IdyllwildArcher 04-Dec-14
midwest 04-Dec-14
Southern draw 04-Dec-14
Mad Trapper 04-Dec-14
T-Rex 04-Dec-14
Barty1970 05-Dec-14
stealthycat 05-Dec-14
30-Oct-14
I finally got some time to post up some pictures from my hunt and a little bit of the story. I was fortunate to draw a limited entry tag in SE Wyoming, after only living here for a couple of years. I have a very basic Garmin etrex, most likely from from about 1999, so I did a lot of research and paper-mapping to make sure I understood where the private land boundaries were in this area. I used Google Earth to select a spot to start and went out the last day of Augusts, and Sep. 1 and 2nd. I did see a good sized group with at least one nice bull as soon as I got out there, but the season didn't open until the next day. Hunted hard the 1st and 2nd, saw a ton of seemingly fresh sign but didn't see another elk. This area seems to have a rep for being crowded, but the truth is I didn't see another hunter after I got off the road. I came home disappointed, but the season had just started and I knew I'd get it done. I headed back out that same weekend, 9/6, and got out there nice and early. The area I was hunting is hard to access, but I had found a small strip of state land that hooked up to a large portion of NF land. The downside is it is a very steep, rocky strip up over the mountain, and you have to drop back down the other side to get to the NF land. Here are a couple of pictures from the way up, looking back towards the valley with the access road.

30-Oct-14
 photo DSCF3666_zps9a2573c1.jpg

photo DSCF3662_zps885651cf.jpg

photo DSCF3665_zps224f4fd4.jpg

30-Oct-14
Thanks midwest, I'll try to get the next set of images right. Appreciate it.

30-Oct-14
Just click on the HTML box and it will automatically copy, then paste in the body of your message.

Looking forward to the rest of the story!

30-Oct-14
After a long hike to the top, I decided to follow the ridge line a ways, climbing even higher to get a nice vantage point of the valley. I even managed to find my cheap pair of binoculars that I had left on a ridge on my first trip. Squirrels or something had started to eat the rubber around the eyecups. Lesson learned. I sat and glassed the valley for a bit, took some pictures, and followed the ridgline another 1/4 mile, and heard what sounded like a bugle, I sat and listed closely and I was sure I could hear at least two distinct bugles coming from farther up the ridge. Following that ridge was brutal because if I went down a bit it was deadfall after deadfall, but if I stayed on the ridge I could move silently, but there were car sized boulders and ledges I had to shimmy down and over.

photo DSCF3701_zps0734cd15.jpg

photo DSCF3702_zpse13683b8.jpg

photo DSCF3703_zps1e0f7e0c.jpg

photo elkie3_zps67450407.jpg

30-Oct-14
I followed the ridge until I came to a saddle where it joined a portion of the ridge you can see opposite my side in the pictures above. It's really difficult for me to explain the topography in a story, and I'm sure some of you who hunt the mountains know what I mean. Basically the ridges converged and began a long gentle downslope towards a creek drainage that I had noted on my map. The saddle was covered in elk sign and I wish I had taken pictures, but the trees had years of scrapes on them, and I'm going to see about putting up a trailcam in the Spring.

photo DSCF3707_zps906389e9.jpg

photo DSCF3706_zps8b0e2e9d.jpg

30-Oct-14
I had been hearing bugles but it was difficult to determine the direction, but I decided to head down the slope. By now it was late afternoon and I'd guess I'd covered at least 3.5-4 miles as the crow flies, my bow was getting heavy and I'd eaten the majority of my lunch. I was descending as quietly as I could, I threw a couple of locator bugles at first and got a faint, short response, but after that they went silent for a long while. At one point I must have spooked something because I heard something crashing through the trees about 40 yards ahead of me. I was hoping it wasn't a black bear, I was by myself, although I did have my .380 with me I didn't want to have that encounter. I continued down and found the swampy seep of a spring, there were tracks and an obvious game trail, and a couple of small wallows. At this point I was feeling like I was in the right place and wasn't worried about taking photos of the scenery. I heard a bugle that seemed close, so I quickly set up against a tree along the spring. I let out a couple of decent cow calls, and waited. I sat at that spot for at least 45 minutes waiting for the bull to appear. He never did, and at this point I was feeling discouraged.

31-Oct-14
It was at least 5 by this time, and this was a daytrip so I knew I should start heading back because I had a decent hike out and didn't want the wife to worry. I decided to push just a bit farther down the creek/spring and see if I could at least see something. I walked for probably another mile through some prime elk habitat. Open meadows, tracks everywhere, some bedding sites, still wasn't hearing anything. I had just about decided to turn around when I came around this stand of trees and wouldn't you know there was a nice bull standing on a ledge about 6 feet higher and what I thought was about 30 yards off. Clear line of sight, nothing between us.

31-Oct-14
I knew I was busted, but it seemed like time stood still, and I slowly turned away from him, while at the same time knocking an arrow and sliding my tab around the knock. I don't know what I was thinking, maybe if he just saw the camo on my backside, or if he thought I was leaving he might not spook. I slowly turned back to face the bull as I brought the arrow back and settled my 30 yard pin right behind his front right shoulder. I made a perfect release and watched the arrow sail towards him in slow motion. In retrospect I believe my shot was a little high, and the bull was more likely at 20-25 yards, but with my older bow it doesn't shoot as flat as these speedbows, so that 5-10 yards has a bigger effect on point of impact. Regardless, the arrow solidly found it's mark and immediately the bull took a step back and collapsed backwards into a young tree. I had read plenty about wounded bulls making escapes, so I was quick to knock a second arrow and based on the angle I was at I took a chest shot which penetrated nicely and went right into his boiler room. He was dead within 2-3 minutes of my first shot but it felt like forever.

As I approached, I was shooting from directly to the left, he was perfectly broadside on the side of the rock formation visible in front of him.

photo DSCF3708_zps8a9049ee.jpg

photo DSCF3709_zps659ac473.jpg

photo DSCF3710_zpscc982dcc.jpg

31-Oct-14
Of course, the first thing I did was notch my tag and secure it to his leg as you can see above. The second thing I did, although I am not particularly religious, was to thank Jesus for this opportunity. I was shaking pretty bad and my adrenaline was high. This was my first big game animal, and my first bow kill. I was ecstatic. one of the first things I noticed was he was a heavy 5x5, I was really surprised by the mass. He also has a unique front tine that sticks straight out over his nose. He still had a decent amount of velvet on as well. I took some pictures and then pulled him out a bit to take a look at my initial shot.

photo DSCF3724_zps71a16788.jpg

Keep in mind that he fell back on to this arrow and that is why it is angled forward. The shot was directly perpendicular to his body. I was a little surprised by the penetration, but I am shooting an older bow, not even sure on the speed of it. I was shooting 125 grain 3 blade Muzzy's, and full length arrows. I am really thankful that whatever that initial shot hit but him down quick. Anyone care to guess what I hit? I was thinking it might have angled into his spine, but I'm not sure and I didn't pay any attention while gutting him. I did manage to completely miss the shoulder blade which is another blessing.

31-Oct-14
 photo DSCF3721_zpsaa5a0a3c.jpg

photo DSCF3722_zps248b8c17.jpg

photo DSCF3718_zps1ace70bc.jpg

31-Oct-14
 photo Elkie_zps813eba7c.jpg

I had a hard time getting a good picture because I was by myself and so excited. Got him gutted out, left him whole, and started the hike out before it got too dark. My Uncle and cousin were nice enough to head out with me at 4 the next morning, it had been a nice cool night, truck thermometer said 32. My uncle knew of a trailhead we were able to drive to that put us a little over a mile from where I left him. It was flat, easy walking and followed the creek. I was so thankful we didn't have to go back up and down the mountain, my legs were already killing me.

31-Oct-14
My uncle boiled out the skull for me and were gonna do a euro mount, here's a better picture of his antlers, and he is delicious too. Anyone care to guess what he would score? His left antler is offset, and I think that hurts the width a bit, but he sure is unique. For my first elk I'm pretty proud of him.

photo image_zps1ece6f25.jpeg

photo image1_zps73d2499d.jpeg

Can't wait for next year, definately want to retire the Jennings and get something a bit newer. Fingers crossed I do good in the 2015 draw.

31-Oct-14
Congrats, well done and old school to boot.

31-Oct-14
Nice Job!! You don't see a lot of guys taking too the woods with older equipment, they seem to think that only new bows kill elk but you got it done just the same. Way to go and congrats on your first bull!

I'd say you hit the main artery along the bottom of the spine and probably knicked the spinal cord. It was a very good idea to put another arrow in him. Keep shooting till they quit moving or you run out of arrows.

I shoot fingers with a hoyt protec and the longer ATA is more friendly on the fingers.

31-Oct-14
Great story. No high tech anything. Really nice mass on that 5 point.

One thing worth mentioning... in the future you may want to quarter your bull out before leaving it. Otherwise the side on the ground can really retain heat and you could lose some meat. Quartering it and getting the parts off of the ground is the way to go.

That's a heck of a first animal! Congratulations!

31-Oct-14
Nice bull! Congratulations.

31-Oct-14
Very nice!! Congrats

31-Oct-14
Very cool bull and a great story! Congrats!

Love the old Jennings! T-Star?

31-Oct-14
Mule is right. I did the same thing on my first elk and, while I didn't lose any meat, the side facing the ground was still warm the next morning (and the night was in the 20s).

Can you age that beast? With that mass, it just looks like an older elk.

BTW - if you write this up in Elk Hunter, next year all the hunters will be using the 'Slow Turn, Backside Camo Draw'. Maybe you should put a trademark on that?

Very nice story and elk.

31-Oct-14
That's one cool bull! Congratulations on a job well done and especially getting it done alone!! WTG!

31-Oct-14
Congrats! Cool story and very nice bull! I guess 270. Mike

31-Oct-14
Congratulations!!!

31-Oct-14
Those photos must be fake because you can't kill an elk without a new, $1000 bow! :)

31-Oct-14
Way to get it done! Congrats

31-Oct-14
Very nice!! Congrats on a great first bull!!

31-Oct-14
Wow, first bowkill, solo, with an old dinosaur bow, and shooting fingers no less!

Super impressive!

31-Oct-14
Very cool story! Congrats on an awesome bull!

01-Nov-14
Congrats on your first animal! Very nice writeup too.

Good luck in next year's draw as well!

01-Nov-14
interesting bull congrats

01-Nov-14
Love the bow, love the story, love the bull! Congrats all the way around, and that is a great bull. Way to go after it and not be daunted.

I like the way you didn't freeze up when he saw you. I've had that same thought and done the same thing myself at different times. When animals bust you like that you got nothing to lose at that point, so might as well try. Every so often it works!

Congrats again!

02-Nov-14
Congrats on a nice bull!

02-Nov-14
Congratulations on a first great elk! Thanks for sharing!

02-Nov-14
Heck of first animal, congratulations.

03-Nov-14
good lord that's a HUGE 5 point~ way to go man.

03-Nov-14
huge congrats! Year five for me is in the books and no elk meat in the freezer. Such an awesome first elk there!

03-Nov-14
Well done! You did your homework and that's critical to that area. Congrats!

03-Nov-14
Way to go. Quite an adventure! Glad to hear another finger shooter had some success!

05-Nov-14
Thank you Jesus for sure! Congrats.

03-Dec-14
 photo 1522814_783185415088200_2206059340412578771_o_zps2962234e.jpg

I got my elk back from my uncle and I think it turned out great. The size of it really surprised me, we were planning on hanging it in the living room but there was no way that was happening, so it's above the backdoor landing. Thanks for all of the positive words everybody. The bow is a 1979 Jennings Shooting Star. I tried to measure it out using the P&Y scoring method, I figured if it qualifies, might as well get a certificate to hang on the wall and my name in the book, if anything my kids will get a kick out of it when they're older, and the scoring fee supports a great organization. Anyways, I scored him at 269.6 net. Here are the measurements, if something doesn't look right let me know. Right: Main Beam:39.25" G1:13.75" G2:14.75" G3:15.5" G4:13.25" H1:8.5" H2:6.75" H3:6" H4:4.75" Right Gross:123"

Left: Main Beam:40" G1:14.5" G2:10.5" G3:15.75" G4:13.50" H1:8.5" H2:7.25" H3:7" H4:5.75" Left Gross:122.75"

Spread Credit:31"

He does have a little devils tine on his left G1 and I didn't calculate that in, but I believe it would deduct another 1". My measurements were rough, so I'm hoping when I go get him scored it makes the minimum. If not, oh well....still my most memorable hunt.

04-Dec-14
Congrats! One of the best kills ive seen this year.

04-Dec-14
Great bull and great story!

Grats on your first kill, that's awesome, I'm super happy for you! Love the old school stuff too

I'd be really surprised if that bull didn't make 260 inches.

He looks like an old bull that has survived some fights by the angle on his antlers.

Quite an accomplishment!

"The area I was hunting is hard to access, but I had found a small strip of state land that hooked up to a large portion of NF land. The downside is it is a very steep, rocky strip up over the mountain, and you have to drop back down the other side to get to the NF land. Here are a couple of pictures from the way up, looking back towards the valley with the access road."

Ideal. I look for areas where no other sane person would go. That's where I'm looking to find elk and mulies.

04-Dec-14
Really love the offset pedicles!

04-Dec-14
Congrats nice story and Bull

04-Dec-14
CONGRATS!!!

04-Dec-14
Congrats!! Awesome bull and story!

05-Dec-14
The mount looks really good, and I like the fact you've added your tag and your killing arrow.

Best of luck when you have him scored

05-Dec-14
I'm more impressed you use an ancient bow like that !! geeesh, might as well shoot recurves !!

Cool hunt, great trophy

• Sitka Gear