earlyriser 21-Oct-14
elkhunter83 16-Nov-14
Barrera 16-Nov-14
SteveB 18-Nov-14
SteveB 18-Nov-14
wildwilderness 18-Nov-14
wildwilderness 18-Nov-14
20-Oct-14
First part is regarding whether to go or not. As a kid, I was always nuts about hunting. Loved the kill, blood, holding the animal after the fact...my son is not me (hell of a lot better kid then I was), and doesn't seem to have the bug like me. Anyone go through this? He is 11 years old and says he really wants to go hunting in New Mexico on a youth opportunity hunt, but I just get the feeling he is trying to please me. Second part is any advice on the hunts that are still available. Hunts are late season rifle, so elk will likely be in big herds depending on weather and in some sort of migration. Units left are 16e, 53, 9, 13. Stats show 16e is good for these youth hunts (about 50% success), but I have never had the opportunity to venture in that part of state (yeah I apply for the Gila too with stick and string). Last part is gun. My son is about 4'9" 84 lbs. I'm looking at youth rifles in 7mm-08 or 270, thoughts?? Should I get him a rifle in youth or standard size? Appreciate any help or thoughts on all 3 points. thanks fellas.

20-Oct-14
You can't force it. If he is not ready then neither of you will enjoy the hunt. Does he hunt locally? A DIY elk hunt may not be the best place to start?

7MM-08 in a youth should fit him well.

Good luck, it will work out either way.

20-Oct-14
Cannot force him, it has to be HIS decision to go.

Daughter age 10 killed a cow with .243 last week, one shot close range. Partner's son age 8 killed another cow with his own .243 2 shots.

If you're buying a gun .243 may be on the small side, but will do the job with good shot selection.

Good luck. I'll shoot you a link to daughter's story that may be motivational for your son.

Carl

20-Oct-14
Thanks guys. I'd love to see your daughter's elk hunt post Carl.

20-Oct-14
Not all youth hunts in NM are late.

I just did an article on a girl who has gone on three, peak of rut hunts.

She's killed a 337, a 371 and passed a 360 the year she didn't fill her permit because she was after one in the 400" range. Yes, she and her dad had pictures to prove it. :-)

How you get him started shooting the rifle will have more to do with than caliber, to some degree.

First, lots of time with a scoped .22, shooting with solid rests on spinning targets. Good hearing protection, too.

When it's time to step up to a high-power, again use a great rest and let the kid do a lot of dry-firing to make sure they get a good feel for the rifle.

Before they shoot it, YOU shoot it at a gallon jug of water. Let them stand directly behind you, with their hand on your shoulder to feel the recoil. (Don't call it kick)

AGAIN, MAKE SURE THEY HAVE GREAT HEARING PROTECTION.)

Once they see the jug blow up, they'll want their turn.

Let them shoot a jug of water at some can't miss range.

You know, another option is a late season cow hunt in NM. Some outfitters offer them for pretty cheap rates, and with guaranteed permits, too.

A 7mm-08 or .308 might work well. The latter may come in reduced recoil loads for practicing.

21-Oct-14
Wyo, Writer has the recipe for teaching a kid to shoot. I've used this method for years with wonderful results but used a melon/pumpkin instead of the the jug of water. That was mainly for shock effect when reinforcing muzzle safety. Let your son set the pace and you will figure out when to "nudge" him further. Good luck.

21-Oct-14
I have a very similar situation as wyonative1972 with my 12 yr old son. He says he wants to hunt, so I bought him a bow, a .243 youth rifle, a compact muzzleloader, and he won a .22 youth rifle. He loves playing soccer and I feel that there are so many other distractions. I have been thinking about taking him on a hunt someplace to see if that would get him the bug. What are some of the requirements of the youth elk hunt in NM?

21-Oct-14
That is great advice writer. Blowing up anything is right down is alley, and the ear protection comment is spot on.

hunt'n addict, you need to set-up a profile for your son just like you do for NM draw for yourself. He either needs to have his hunter safety card or they have a "mentored youth" program where he will have to pass a very easy quiz, and of course hunt with you.

21-Oct-14
X1 Smarba. I've guided whitetail hunts for over ten years and the biggest mistake I've seen is people bring their kids shooting 7mm, 270, 300 mag, 308. Nearly every time the kid is flinching because they are scared of the gun. Ill get my old 243 out, that I used until I was 18, and the kids shoot it very well. I wouldn't go higher than a 25-06. Out of the calibers you listed the 7mm-08 would be best I really like that caliber for experienced shooters. One thing I recommend for kids practice is a scoped 22 and thousands of rounds. Hours of plinking targets, rabbits, squirrels is a great way to hone a kids rifle skills. Just make it about your son and have fun and post up some pictures after its done!

21-Oct-14
My kids are starting out with a 7mm-08 youth model. I reload light recoil ammunition for them to practice with and keep the game amunition for the important shots that they will not even notice the recoil. I shoot in the game loads to make sure they are sighted in. My son just started shooting my 7mm mag this last summer. I put the softest recoil pad packmeir makes on it for him and it really made a difference over the old hard red ruger one.

I understand about not knowing for sure if the kids really want to hunt or are just hunting to make you happy. My son went out with me last year only 2 times during rifle season. We walked for a bit and when we finally got on fresh elk sign, the question from him was how far away is the truck, not how do we get on these elk. Sometimes elk hunting takes a lot of effort that is hard on kids and I am thinking that a couple easy elk is probably going to have to be the ticket to get the kids really into it.

My kids have tv and video/computer games where I did not have either as a kid. I was always out with my dad carrying the .22 from the age of 7. It is a different world today.

21-Oct-14
Link - I believe you just convinced me on the 243 as an option. I can always get rid of it with very little damage to the pocket book later when I'm convinced he could handle more.

flybyjohn - your story cracks me up, I'm expecting my son to drop subtle hints while we are hunting as well. I remember there being mornings where I didn't want to get up early and my dad kicking my butt out of bed to go hunt...I'm grateful he did that!

21-Oct-14
Sort of similar for my daughter. However, she has been bugging me for years. I felt she was old enough to appreciate what goes into a hunt, so she now has a dec. muzzy tag in unit 15. We practice with the .50 cal every weekend. She is now comfortable and accurate. We are pumped about going. I think, like many have stated, that forcing would turn out bad. I waited, waited and waited before I agreed which made it her decision, not mine. She took the youth mentored test by the way.

16-Nov-14
I have a 6yr old that loves going hunting and being involved in it all. My only issue is when bow season comes and she gets left at home she resents me . she has her lil bow she can barely draw but insist she can kill an elk as well . this is my first and only child . how can I not break her heart till she is ready?

16-Nov-14

Barrera's embedded Photo
Barrera's embedded Photo
16e is a good youth hunt. Lots of open country and you will see elk for sure. Only downside is camping is limited since its mostly state and blm. Some of the terrain can get rough. Hunted it last year with my 7 yr old son and seen prob 80 elk, 150 antelope, and one wolf in the three days we hunted. Did shoot one but didn't recover :(. If you do decide to hunt it let me know and will share what I know. My 10 yr old son got his first bull this year after taking a cow last year in the gila. Great times and memories will be priceless.

18-Nov-14
Every child is different. In Ohio we deer hunt with Slug guns and my then 8 yr old grandson used a 20 guage slug gun to shoot his first deer. By age 12 he was using 12 guage slug gun with magnum loads no problem. That kicks more than any practical rifle.

18-Nov-14
Every child is different. In Ohio we deer hunt with Slug guns and my then 8 yr old grandson used a 20 guage slug gun to shoot his first deer. By age 12 he was using 12 guage slug gun with magnum loads no problem. That kicks more than any practical rifle.

18-Nov-14
If he will go take him. Make it a good experience about him and not you wanting him to kill.

Shooting is very important. Elk are very big, and I would not recommend a .243 for elk, especially if bulls are a possibility. I know many elk have been killed just fine with it (on perfect shots) but they can be very tough. I've seen plenty of elk hit with a 300 mag run off.

My 12yr old is shooting a 308 great. We had to go through a lot of shooting practice, dry firing etc to make sure there is no flinch. And he loves to shoot pumpkins. Make sure the gun fits! Also make sure you have sighted and grouped the rifle so you can tell if they are shooting right.

Things that really help:

Good ear protection- I have him double up on foam plugs with headphones over. Way better than just one.

Recoil shield- good confidence builder, can wear during hunting.

Bipod- kids aren't strong enough to shoot off hand. Prone is way easier and more accurate to master.

18-Nov-14

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Here is the pad I have him wear-

• Sitka Gear