elkstabber 14-Nov-14
elkstabber 14-Nov-14
Jim B 14-Nov-14
killinstuff 14-Nov-14
Bou'bound 15-Nov-14
DonVathome 20-Nov-14
huntinelk 20-Nov-14
13-Nov-14
Any tips on how to tell bison vs. elk tracks apart? Not just size, I have a cow bison tag - roughly same size as a bull elk.

13-Nov-14
Stride length was the only way I could tell bull elk from cattle

13-Nov-14
Bison track look like cattle tracks. Elk tracks look like deer tracks.

Bison and cattle very square with rounded tips. Elk, more elongated and sharper tips.

Terry

13-Nov-14
Elk and bison tracks are like night and day

13-Nov-14
Yep, bison look like cattle tracks. Wide and stubby in shape when compared to elk. In soft ground a single track can look almost the same frontwards or backwards.

14-Nov-14

elkstabber's embedded Photo
Here you go. I drew an archery tag and killed a cow bison on the Kaibab Plateau in AZ (House Rock herd). Here is a photo of her rear foot.

14-Nov-14

For your reference also that was an 8-10 year old cow and her weight was estimated at 850-900 pounds. The meat yield was very nearly 500 pounds! (Buffalo typically yield over 50% of their whole weight) In case you are interested I had the horns scored and they netted 79 4/8 P&Y, which is well under the 100" minimum.

Good luck on your hunt. They are an amazing animal to hunt.

14-Nov-14

Jim B's embedded Photo
Jim B's embedded Photo
Front and rear elk feet.

14-Nov-14
Yeah a cow elk and cow bison are not even close in size or foot print. If you kill a bison I hope you have friends with extra space in their freezers cause theres a lot of meat. After 6 months of choking down nothing but buffalo, you'll kill a calf the next time.

15-Nov-14
if you kill a bison with a foot the size of an elk foot you'll enjoy the young calf's meat, but you shot the wrong bison!

20-Nov-14
I was guessing a cow bison track would be roughly the same size as a bull elk? They weigh almost the same?

I was hoping they were similar to moooo cows, so that helps, thanks.

20-Nov-14
Don,

When are you going out?

• Sitka Gear