huntingbob 10-Nov-14
idacurt 10-Nov-14
Heat 10-Nov-14
TD 10-Nov-14
ShadowWalker 10-Nov-14
ShadowWalker 10-Nov-14
WapitiBob 10-Nov-14
09-Nov-14
I currently have an eberlestock j134, I'm not impressed with it. I like it as a day pack but imo its a poor hauler. Is there anything that will meet my needs or will I be stuck w/ 2packs?

09-Nov-14
It's been discussed at length every year. There are many options open to you. Your hunting style and needs will dictate the direction you go.

For an over nighter or less, with everything I need to haul elk or antelope, I use a kifaru bikini frame and a long pocket below a compressed genII meat bag. You will have plenty of other suggestions to read thru.

09-Nov-14

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
Ready to hunt

09-Nov-14
Stone Glacier Kifaru Mystery Ranch EXO

09-Nov-14

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Kifaru duplex frame. Can carry more weight then your legs can handle. I use a Highcamp bag on a duplex frame for extended hunts and packing quarters out.

I use a Kifaru late season pack as a day pack. It Carrys meat well too. Pictures here is the late Seaon. Two boned out rear quarters in the bag.

09-Nov-14
One of my biggest concerns is the pack extending above my shoulders and getting hung up on branches. I'm certainly interested in the kifaru's, I'm also anxious to read the pack review coming this dec. I was looking at the duplex and the bikini, looks like the duplex may be more my liking. I just wish I could handle the packs before I drop coin. But I certainly cannot refute the positive reviews of the Kifs.

09-Nov-14
Ohio-

You can handle the pack(s). Call the companies you're interested and be straight with them - tell them you can't possibly purchase without wearing it first. Then have them explain their return policy. Order 4 or 5 packs from different companies (at the same time), try them all, without wear and tear, and return (for a full refund) the ones you don't like.

09-Nov-14
Check out the Nimrod system called the "Wilderness Pack".

I just hauled a totally de-boned Whitetail buck and horns, out of wilderness area, that required I gain 700 feet of elevation from kill site to the truck. Carrying three layers of clothes, a liter of water, calls, etc... Pack weighed in at almost 50 pounds and was very comfortable and performed flawlessly.

It is a fanny pack with a harness system, that has a deployable meat hauler, with a aluminum frame you assemble and put in the deployable bag when carrying your meat. I can't express how great a pack this is for a hunter who wants to carry all their gear, and their game out in one trip. It hauls as well as anything I've used. And, best of all, it is a compact, light system that says stowed away until you need the hauler. American made and Guaranteed for life. God Bless

09-Nov-14
Ohio, I built the first lifter extension for the MR Nice frame back in 2010. It extended the lifters 6". The only time it hit anything was when I had to get on my knees to get under fallen trees. Regular hunting I've not had any problems. I rifle hunt in WY and if spotting/shooting prone, your head will hit with most of the long 26" frames when your head's tilted way back.

09-Nov-14
I have both the Kifaru Duplex and a Stone Glacier. I also have the same issue with crawling through overhead brush. I hunt pigs in nasty stuff and find myself crawling often. IMO, the SG frame gets hung up a lot less. At lease with the Approach bag, which is what I use for a day pack. I think the reason for this is that the top of the bag does not extend up to the stays, so for the top several inches of the stays, there is nothing between them. It's also a bit more narrow and more maneuverable too. I love my Kifaru DTI for multiday hunts, but I also love my SG for day hunting with the ability to haul out a big load.

09-Nov-14
What exactly are you using it for?

Day hunting and getting a quarter out? Overnight bivys and all game packing?

Capacity?

09-Nov-14
Day hunting for now. I haven't had the opportunity to do any pack hunts. I'd like it to be comfortable to pack out also.

So here is what I did this year. I took out the prime cuts on the first trip w/ my j134, then grabbed my horn hunter and packed the rest out. After having used both packs I'm not a fan of either and would like to have a pack that does it all. I don't like the idea of getting hung up when stooping under branches.

Wapiti, I like the idea of the extensions on the MR. I've never seen them. I'll look into those for sure.

09-Nov-14

WapitiBob's Link
Ohio, here is a discussion of the extensions:

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=256430

I only use one pack for everything. My setup above works for day hunts and single nights. I packed out my Bull and 4 Antelope, everything I needed is in the lower long pocket. My puffy is in the Gen II. If I'm going longer I will just put my Nomad on the frame. Gil_WY has a similar setup with a Stone Glacier frame and a 3rd party bag. His setup may be big enough for multi-day but I'm not sure.

You can also use a Kifaru pack that has internal stays so you don't have a frame above your shoulders. My elk hunting partner had one I thought was a Timberline. Aron at Kifaru can get you lined out on their pack options.

10-Nov-14
Number one! Save yourself some money and do not start off with a Kelty Cache hualer.( I did this! ) They look good for load hauling but not so. They do adjust some but you would be better off spending your money on a quality pack that will haul in all of gear and and your meat back to the truck. Which one will be your decision. I prefer ones made in America! Kifaru would be my first choice and Mystery Ranch a close second. There are some new ones to look at.. so research it. Bob.

10-Nov-14
Stone Glacier Solo,EXO mountain gear,Kuiu

10-Nov-14
I'm running a setup very similar to WapitBob's. I have the Kifaru Duplex Frame with the Hunting Cargo Panel which is versatile enough to carry one large item like an elk quarter or treestand or several smaller items like duffel bags, etc. I am using a Longhunter Lid like a day pack with my personal items in it and have the Cargo Panel stuffed into a small Pod at the bottom of the frame that can be pulled out when required. My water is attached to the frame in a Camelbak Unbottle under the Longhunter Lid. This is a very sleek and light set up stout and versatile enough to handle just about any load I can carry in or out.

10-Nov-14
Pretty much the same as Heat and WapitiBob, Duplex frame, my own fannypack as top lid, cargo panel, pocket for kill kit and a pod for clothing. If hauling camp a drybag or three in the cargo panel. Takes a while to dial it in, modular isn't for everyone. But it's crazy versatile, perfect for everything I do, from living in the truck with just kill kit and panel as a pure hauler to adding on pouches and pockets for day hunts to packing in camp.

My frame is the mmr duplex, the 24" frame. The height still gets in the way from time to time but isn't too far over the shoulders. For me it hunts much better than the taller frames. And fits better as a carry-on when flying.

The load lifters aren't at as efficient an angle for hauling as the taller 26" frames are. The taller frames as better at that. But I've had 100lb loads in it before. The legs knew it was a load but no real discomfort from the pack as I've had from others in the past.

10-Nov-14
Heat, WapitiBob, TD any pics of your pack setup that you would like to share. I'm in the same boat as ohiohunter. I have an Eberlestock Dragonfly. It's a nice pack. It's just heavy. The Dragonfly is destined for CL after the season is over. I have been looking at the Kifaru but can't make a decision.

10-Nov-14
Sorry, guys. I just noticed WapitiBobs pic at the beginning of the thread.

10-Nov-14

This is the Gen II with an Antelope in it. The options are pretty much endless. You could use about any bag. My HighCamp 4800 was just too big for me. This year, my Elk hunt was in a roaded but non motorized area. I biked in opening weekend but after that, just rode in and hunted. I found that I didn't use the wings on my Nomad but filled the lower long pocket, so for 2014 just left the Nomad off and used the Gen II for my puffy. When we did an overnight, the straps on the long pocket were long enough to lash my bag down. My pad went in the Gen II. If I had much more gear, like a stove, food, water pump, etc, the gen II would have been at capacity and I wouldn't have had any room for critters. My partners this year had Timberlines, one with a Bikini and one without. Both used as day packs and both hauled critters in the bags without issue. Several guys have mentioned their preference is to sandwich the meat. Lots of different ways to get from A to B. Give Aron a call too. he's used badlands, MR, and a host of other packs besides Kifaru. He has no problem recommending another brand if it will fit your needs better.

• Sitka Gear