Oct-14
I think BB's solution is the winner.

23-Oct-14
Dan,

Hate to see you resort to gun hunting.

23-Oct-14
I love when guys set up Permanent stands trying to claim an area as "theirs"

23-Oct-14
I'm curious, I have read several threads about antelope waterhole hunting, mostly in WY. I have frequently read that the commonly accepted "gentleman's agreement" is that since the waterholes are a limited commodity, and it would detrimental to all to set 3 different blinds up at the same waterhole, that people often resort to hanging a water bottle with a note in it with the days that they are hunting so others know when the blind is otherwise available.

To be clear, I've never done it, and I don't know if it's true, but I did read it on bowsite so I assume it is? I live in MN, stands left up are not typically an issue where I hunt because its illegal to leave them overnight. If I do stumble into someone else's set up, stand or not, I typically avoid it because I assume they have probably been hunting it with the wrong wind, smoking in the stand while listening to their iPod.

But, a stand in the only location available to put one on a waterhole on what is essentially public land (Block Management is essentially open to public) seems to be a pretty similar situation as the antelope discussion above? I'm surprised at the vitriol about it in this situation and the acceptance in the other? Is it simply elk v. antelope? MT v. WY? Or ??

23-Oct-14
if i wanted to hunt a waterhole where there was one tree and a stand in it, maybe I spend 30 minutes and make a ground blind to hunt there ?

23-Oct-14
I can't think of what would be more lame, finding a guy in your tree-stand, or actually sitting in a tree-stand during elk season.

23-Oct-14
Yes bigdan the élkman in a tree seems like a mental image breaker to me.

23-Oct-14
+1 archery95!!!! "Why is it that guys think they own a spot or area on public land? if you leave a stand on public land then it's open to whoever wants it if you don't occupy it by legal time." For 1, were not in farm land where everything is private! Its the WEST and most Elk country is public land access! Its like pulling into a camp spot with a trailer already there and thinking its on public land so I must be able to use it and or just set up shop in the same campground..... There has to be some common sense involved here, Dan was sitting the stand as well as parking in the area. What else needs to happen here to make the idiot think hmmm wonder if anyone is hunting this stand???

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear