huntingbob 21-Jun-15
Lost Arra 21-Jun-15
standswittaknife 21-Jun-15
midwest 21-Jun-15
cityhunter 21-Jun-15
cityhunter 21-Jun-15
ELKDIY 21-Jun-15
06-Nov-14
I have no affiliation with any company, but after a lot of reading and research I chose the Exo Mountain Gear 5500 pack for my hunting & bivy pack. It's an expensive pack, and one day I'd like to buy the 3500 that also fits the same frame but I can only afford the one for now, therefore I went with the larger of the two.

After a brutal wyoming elk hunt, it was definately time to invest in a better more lightweight pack and this one has all the features.

I had it narrowed down to Kuiu and Exo Mountain, and the key factor in Exo was the additional meat storage between the frame and pack itself. I just wanted to be able to get one good load out while miles in without having to get the inside of my $500 dollar pack bloody. They are on backorder but since elk season is over that's no big deal. They are changing their camo from ASAT to Multicam, but that's no big deal to me. Camo it what it is...

Anyone else have experience with this pack?

06-Nov-14
Read lots of really good reviews on them. I contemplated selling my MR Longbow and buying one, but bought the Metcalf bag instead.

What pack did you use in the past?

The 5500 cubes should be plenty for what you're wanting to do. I packed into the Rubies with 9 days of food and gear in my Metcalf, which I think is 5100 cubes. Came out with my deer and camp in one load.

06-Nov-14
I basically used a pack-frame and attached my Badlands Hybrid to it. Can't wait to get this pack as we are planning either a Wyo or Colorado pack hunt this next fall.

06-Nov-14
There are some great packs out there right now. This year alone I've used Exo 3500, Kifaru T1, Kifaru Nomad, Kifaru EMR2, MR Metcalf,, KUIU Ultra 3000 and a KUIU Icon Pro 5200. I would rank the EXO somewhere in the middle of the pack from the ones I tested. The EXO is a very nice pack, but it is no Kifaru. Tons of great competition... But it also doesn't cost as much as a Kifaru.

I am going to do my review of the packs I tested in December. Packs are a very personal thing and fit is about as important as the fit of your boots....stay tuned...

06-Nov-14
thanks kota.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Kifaru does NOT have a separate meat storage does it? You simple either have to remove the contents and get your bag dirty or strap the meat to the outside of the pack. thanks,

06-Nov-14
Your afraid to get your pack bloody? Heck, that's the first thing I do :)

06-Nov-14
Stands, That is not correct. Kifaru has a meat shelf attachment that allows for meat between frame and bag.

No reason what so ever to get any pack bloody when hauling meat inside the bag.

06-Nov-14
Thanks all,

I'd rather keep the meat outside of the pack if at all possible. Not afraid to get the pack bloody per se, would just rather not get the inside of the pack bloody for obvious reasons. I've been on Kifaru's website and for some reason do not see this option. I like the optional meat shelf from exo as it gets the weight off the bottom of the pack and helps centralize the quarters more.

06-Nov-14

06-Nov-14

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Folks that use a load sling or pack meat in between the frame and bag, I realize it's somewhat popular and guys only buy packs that can do it, but isn't it a pain to loosen up the bag and make room, etc? I've never done it, always just used game bags and thrown quarters, meat and hide inside the pack.

I'd guess both have advantages but getting a little blood on the inside of my pack really never bothered me.

06-Nov-14
I got my pack bloody hauling meat in Colorado in 2013, and I washed it out at the processor that same day... To this day it still smells slightly like a rotted piece of meat.. I'd personally be hesitant to ever do it again or at least put the meat and game bags into a garbage bag for the hike out. I've scrubbed that pack with soap and water several times since trying to rid the smell with no luck..

Josh

06-Nov-14

JLS's embedded Photo
JLS's embedded Photo
Nick,

Took all of about five minutes the first time I did it.

06-Nov-14
I'm one of those guys that will only consider a pack I can haul meat with outside a pack. And by that I mean sandwiched in between the frame and the pack. You can do that easily with the Duplex frame from Kifaru and most any of their packs. I like the inside of my pack clean, LOVE blood on the outside, and want that meat load as close to my back as possible. I also love packs that have a load sling in between the bag and the frame. Stone Glacier does this well too and their packs are featherweight. I dig my Approach as a day pack that can haul out a serious load, like a quartered deer in one trip. The EXO load sling option really looks awesome and I look forward to trying one out. If they'd only get their act together, and actually offer them for sale!

06-Nov-14
Hunting with my 1850 on my back with gear, I'll loosen up the straps and use the meat shelf. It only takes a few minutes.

If I'm using the 5000 or 7200, everything goes inside. I use a garbage bag as a liner and or use seam sealed Kifaru meat bags which don't leak.

Ace - Packing meat out for my buddies, I had some blood leaking out into the main bag. They had the stretchy cotton game bags and my contractor bag had been abused. It was several days later that I got the opportunity to clean it. I just rinsed and soaked the bag for a few hours and then washed with some vinegar and then scent free soap. Don't know that it'll help long after the fact, but you might try.

06-Nov-14
Thanks, I'll give it a try Orionsbrother....

06-Nov-14
I did like Orion.

Toss it in a front load washer, a little regular soap, and add some distilled white vinegar in the water softener tray.

06-Nov-14
Also, Danny, how did you decide to buy this pack when you can't right now? Their website doesn't even offer them. You got an inside track?

06-Nov-14
Nate, I called and got on their waiting list. Since I don't need them until next season, I'm in no hurry. Steve said that they would be ready to ship in December or January.

07-Nov-14
Seriously? First it said October on the website, now it says November. And you are hearing January? Did they learn supply chain management from Kuiu? I don't get it. People are beating down your door to buy your stuff and you have an opportunity to make money, but you can't offer it to them? And in the middle of hunting season when people want packs most? Hello......

08-Nov-14
I don't disagree at all but I'm going to hang in there a couple months

08-Nov-14
When you use a stateside sew house, you have limits on the amount of production you can get done.

Which is why business owners go offshore....

Add in no history and it's gotta be tough.

09-Nov-14
I have the stoneglacier sky5100 and I love it! It has the meat shelf between the frame and bag and no waiting list! Great people to deal with

13-Nov-14
Steve,

Why drop ASAT as an option? That was going to be my choice in pack options, given that you do not offer it in Predator camo (which obviously would be my first choice)!

Thanks.

14-Nov-14
Thanks for the update Steve. What's the word on getting your packs in to the UK market?

14-Nov-14
Steve does a great job of communicating and glad to see they are catching up.

21-Jun-15
So now we are a 7 months later. Are you going to be offering the packs in ASAT? No reason to complain but just wondering? Bob.

21-Jun-15
Steve discussed ASAT on another forum and it did not sound like they will be using it anytime soon if at all.

21-Jun-15
I did receive my pack last week. Very happy with it. Just in time to train for september..

21-Jun-15
Wow! Over 7 months?

Enjoy! I have my first high end pack coming this week.

21-Jun-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
cityhunter's embedded Photo
my dog would sit for hours licking up the blood off packs and gear. Blood on a pack dosent bother me !

21-Jun-15
pack looks like a MR Crew

21-Jun-15
Like Kota I have packed out meat with MR, Exo, Kuiu and now Kifaru. I prefer to keep the meat on the outside. I picked up the grab-it Gand use it on the new Mountain Warrior by Kifaru. Works great. The fit and weight distribution on kifaru packs are solid. The Exo pack is a great pack but after using a Kifaru I have to admit the fit is for me.

Kota offers some great reviews on packs. He tests them in the field. Good advice from a fellow hunter who puts the packs to the test.

• Sitka Gear